I studied Shaolin Do for three years. It was the first martial art I studied and I learned all the material up to third brown. I left Shaolin Do and haven't looked back because of the lack of kata explaination. This isn't a knock on Shaolin Do so much as how it is taught. I found the katas on whole to be very applicable to real situations, but I feel the way it is taught is often sloppy with a focus on giving more and more material with only punch/block/kick explanations.

I never knew anyone in Shaolin Do who understood the katas on more than a surface level. I think the reason for this is because there are so many katas given at once and that the emphasis is always "you have to learn these next ten kata for your belt". Like all martial art forms and katas, there is a universe of techniques from tuite (joint locking-generally small joints) to pressure point application but I get the sense that the majority if not the whole of SD practitioners do not understand them as they are more concerned with gaining more and more kata.

If you took a month to break down the very first short kata, you would be amazed at what you would find. If you have any questions feel free to ask.