I read the article from top and bottom (you should see the reader responses; if you want, I can link those, too). While I don't have the luxury of time, I will say a few words.

"As a preface to this article, let me state that, yes -- anything can work sometimes, but some things work much better, most of the time! This article focuses on traditional (old-style karate), not modern variations that involve extensive cross-training."
-- WR Mann

I myself am befuddled by his defintion of old-style Karate. I took Okinawan Kenpo Karate for many years and trained in some weapon-disarming techniques (e.g. shotgun, handgun, knife, sword). I suppose he is grouping all forms of Karate but I really don't know.

Having said all that, I think he makes a couple good points. I, for one, agree about his stance on katas and board breaking. However, I don't understand why he chooses to generalize a fighter based on his/her ryu and conclude said practitioner has no chance in a fight against another fighter with a different ryu. I don't vehamently agree with him up-and-down the board. I think he comes off too strong, in that respect. But I don't believe he's totally off-base, either.

Edited by SEAL (04/13/06 09:02 PM)