Cord, I'm afraid I have to question your brilliance on this one.

When I started karate, we trained in the YMCA swimming pool, doing basics and kata, and learning to use the resistance of the water to make our techniques function "in or out" of the water. The dynamic pressure on all the body causes you to be slower in most cases, and the goal was to move as quickly in the water as we did "dry".

Fast forward a while, and go to the beach. We trained there, where we ran on the sand, climbed sand dunes, and then did kata and techniques "against the waves" that clearly knocked us off balance. The goal there was to reagain our balance and execute technique. We also learned a lot about not meeting force "head on" from ocean training.

Maybe you don't think it did any good, but my long term experience is that it taught us a lot, both about our own reactions to movement, and about our balance. We also used a large trampoline and weight room equipment to train.

Almost anybody in our school could put a punch through you that was a "stopper"... which factors back into that argument about "one punch" training (argument for another day). I would attribute those skills to all of the methods we used, and water training was a part of that.

What we learned in the water was that you had to work punches and kicks "along the body centerline" so that they didn't "float independently" when you punched and kicked, and kept the body as centered as possible when in the water. There were too many other nuances to go into a "listing" here, but we found the training to be very effective, and helped our power tremendously.