Dr. K.

My point about Shotokan is in reality it all comes down to a technique, and I repect any properly executed technique not to be a technique snob.

I don't equate Isshinryu with Shotokan. After 30 years in Isshinryu, and having spent 10 years studing under a very unconventional Indonesian Shotokan instructor (whose father trained under Funakoshi) I have a very sharp respect for those differences. Of course it wasn't JKA, but then nothing is anything else either.

In that version of 'Shotokan', your simple system, there are likely several thousand bunkai formally taught at the Dan level. Perhaps JKA is very different, but its the same art.

As for what I see in Isshinryu, one of my instructors shared a minor part of his knowledge with me and my students over the last 8 or so years of his life, and from that I've documented over 800 applications from Isshinryu's 8 kata, irrespective of my own studies.

Everything is just what they are, good or bad, simple or complex, in the end its what you do with what you have.

As for articles, I'm trying to find a way to express the 25 years I've been training youth in one. And for the older fist formation, I have not found any more information on it. You either use it or not. From my Shotokan instructor, the system at advanced levels shifted into that fist exclusively.

Pleasantly,

Victor Smith
Bushi No Te Isshinryu