fightclub,

Quote:

It is not surprising that your joint locks do not work effectively against a larger person. This is one of the reasons why some later Aikido styles were modified. There are other times when these moves are ineffective like when a policeman tries to bend a druggies wrists they feel no pain b/c they are so high. Also if you wait until the person has locked their hold on you then your timing is off and you can't afford to waste time trying to bend their wrist.

Are you saying that because joint locks do not work effectively against a larger person they were modified by some aikido styles? What, other than personal anecdotal evidence, do you have for making such a claim? Which styles? How were they modified?

I had a big burly policeman (senior constable) turn up to my class on Friday, wanting to do aikido lessons. For his benefit, I demonstrated a few simple joint locks (nikyo and sankyo) which I quite effortlessly applied on him, from a really strong grab. Several times, I either dropped him to the ground instantly, or got him up onto his toes, quite easily - without the need for applying undue pain compliance. And seeing I was about half a head shorter than him, and about 40kg lighter, let's just say, he was wide-eyed and paying very close attention for the remainder of the lesson.

Joint locks work - if you know how. Most people think it's a wrist technique. It's not. If you don't know how to lock the wrist, elbow, shoulder, and center all at once, then of course they're not effective. Well, actually, it's not that the lock is ineffective, but your execution of the technique is not effective.

Quote:

I would not rely on wrist twisting for self defense unless i knew it would be effective. Aikido has some good points, but keep in mind that initially it is not slef defense oriented, it is mostly forms that lead into defensive attacks later on.

I'm curious, how long did you do aikido for, and to what level? I've been doing it for 15+ years and the more I do it, the more self-defense oriented I see it is. Bearing in mind that "self-defense" does not necessarily mean "kicking the other guy's a$$".

Quote:

I now study KRAV MAGA, a highly effective combat style. It's simple, economical self defense, that is effective. You don't waste energy trying to "flow" and bend with your opponent, you simply take natrual, instinctive moves and learn to scientifically apply them in a direct aggressive manner. I have only trained for a year, and i feel so confident, that I do not invite violence.

Whilst I do not disagree than Krav is a simple, economical and effective method of H2H combat, I disagree with your analysis. The strategy and tactics of Krav are very different to aikido. But it does not make aikido less simple, economical or effective. It's a totally different methodology, and you are comparing apples to oranges.

I also don't see how one "wastes energy trying to flow and blend".

Can you please explain to me, how you arrived at this conclusion? I'm just really intrigued.