FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99835 - 11/23/04 05:56 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
While I am sure that all the martial arts are good, Aikido as well as the others take a long time to get good. Brazillian Jujutsu takes the shortest out of the martial arts to learn and it does deal with the ground aspect of fighting well. But..blue belts are allowed to teach so all schools are not alike and some are hard core. Look for a womens only group like Gracie Academy in Miami...no guys allowed. Then when you get skills you can roll with the guys and not feel overwhelmed. www.scars.com is a good course that will fill the requirments that you have set forth. A tad expensive and non traditional it only takes but a few weeks to learn something to protect yourself. You do not have to box your attacker like most people suggest.(senshido). Hit me with your 115 lb fist and I will laugh. Get my point. Most MA will teach you to punch, you'll just break your fists so stay away from the sports. My advise to you. Ed

#99836 - 11/23/04 06:16 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First let me repeat what I said.

ANY style of martial arts can be used effectively. Some make it harder some make it easier. To me... being a female boxer trying to fight a bigger guy would be harder. Does that mean she wouldn't win? Not at all. But the risks are higher.

Aikdo is not wrestling based. Aikido is momentum/balance/energy based. It's much easier for a girl to put a guy on the ground with an Aikido move than it is with a punch or a tacke. Trust me.

About Wing Chun. Yes, you are right, it was modified White Crane. Yes, you are right, it was modified by a girl to suit a girl. But it wasn't MADE for a girl. It was a girl using another style of martial arts then taking from experience what happened to work best for her. This would be like a girl teaching another girl karate.. and the girl gets good at karate then says "Well i've taken what works best for me in Karate and i'm a girl so this is a female based system." It's still Karate.. it just so happens that a girl modified it to fit her needs. Everyone modifies the style to fit their needs. That doesn't mean we should all go call them our own. Just because it was modified for a girl also doesn't mean it's good for a girl. As I was saying.. it wasn't originally MADE for a girl. It was White Crane that a girl modified to suit her needs. This can be done with ANY style of martial arts. A girl can modify wrestling to suit her needs.. then if she passed it on to another girl she could say that it was a modification for a girl. The most important factor is, the original style (White Crane) was not developed with women in mind. It was developed with men in mind, then Ng Mui just used it to the best of her ability. So did the girl who used wrestling.. but should we go around suggesting wrestling to girls just because "That modification was developed by a girl." ? No. Wrestling has a lot to do with strength and size. Both things that work against a girl. So keep that in mind when you say a style must be good for a girl because it was modified by a girl.

A factory decorated by a girl may suit a girl better than a factory not decorated by a girl. But a factory in general is not the most suitable place for a girl. Do you get what i'm trying to say?

#99837 - 11/23/04 06:29 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Hi Suzy Q,

My advice would be to forget about the gender thing.

Just as no one martial art is best for all men, no one martial art is best for all females (or even all small females).

I reccomend visiting several dojos/dojangs/gyms in your area and pick at least two where you think you would feel comfortable. Talk to the instructor and, if possible the other students. Have a couple of lessons at each one on your shortlist and then decide.

Avoid signing contracts and paying lots of money upfront. Don't consider joining a school/club where you do not feel comfortable with the instructor and/or the other students.

Don't be put off if everyone else there is quite experienced and you can't "do it", remember that neither could they when they started. If it is a good group, everyone will be too concerned with improving themselves to critisize what you are doing (one of the biggest and most unnecessary worries for beginners).

Lastly, don't be put off by mostly male groups. Most martial arts are dominated by men for a number of reasons, that doesn't mean females can't join in. A good instructor will help you adapt techniques for your size and strength. You will not be expected to be as strong as the men, just to train as hard.

Good luck finding the right art for you. Let us know how you get on.
Sharon

#99838 - 11/23/04 07:04 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
John_C Offline
Enthusiast

Suzy, have a look at the "Choosing a Martial Art" and "Choosing a School" sections of this document.

Also remember that whatever you do end up doing, you need to enjoy it if you're going to stick at it. In many ways, that's more important than the perceived "utility" of what you train - the best art in the world is no good to you if you hate training, and jack it in after a few months.

Don't get fixated on one style - it's quite common to decide to do one thing, and then find that it's not what you thought it was. Don't give up if it doesn't work out - lots of people try a martial art, find it doesn't suit and then never try another one again.

Whatever you do do, always test what you learn if your goal is utility - do the defenses against wrist grabs/bear hugs etc work on someone who's not from your class, for example? (Assuming you have understanding friends who'll let you use them as grappling dummies, that is [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] ).

Above all, use your common sense, and don't buy into something just because it's the latest thing, or equally well, just because it's "traditional".

Good luck - and post back with your experiences, if you get chance.

[This message has been edited by John_C (edited 11-23-2004).]

#99839 - 11/23/04 07:14 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Don't commit to anything based on what you read on the internet.[/QUOTE]

Smartest advice I'd seen on this forum yet. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Listen to still Wadowoman. She's a tiny lass herself and probably has slightly better insight then us lunkheads. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#99840 - 11/23/04 08:12 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
...Hit me with your 115 lb fist and I will laugh. [/QUOTE]
But if she jabbed you in the eye with one finger you'd cry!

Btw, my reference to Senshido was specifically regarding The Shredder.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
...Most MA will teach you to punch, you'll just break your fists so stay away from the sports... [/QUOTE]
That, in my opinion, is a very arrogant and narrowminded statement. There's a lot more to MA's than fists!

Take care,

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 11-23-2004).]

#99841 - 11/23/04 09:37 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Nice try. Ed

#99842 - 11/23/04 10:21 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

QUOTE:
"It's still Karate.."
-Wing Chun is NOTHING like Karate, I don't see a close comparison.
"Everyone modifies the style to fit their needs."
-Ok, you don't "modify" any art. You apply what you learn. Modification of your training doesn't help at all.

#99843 - 11/23/04 10:26 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't know man, a 115lbs fist would be frickin' HUGE!

Wadowwoman is wrong in a general sense. There are certain styles that are better for women because they were designed with them in mind. Aikido may not be made for women, but it was designed to be used in the absense of strength and size, so i'd say indirectly it was designed for women.

I don't believe a girl knows what's best for other girls just because she's female. Would you take advice from a guy just because he's a guy? Hell no. As far as strength and size goes, i'm 5'8 125lbs.. so I can understand being small and physically weak just as well as anyone else.

#99844 - 11/23/04 10:56 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

With this I mean no-offense to you traditional MA and grapplers. I'm sure your arts are great for you. But she's a tiny (no offense SuzyO) women. If a rapist attacks her he won't be circling around her exchanging punches. He will come for you fast and hard cause he enjoys what he's doing. If you go to the ground he will to some degree grapple with you, but as soon as he feels that you're putting up too much of a fight he will start punching you and trust me for a women your size they will hurt you badly and completley disorient you for a while. There's only one girl in my class and she only appears now and then and she's very tough and respected but she just can't compete with a guys strength.

Find something that teaches you how to hurt the bastard and get away quickly. Thai boxing, wing chun, judo etc won't teach you how to do this. Learn how to use your keys to sratch his face out, learn how to kick him in the groin, learn how to bit his nose off.

And if you join something make sure they train hard, train outside now and again, train diffrent scenarios like a rape, car jacking etc.

I don't know all the defense programs but joing something that's just not three weeks and then you don't train again for years. Join something that allowed you to train and keeps your body fit and the knowledge fresh.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga