FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
12/22/14 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
12/22/14 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99865 - 11/26/04 10:43 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Mike Tyson is small. Very! Met him in NYC almost laughed in his face. Ed

#99866 - 11/26/04 11:01 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually a 'crossblock' is used either with the hands or arms or two boards nailed together. Eyes are an excellent target. Biting can become a very natural defense. Risking HIV is a chance but the immediate danger of death from an attacker negates that. I have seen combat in Viet-Nam and at home on the street. I have had two attempts at shotgun hold-ups against. I'm not looking to be the best anywhere, I am geting pretty old now but I will tell you that the life of a loved one or of yourself is worth the time spent working the basics of assault over and over again and programming yourself mentally just as an arm for a robotics assembly line is programmed. You can get vicious and live or give up and die if it is that type of situation. Also, most martial arts work well for self-defense. It's not the art it's the practioner that makes the difference. That includes straight boxing. In a close and sudden encounter, your hands are your fastest weapons. Keep them open, even Mike Tyson broke his knuckle hitting a man bare knuckle in a night club.

#99867 - 11/26/04 12:34 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
First off, let me clarify this whole WC- Modified white Crane garbage. The word modify implies change. How does something change and stay the same? Theres no comparison between the two the are a seperate art. Women can and do effectively use WC. and many other arts. Ever see the Muay Thai female world champ on the Jackass movie? Not someone to mess with.

What a woman lacks in size strength and weight, she more than makes up for in speed and ingenuity. A woman is far more bound by the parameters of perfection when it comes to the form of their technique. Men get sloppy. We think that power and speed will make us invincible and that we dont need to practice every single technique to perfection. There is no such thing as a womans art or a mans art.

Take what ever you want. People base suggestions on their experience. So they recommend what they do. I do JKD, Boxing, WC, and Muay Thai. Go do em all.

#99868 - 11/26/04 09:09 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Still Wadowoman.

I do not, and never did, wish to give the impression of putting women off MA / self-defence training. I started off my own daughter in TKD at age 5 because she has long legs and continue with Aikido to balance it with some joint-locks, throws, break-falling and most important of all getting used to having closed personal contact with strange men -- Aikido provide some of that. Girls in general do not like to touch or be touched by strange men. Her Ma training in only a striking art will go out the window when she has to grapple or being grabbed and falling down properly when pushed and rolling away to escape is very useful.

Some other tactical advise I would consider includes:-

when turning corners, make a wide circle; someone may be waiting on the blind side.

when in lonely places, always constantly look around for any make-shift weapon even if no threat is imminent -- dustbin covers, rocks, fallen-branches, small flower pots.

walk against traffic.

do not stand too close to someone asking for directions.

do not ever judge any one by their appearance.

Paranoia? Some people may think it is and may even make jokes about cyclops. Look at the faces of parents who have lost a child to violence in tomorrow's newspapers.

By the way I wouldn't advise poking a cyclop in his one eye because cyclops are so tall you wouldn't be able to reach it. Better to bite him in the ankles as a chihuahua would.

WhyCantIbeSteve.

Can you please clarify your point about Silat being invented by a woman? I live in a part of the world where Silat is an indigenous MA. Anything stated as a fact on the Net will be picked and passed on.

[This message has been edited by ButterflyPalm (edited 11-26-2004).]

#99869 - 11/27/04 10:56 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll have you know, mister, that i found that piece of information in a book called "Martial Arts for Idiots".......crap

#99870 - 11/28/04 11:48 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
First off, let me clarify this whole WC- Modified white Crane garbage. The word modify implies change. How does something change and stay the same? Theres no comparison between the two the are a seperate art. Women can and do effectively use WC. [/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talkin' about! He won't listen to you though. I already tried, lol.

#99871 - 11/30/04 11:24 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off I think you should forget about your Sex and Size long enough to make this decision.

If you want to learn real self defense for a life and death situation then I think you should learn the difference between Fighting arts. For instance I believe anything with a "DO" on the end of it means Sport, Gentle or to go with (as in throw someone the way a joint bends so they do not get hurt) a tech. In a self defense situation you will want to go against the joint and break it if you are grappling.

Anyway two instructors from the same system can teach two different set of beliefs. I think you should go to every school in your area and talk to as many people as possible before you make a decision.

#99872 - 12/01/04 08:03 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Have a male poodle fight a female rottweiller and tell me the result.[/QUOTE]

Great post. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

I'd suggest investing in a high quality can of pepper spray. It's still an attack on the eyes with no serious/permanent damage and you can run like hell once ol' rapist dude is subdued.

#99873 - 12/01/04 07:09 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Everybody has their own "Best martial art form" and every martial arts form has it's good and bad points. I too am a smaller female. I am 5'8 but, only 105lbs. So, I totally understand. You would do well to stay away from ground tactics simply because getting on the ground with someone who will hurt you should always be a last resort. Especially in your case because you are so small. I do Isshinryu karate and love it. I find it very good for my litteness! good luck!

#99874 - 12/01/04 07:13 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rapacious:
First off I think you should forget about your Sex and Size long enough to make this decision.

If you want to learn real self defense for a life and death situation then I think you should learn the difference between Fighting arts. For instance I believe anything with a "DO" on the end of it means Sport, Gentle or to go with (as in throw someone the way a joint bends so they do not get hurt) a tech. In a self defense situation you will want to go against the joint and break it if you are grappling.

Anyway two instructors from the same system can teach two different set of beliefs. I think you should go to every school in your area and talk to as many people as possible before you make a decision.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, because Jeet Kune Do is all sport. Do means way to my understanding

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga