definitions from dictionary.com

Mystical

1. Of or having a spiritual reality or import not apparent to the intelligence or senses.
2. Of, relating to, or stemming from direct communion with ultimate reality or God: a mystical religion.
3. Enigmatic; obscure: mystical theories about the securities market.
4. Of or relating to mystic rites or practices.
5. Unintelligible; cryptic.

Mythical

1. Of or existing in myth: the mythical unicorn.
2. Imaginary; fictitious.
3. often mythic Of, relating to, or having the nature of a myth: a novel of profound, almost mythic consequence.

I've used the word Mystical (def #3 & #5) and Mythical (def #2) interchangeably. This causes a bit of confusion and sounds like it's an insult to people of faith.

ex1:
Quote:

thats the physics of what some call 'fajing' power. I like the term 'short power' since it takes the mystical out and makes less room for shistahs.

Clearly, this was meant 'mystical' as in cryptic. It is well known that there are in fact false masters who sell products promoting the claim that they know 'secrets'. and then proceed to reveil these secrets in a deliberately cryptic manner with fanfare and mythological ancedotes. After the listener is 'hypnotized' and awestruck by the claims and tales, next comes the demonstration... this happens to be the same model in which a magician performs an act.

ex2
Quote:

The original question leads me to wonder... how many people quit the martial arts after discovering it doesn't contain the mystical/spiritual element they were expecting? (i.e., chi-blasts, invisibility, etc.)

This is an incorrect use of the term (but I knew what he meant since he gave examples of superpowers). He meant 'mythical'.

ex3:
Quote:

Stop buying into the mystical portion of the kata and thier ancient secret applications. Unless you stil believe in Santa then by all means continue.

This one is a tougher usage to interpret....but not really. obviously, the person who wrote it is being an ass...the tone is a dead giveaway. but looking past that and keeping emotion out of it, I think he was warning against being 'duped'...like described in Ex1.

there have been other uses/misuses of the term, but I can speak for myself when I say that I don't mean it as a slur against people's belief system, but rather against those who purposely use people's naivite for their own gain.