Quote:

[I teach a very simple strategy for self-defense. It’s easy to implement. Training however is two hours long, covers the three core ranges (standing, clinch, ground) and can be exhausting. People sweat and move. Advil is
So again, “strategy” is one thing. The simpler the better. Training however is more arduous, though it isn’t necessarily more complex at the same time. Perhaps it is the difference between simple and easy. Training is simple, though it isn’t easy.

-John

The more complex the movement, the more difficult it is to execute, and the more concious effort you will have to put in. This means that while your brain is occupied with what you are doing, you could be getting hit.
I believe that the simpler the attack, the more you mind can be freed to work on strategy or defending against counters.

What i find in my class though, is that during standup, many of the students feel the need to throw spin kicks with alarming regularity, when a simple straight lead with a step in will suffice. When these people spar, it quickly ends up that they are getting countered, but they still don't listen (their loss really) because they want to look good.
I've also noticed that when i spar, the quickest shots are the ones that land while the big moves are the ones that finish. So it follows that in order to become good, we should aim to make our quickest shots powerful, which means jab, jab, jab. Not only can this technique completely finish an opponent after a lot of practice, but it opens up so many opportunities. In fact there is usually a remarkable difference in the overall fighting ability between someone who has mastered the jab, and someone who hasn't, just because of this one move.

Quote:

That’s good, but keep in mind that Bruce would rather you to look like “you” than “him”. That’s the whole point of JKD, liberation from form, patterns and molds. If you “looked just like Bruce Lee”, you’d simply be in another mold. Food for thought.

If it looks like Bruce's though, it is probably good technique. There are only so many ways the human body can move, and i KNOW that i'm learning it in my own way, even though it looks similar (not as good obvoiusly). It also makes me realise just how much training he put in, and just how much effort it takes to be the very best you can be. Had he lived, he would probably have shown us so much more.

Just as i'm writing this, I'm realising that the principles he left behind are sufficient for reaching our potential.Come to think of it, he probably would have gone down the same path that the entire martial arts world is currently exploring (except for the classical, unchanging types who refuse to take advantage of the overwhelming evidence of what works). Sorry to bring this up again, but i feel so strongly about it that i just can't let it go.

Anyway, yes, keep it simple. Master a small number of the fastest, simplest and most direct techniques, instead of sampling all of the many hundreds of thousands of possibilities.

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (08/10/06 12:28 PM)