[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
Well, it's really all speculative isn't it? Lee's abilities are also irrelevent to JKD and the individual practitioner in the same way that Dave Schultz's ability in wrestling is irrelevent to MY wrestling ability.

Aside from all that, JKD isn't an 'art' so much as it is a philosophy which governs one's training.

-John
[/QUOTE]

Kogas, but isn't that what an art better suited for individualized training. In karate we learn kata not to learn a preset curriculum of fighting combinations, but to learn the principles of body movement and power generation when fighting. These include but are not limited to intercepting attacks before they reach full extension, covering the centerline of you body, maintaining balance, keeping you elbows in, tucking you chin, how to best manipulate joints, not overextending yourself when attacking, how to use body weight and momentum when attacking and still maintaining you balance and using the ground for stability, etc. I think the key to art is expression. Learning principles and then applying them to your own body type, mental state, intentions when fighting, etc. is what an "art" is all about. Actually I think an "art" allows for greater variety and unpredictability when fighting. A philosophy is actually more rigid. One can prove or disprove a philosophy, but if you change a philosophy it becomes different. Therefore, it is harder to stick to one philosophy while training than an "art". An "art" allows for true expression of oneself just like in music, painting, literature, etc. A philosophy simply covers a particular aspect as seen from a particular point of view. However, an art encompasses anything the mind can conceive of in an area. Of course somethings are effective and somethings are not, but once those effective fighting methods are isolated then it is up to the individual to customize their fighting style to fit them as a unique person, not just a carbon copy of everybody else. I think an art allows for this where simply sticking to one man's philosophy is restrictive on certain levels. That is unless the philosophy encourages artistic expression in the same way the "art" of karate does.