Allow me to first say that I am indeed a philosophical person but concerning this issue I think people concentrate too much on philosophy and not enough on science.

People love to over complacate things by making or referenceing some proverb or expression but jkd to me is the polar opposite of those tendencies. Like everyone has already said essentially jkd is about simplicity and also about results, when I say results I mean its not about anything but finding the quickest and most effective ways to beat someone in mortal combat.

Even though Lee majored in philosophy and obviously loved to use his philosophical ability to explain his methods the fact is that jkd is not philosophical at all, its simply like saying ' how can i crush this person in combat in a relatively short amount of time ? '.

jkd to me has never and still is not a style of concrete method of any kind, most of the jkd that is tought is not jkd at all its merely imitateing lee's movements. I believe thats why he ordered his schools to be torn down because people was not practicing jkd that only copied him and did not search and modify it to work best for them selves which is what jkd is also about.

List of key words for jkd to me

Self Discovery ' in combat '
Technique Refinement
Simplicity
Rapid Change ' as in, from being relatively still to suddenly close range to your opponent rapidly attacking him '
Deception ' as in, yin concealing yang and vice versa when you punch with your right hand your left hand is concealed but ready to attack and does unexpectedly, when you attack with your left hand your kick is concealed but potentially there so therefore after the left punch kick, when you kick your elbow is waiting to attack soon after so then after the kick attack violently with your elbows and punches, these all interchange and happen as a result of each other perhaps not in that order or also with other techniques but within all techniques there should be another technique concealed and waiting to attack.

Its like relentless attack, one minute your relatively slow and at long range the next second your all the sudden at mid and close range relentlessly attacking at ever growing speed and force.

Also like lee said and i'm sure you all know its about punching thru your opponent not at them, this could simply mean exactly what it says or it could also mean ' do not chase your opponent around like some sort of dance, when your close enough go thru them with whatever technique you can and stop them in their tracks ' . in other words control your opponent do not let them control you. lead them do on not let them lead you on. of course Lee was just explaining how to put more power or impact into your punch. Which does help alot.

I think fearlessness is also a factor in jkd, its been awhile since i read his books but i think he mentions something about ' laying your life in your opponents hands ' meaning do not care rather you die or lose or win only fight and whatever happens will happen naturally.

I could have got alot more philosophical and spoken a bit more proper on this subject but i've done it so many times before i think that people miss the whole point of jkd when they focus on philosophies and proverbs alike, so instead of adding anything more I will paste what jkd is in Mr. Lee's own words which are simple and direct.

I have not invented a "new style," composite, modified or otherwise that is set within distinct form as apart from "this" method or "that" method. On the contrary, I hope to free my followers from clinging to styles, patterns, or molds. Remember that Jeet Kune Do is merely a name used, a mirror in which to see "ourselves". . . Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. The extraordinary part of it lies in its simplicity. Every movement in Jeet Kune-Do is being so of itself. There is nothing artificial about it. I always believe that the easy way is the right way. Jeet Kune-Do is simply the direct expression of one's feelings with the minimum of movements and energy. The closer to the true way of Kung Fu, the less wastage of expression there is. Finally, a Jeet Kune Do man who says Jeet Kune Do is exclusively Jeet Kune Do is simply not with it. He is still hung up on his self-closing resistance, in this case anchored down to reactionary pattern, and naturally is still bound by another modified pattern and can move within its limits. He has not digested the simple fact that truth exists outside all molds; pattern and awareness is never exclusive. Again let me remind you Jeet Kune Do is just a name used, a boat to get one across, and once across it is to be discarded and not to be carried on one's back.

That paragraph I completely agree with and understand as seeing a reflection of my own thoughts so my opinion of what jkd is is exactly the same as Mr. lee explained himself above in that paragraph. To me its very simple and in fact if the discussion becomes complex then its actually moving further away from the purpose of jkd.

The more complex people make it sound the less they understand. Jkd is about simplicity and being adapt in real combat, its simple and direct, there is no rules or techniques that you have to use and there is no standard in which to choose, It is only that which you make of it.

' using no way as way, having no limitation as limitation ' those words clearly express what its about to me. You do not have to take a course or train in jkd at a school to practice jkd all you have to do no matter what style you practice rather its karate, jujutsu, muai thai, wing chun, bagua zhang, aikido, hung gar, or any other style, if you use lee's principles as guidelines in your martial art then you are practicing jkd.

I would like to Point out the most important part of his paragraph relative to this topic

' Jeet Kune Do is not an organized institution that one can be a member of. Either you understand or you don't, and that is that. There is no mystery about my style. My movements are simple, direct and non-classical. '

Take care everyone, see you next time.

Edited by RoninKurosawa (06/28/07 02:22 PM)