SmithNWessonDo wrote
Quote:

If you follow the Wikipedia definition, the part that says JKD is more of a "process" than a "product", then you're not talking about much difference here. If you believe, like I firmly do after meeting some of his original students, that JKD is a product of a man's process and is adaptable to most fighting situations that don't involve weapons but is its own system, then differences in methodology become more apparent.

That is where I differ. I too have met some of his original students, particularly from the later years (the LA scene). Larry Hartsell is the primary voice that Iím listening to. His opinion jibes with my own. And thatís what it often comes down to doesnít it? (Opinions).

Quote:

When it all comes down to it, we all only have two hands and two feet. The differences between the fighting arts, however, are with methods of executing certain movements and with the purpose for which the art is used. The difference between what you would use grappling for and for what you would use striking to vital organs is one example of that.

Movements are movements. They are amazingly similar. We can only move in so many ways. I think youíre over analyzing things just a bit here.

Quote:

What I do now has absolutely nothing to do with JKD. Methods such as stop-hitting are forbidden and economy of movement really goes out the window a lot of the time in order to make a use of force application or an arrest more legally defensible.

JKD isnít defined by the stop-hit. Economy of motion simply means using the least amount of energy and movements necessary to achieve an end result. Iíd be willing to bet that you are using economy of motion more often that you realize. You probably use interception quite a bit more than you realize as well. The word is not the thing.

Quote:

The strong side of the body is placed in the back in order to retain the pistol in its holster while conducting interviews or while physically controlling a suspect with bare hands or handcuffs.

You donít have to go strong side forward. Just because LEE did it doesnít mean that you or I have to. That was *LEEís* JKD, not mine. Youíre confusing JKD with a product and not the process that it is.

Quote:

The "longest weapon to closest target" principle goes out the window. The five ways of attack mostly do not apply. Attack by drawing? That's a good way to get my gun taken from me and shot with it.

So you absorb what is useful and reject what is useless. You DO understand the JKD philosophy, correct? Judging by your posts, you donít have a true grasp of the matter.

Quote:

The only root method of JKD that remains relevant to DT is the mobile footwork. Considering the stance is not the same, that is also a bit different in execution, although the spirit of delivery is similar.

Certainly, training methods used in JKD and other martial arts can be used for development, but when it all comes down to it the combat applications are merely supplementary. The objective is to neutralize a person's aggression, not to overcome it or overpower it.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the point of what is JKD.

Quote:

Look at the objective of defensive tactics as well as the methodology and you'll agree after a while it has nothing to do with JKD.

That would depend on who you ask. JKD utilizes all ways and is bound by none. Want to argue that point and you argue with the founder of the art himself.

-John