Quote:

Quote:

Due to recent developments I'm going to make an ammendment to my original post.

For all of you there who are thinking of creating a new martial art. Martial arts are not created by any one person. Of course there is an instigator of a certain martial art, a founder perhaps. However, over generations arts develop by having to stand up to the scrutiny of the artists. These many martial artists create the art, not just one person.

This point was once described to me in a slightly different manner:

Ancient martial arts thrived because they work. If a technique did not work, it was not passed on from generation to generation. As well, if the technique did not work, the practictioners were often dead as a result.

Starting a new art that will be accepted by many is very difficult nowadays. I havenīt tried it, but I have had a very unorthodox history with martial arts. I got a black belt in Shurinryu from someone who studied in the service, which many people are just hearing about today in the U.S. anyway. I did most of my study one on one. Once you do that itīs hard to go back to a school, because the school is usually just too slow--unfortunately. People in schools can afford to be more sloppy too. As a result of lack of satisfaction with schools, since then I have learned through very long workshops, through videos, and through some classes. When I was young there wasnīt any such thing as distance learning of martial arts and things like that. Now the stuff is amazing. You can learn forms and self defense techniques and then go and show them to the head instructor and practice and correct them and then you have it. I find this fascinating. When I started MA I started at the Y, of course, with Tae Kwando. Everything was secret back then. You couldnīt learn anything. Now everything is open for the person who has the discipline and tenacity to learn it. If anyone wants to do MA for their health, a spiritual discipline or just to learn to defend themselves, the door is open even if they canīt afford the high prices.