A few weeks back I went on a Dennis Martin, CQB, Edged Weapon Course, which I found very interesting.

Dennis Martin teaches the G.U.N. method. I can't do Dennis's teaching methods justice in a few words, but I'll have a go.

G.U.N. = Grab, Unarm & Nutrilise.

From 'The Fence' position (hands up, passive stance), Grab the attacker's wrist (lower forearm) when he/she lunges, using a Butterfly grip. Butterfly Grip = Using both hands, palms towards your attacker, thumbs overlapping (is if you are making a butterfly shaped shadow on the wall, like when you were a kid).

Shout 'Knife' as soon as you see the knife. The word knife is used as a 'Trigger' word.

The butterfly grip works when the attcker is using a standard or reverse grip.

Once grabbed, you pull your elbows in to you abdomen, known as 'indexing', to keep a frim grip.

Unarm by continual knees to the groin, lower abdomen and/or ribs of your attcker.
On the first 3 knee strikes shout "DROP" - "THE" - "KNIFE", each word for each knee strike, and repeat until dropped. Whilst doing this it is vitally important to keep both hands clasped tightly around your attackers wrist, continue to be 'indexed' and don't let go until the knife has been dropped.

Once the knife is dropped, the attacker is then nutrilised (put out of action for a minimum of 15 mins) to aid an escape.

From what I understood from the course is that the G.U.N. method is one of the best methods, but like all defences against a knife attack, it ain't perfect, nothing is, and expect to get cut.

Statistics show that the average victim will have on average 7 knife wounds, of varying degrees of severity, before you either disarm your attacker or escape.

Hope that helps.

Take care,

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 12-04-2004).]