Quote:

Quote:

If you read those volumes compiled by John Little, there is a memo handwritten by Bruce Lee explaining to one of his students that mixing martial arts together is not the same is the simplifying and re-simplifying process of jeet kune do. It even has an algebraic equation on the page describing it.

I agree that mixing arts together isn't necessarily JKD. Thats akin to cross-training. Of course that isn't MMA either, imo. This is awfully close to being an argument about semantics. There IS however the approach of cross-training and, the training of MMA and in my opinion, JKD.

However, we're really talking more about HOW those arts are practiced than the arts themselves. I don't BELIEVE in "style" or art per se. Any mention of fighting arts being different from each other is really nothing but an illusion. It all comes down to how you train.

So long as you aren't cross-training, how is JKD any different from anything else?

Quote:

For example, these days I personally practice a contorted system of defensive tactics used by police, security, and military personnel that uses tools such as compliance holds, basic grappling holds, handcuffing, and weapons, but no striking. This is supplemented by footwork similar to what I practiced in jeet kune do, trapping hands from Wing Chun, grappling methods from jujitsu courses I've taken, but still retains the development of scientific attributes from JKD. I suppose this would constitute a mixed martial arts system, but it is no longer jeet kune do.

Why is it any different than jeet kune do?

-John

These two questions are answered by what JKD is by definition. If you follow the Wikipedia definition, the part that says JKD is more of a "process" than a "product", then you're not talking about much difference here. If you believe, like I firmly do after meeting some of his original students, that JKD is a product of a man's process and is adaptable to most fighting situations that don't involve weapons but is its own system, then differences in methodology become more apparent.

When it all comes down to it, we all only have two hands and two feet. The differences between the fighting arts, however, are with methods of executing certain movements and with the purpose for which the art is used. The difference between what you would use grappling for and for what you would use striking to vital organs is one example of that.

Then there is the aspect of the art form. Many martial arts were developed as a stylized system of art, not just a "fighting method" or "combat method".

What I do now has absolutely nothing to do with JKD. Methods such as stop-hitting are forbidden and economy of movement really goes out the window a lot of the time in order to make a use of force application or an arrest more legally defensible. In fact, many times movements are purposefully disjointed in order to implement more dialogue and verbal commands while bringing a suspect under control. Indeed, punching and kicking are forbidden under most circumstances. Training with those methods only serves as a means to be able to counter such attacks.

The strong side of the body is placed in the back in order to retain the pistol in its holster while conducting interviews or while physically controlling a suspect with bare hands or handcuffs. The "longest weapon to closest target" principle goes out the window. The five ways of attack mostly do not apply. Attack by drawing? That's a good way to get my gun taken from me and shot with it.

The only root method of JKD that remains relevant to DT is the mobile footwork. Considering the stance is not the same, that is also a bit different in execution, although the spirit of delivery is similar.

Certainly, training methods used in JKD and other martial arts can be used for development, but when it all comes down to it the combat applications are merely supplementary. The objective is to neutralize a person's aggression, not to overcome it or overpower it.

Look at the objective of defensive tactics as well as the methodology and you'll agree after a while it has nothing to do with JKD.