Quote:

I guess the difference between the attitude of posts is his honesty of saying that he saw principles a different way in kata after he was trained in BJJ. ...as oppossed to giving the impression that the principles were learned from kata which were handed down untainted from master to master for centuries right to you.

That's just it Ed, when did I say this. The fact is I didn't. I have always maintained that my wrestling experience at 14 allowed me to see the similarites between the karate I was studying and the grappling I was learning. I even said that to understand them it was necessary to study grappling. The difference is I began training karate in February of 1990 and I began wrestling in November of 1990. Therefore my karate and grappling evolved together. So I have always seen the principles they shared. I then discussed my training in no gi bjj for a brief time which confirmed some of the things I had been working on and taught me some new stuff. The thing is this is not an integration of bjj with karate. This is understanding the underlying principles of using specific tools to fight and then applying them. Where have I stated otherwise Ed? Again, this is another example of perceptions coloring an individual's ability to objectively analyze what they have written.

Quote:

one attitude is sharing honest perception and gives credit where it's due; the other tries too hard to legitimize anachronistic systems by gaining outside skill, and then attributing that awareness/skill to the traditional system, in the hopes of proving their point of "it was always there".

Again Ed, where have I stated that I achieved skill only through karate training. I have always said my combative skill was gained through a variety of places including karate, wrestling, football, etc. I just like to give credit where credit is due. How about this. What if I said, " Can I grapple today? Bet your a$$. Do I beleive Okinawan Karate to be complete? Yes I do. I have been studying these principles for over twenty years. Had I not been introduced to Gracie Jiu Jitsu, I might not be using the principles on the ground today. I had the concepts and principles all along, I just needed to apply them in a different direction."