FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (the8th_light), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99895 - 12/21/04 09:54 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi SuzyQ,

What bothered you about the Krav Maga class? I'm curious, because it would seem to be a good fit for you. I am unfamiliar with KAJUKENBO. In looking up the web page it looks like a group that have combined aspects from Karate, Judo and some other martial arts.

As you can see from all of the replys from your original post there is a lot of "My Kung Fu is better than your Kung Fu." Postering in the Martial Arts.

If you want to study a martial art to defend yourself. You need to learn how to punch, how to kick and how to grapple. Your friend who has no MA background, but has been in a lot of fights is on the right track. I have studied several martial arts. HapKiDO, TaeKwon DO,and now primarily Judo. Whichever style you go with it is important to expose youself to something like Judo or BJJ or even wrestling so you can experience what it is like to have someone REALLY come at you, grab you, throw you down on the ground and try to choke you or submit you in a way that is not choreographed. This type of practice not only provides you with the skills to handle yourself on the ground, but also makes you mentally and physically tough. You would be AMAZED at the stamina it takes to grapple with someone - even for just a few minutes. I understand your concern about wrestling with someone a lot bigger than you. I am a small guy (5' 3") and grappling with guys a lot bigger than me can be tough. But it is possible to win and defend yourself.

Jeff

#99896 - 12/21/04 03:35 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. Look at the response to this thread, Is common problem or just because it says "I am a small female"...hmmm why am I here any way?

I would suggest maybe brazilian jui jitsu, it was originally developed by a very small man to protect himself, and allowed him to beat much larger and stronger men. It is very effective in MMA and has proven itself on the street as well.
What ever you choose if its for self defence find a teacher with street experience if you can.

#99897 - 12/21/04 05:24 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everyone telling her to grapple is going to get her killed. Come on, even a small guy has got about 30 pounds on an average female. You might be able to hustle a drunken 60 year old man, but good luck otherwise.

#99898 - 12/21/04 09:57 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CLP:
Everyone telling her to grapple is going to get her killed. Come on, even a small guy has got about 30 pounds on an average female. You might be able to hustle a drunken 60 year old man, but good luck otherwise. [/QUOTE]

How hard do you think she will be able to strike at her weight, even with practice?

I suggested BJJ because it has strikes targeted at very sensitive areas, that don`t take huge amounts of power. Most of the chokes and ground submisions use the whole body against one limb, strength is not as big requirement as you might think. It does require practice and speed however. Every one has thier own limitations, and she will of course need to be aware of these too.

My 14 year old 112 pound son can take me to the ground and submit me useing shoot fighting, same holds as BJJ mostly. This is with resistance. yeah ok, I might allow him to get the holds etc. he is just starting to learn this stuff. But once he has it properly applied I usually can not get away.
I am 180 lbs and 4 years ahead of him in my training. In my own defence he is a fairly talented wrestler, I am more of a stand up fighter with some ground skills.

#99899 - 12/22/04 12:29 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WildBill:
How hard do you think she will be able to strike at her weight, even with practice?

I suggested BJJ because it has strikes targeted at very sensitive areas, that don`t take huge amounts of power. Most of the chokes and ground submisions use the whole body against one limb, strength is not as big requirement as you might think. It does require practice and speed however. Every one has thier own limitations, and she will of course need to be aware of these too.

My 14 year old 112 pound son can take me to the ground and submit me useing shoot fighting, same holds as BJJ mostly. This is with resistance. yeah ok, I might allow him to get the holds etc. he is just starting to learn this stuff. But once he has it properly applied I usually can not get away.
I am 180 lbs and 4 years ahead of him in my training. In my own defence he is a fairly talented wrestler, I am more of a stand up fighter with some ground skills.
[/QUOTE]

I think it would help to a certain extent, but no female should be grappling in a life or death situation with a guy who can outweigh them by as much as 100 lbs or more. I think learning basic strikes to target areas and hightailing it out of there is probably the best option, but I agree with you in that BJJ could help a female, but it definatly wouldnt be a finisher of any type. Pepper spray is your best friend.

#99900 - 12/22/04 02:15 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

AIKIDO was intened for women (so i heard) aikido/kickboxing would be best

#99901 - 12/22/04 09:52 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chen Zen, you misunderstood my post. I learn JKD concepts with everything i do, i was being sarcastic in my post saying that JKD was all sport. Commenting on another person's post, sorry you misunderstood that.

And for the little lady that posted this thread, go train with Leun Ting, he'll guide you in the right direction =)

#99902 - 12/22/04 10:22 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhyCantIbeSteve:
Chen Zen, you misunderstood my post. I learn JKD concepts with everything i do, i was being sarcastic in my post saying that JKD was all sport. Commenting on another person's post, sorry you misunderstood that.

And for the little lady that posted this thread, go train with Leun Ting, he'll guide you in the right direction =)
[/QUOTE]

Ah, my bad. Happens from time to time.

#99903 - 12/24/04 08:07 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd say the instructor matters a great deal more than the style. Get in with a good instructor and you'll be fine.

Just make sure the school is traditional. McDojos abound!

#99904 - 12/24/04 08:02 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can say that, between "street lethal" stuff and brazilian jiujitsu (or any other full contact, sport style), you would be better off going with BJJ.

Reasoning?

1: Out of personal experience. My mother went through the IMPACT "personal safety" course twice. I did not understand it to be very effective.
She does BJJ now and just earned her bluebelt. I've seen her tap out lighter men, and hold her own with the bigger ones.

2: You are far more likely to go to a Mcdojo (school that cares more about making money than it's students fighting ability) if you go with Krav Maga. Not all KM places are Mcdojos, but the proportion is much higher than bjj, which has almost no mdcdojos.

3: You are guaranteed to practice with a resisting opponent in BJJ from day one. Krav Maga, you may not have that opportunity.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga