we certainly won't learn anything from arguing the same stuff over and over, so sure - why not.

people are a product of their experience - and naturally that is projected onto how we interpret kata and how we choose to use it as a training tool. not to mention people's goals/interests and intents are different.

I think the temptation (or sometimes motivation if pushing seminars and DVD's) is for people to crosstrain and/or gain outside influence to add to their art, while wanting to attribute what they do to a perception of 'older' and therefore a 'true-er' essence of study in their classical sense of their art. Which is how you get BJJ/JJ/MMA/Judo/Shuai-Jiao trained Karateka selling DVD's under the older and more romantic title "Tegumi" or even "The lost bunkai of Channan kata and the Temple of Doom".

While it could be a great mix of experience and packaged into a well-delivered training method, it's still purposely deceptive with the motive to sell a view/impression (if even for just status/reputation and not for money). Luring with romanticized history.

blending what you have available and what meets your needs/interests is good stuff. personally, I'd like to see more acceptance and willingness for people to blend their arts across all karate styles and arts. there is no reason for all the styles....ALL Karate is hard and soft

style agnostic Karate...what would that look like, I wonder?