Well, no place teaches just "karate." Karate simply means "open-hand" or "empty- hand" and finds its origins in Okinawa. Karate generally is dubbed as "hard-style," while kung fu (Chinese) is often referred to as "soft." You probably noticed in kung fu the circular, flowing movements. Karate is the yang to kung fu's yin. Karate is generally quick and to the point, with very linear movements. Of course, this is all generally speaking, mind you. I studied kenpo for a while, and, while it was definately karate, I found many very kung fu-ish techniques. At my school anyway, it was a very good melding of the two. My primary style is gosoku-ryu karate, and it is the extreme opposite of kung fu. It branches from shotokan, a traditional hard style karate, and probably the most practiced style I've seen. It has a limited number of techniques, but as you progress you learn how to use these skills in a variety of ways. I thoroughly enjoy my style, but everyone has there preferences. There are many other forms of karate as well.

I would go into the nameless karate dojo and talk to the instructor. If it's even a half decent school, they will be more than happy to answer any questions you have about what they do, as well as let you sit in on a lesson.

I hope I helped.
Peace and Love