FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99815 - 11/21/04 11:55 PM Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what martial art to study. I am a small female - 5ft tall, about 115 lbs, so the chances that I will be bigger or stronger than anyone who might jump me are nil. I am wondering what kinds of martial arts would best offset this disadvantage, and be practical and applicable in the context of getting jumped on the street. Also, I know that martial arts take time and dedication to learn, but in the spirit of practicality, I'm looking or something that won't require years of training before I can defend myself successfully. Any suggestions? Thx!

#99816 - 11/22/04 12:02 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
SCARS. Ed

#99817 - 11/22/04 02:11 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SuzyQ:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what martial art to study. I am a small female - 5ft tall, about 115 lbs, so the chances that I will be bigger or stronger than anyone who might jump me are nil. I am wondering what kinds of martial arts would best offset this disadvantage, and be practical and applicable in the context of getting jumped on the street. Also, I know that martial arts take time and dedication to learn, but in the spirit of practicality, I'm looking or something that won't require years of training before I can defend myself successfully. Any suggestions? Thx![/QUOTE]

Try various martial arts to see one which suits you. I would recommend aikido as strength plays little or no part in the self defence aspect. It focusses on redirecting the opponents attack by blending with it rather than meeting force with force. We have many females practice in our dojo and one of our sensei's who's 5th Dan is just under 5' and is a skinny as anything!

Whatever anyone says, to be a competent martial artist who can defend themselves adequately requires much practice, patience and is a continual learning process. I would not recommend learning a martial art for a quick fix, it won't work.

Chanters [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by Chanters (edited 11-22-2004).]

#99818 - 11/22/04 04:10 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aikido. Bottom line.

I say this truthfully and void of ego. The only unarmed female I would ever be afraid of ( referring to what style they were trained in ) would be an Aikido student. Of course, as Chanters said.. you're going to have to train vigorously no matter what style you take to get good at it and stay that way.

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited 11-22-2004).]

#99819 - 11/22/04 04:43 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suzie,
The best form of fighting I have found for "small" fighters is Wing Chun. I am a 5'9" male weighing 160 lbs and when I first started training in Wing Chun, I was working out with a 16 yr old girl who weighed 115 lbs and stood 5' tall. She had only been training 1 yr, but she beat me with no problem.
Wing Chun is up-close fighting and uses your opponets size and weight to manipulate them. Follow thislink. Go to Wing Chun in motion for an example of the applications. http://www.wingchun.com/index.html
I think you may enjoy this art if you can find a good school in your area. Let me know if this helps. Feel free to email me with questions. Bungle628@yahoo.com />-Dan

#99820 - 11/22/04 08:39 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll dare to say stay away from SCARS or other video programs that make outlandish claims.

I also would not recommend Aikido for anything other than a hobby. Seek out a competent instructor and maintain a critical eye. There is a lot of junk out there. Make a commitment to train for a length of time and to reach some level of skill.

Good luck.

#99821 - 11/22/04 09:32 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would highly suggest Jeet kune do. Its principles are easy to learn, easy to apply. simple,direct and highly adaptable. It doesnt take very long to learn those principles. I used to be a small person to, I have used JKD principles they work. I would also recommend simple judo methods. Judo was designed for smaller people and its highly effective if used correctly, it does take more time the jkd to learn though. Ninjutsu can also be effective, but its hard to find a place to learn effective Ninpo.

#99822 - 11/22/04 09:58 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I completely disagree that Wing Chun is good for a smaller female. Wing Chun is known for it's "in-fighting" meaning you get right in the opponent's face. This is never a good idea for a girl, especially against a much bigger attacker. Also, the balance manipulation moves from Wing Chun hardly rival those of Aikido. They require you to be in close to your opponent and exert more force. Aikido allows you to be farther from your opponent and make them come to you. Also, instead of exerting any force you simply use the force they exerted against them. While always keeping yourself as much out of harms way as possible.

This is going to sound super rude but... if a smaller girl beat you up with Wing Chun I think that's you.. not the style.

Honestly, with some big guy coming at you swinging punches, I think getting in his face and trying to punch back is the LAST thing you want to do. That's the last thing that I want to do... Let alone a smaller girl!

#99823 - 11/22/04 10:22 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take marksmanship and gun safety then get a weapons permit, lol. I kid, I kid. I would honestly say Chin Na/Aikido or Wing Chun. Despite what Drakkar pointed out about the in-fighting, Wing Chun was actually originally designed by a Shaolin nun, to be used by a small female on a larger male opponent. Look up the story of Wing Chun (her name) in Chinese martial history. It's a pretty good tale.

#99824 - 11/22/04 11:31 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sifu, you are wrong. Please re-research Wing Chun.

Wing Chun ( the girl ) learned White Crane from Ng Mui ( also a girl ) when she was fifteen to defend herself against a bully who was trying to force her to marry him. She challenged the bully to a fight and won. Then she got married to Leung Bok Chau and taught him the Kung Fu she learned from Ng Mui. He then taught it to Leung Lan Kwai. The style may have been named after her but she certainly did not come up with the idea. Not to mention the outrageous claim that the Wing Chun style was developed specifically for smaller girls to defend themselves against bigger guys. Wing Chun is a variation of White Crane. She didn't really design anything...

Wing Chun can be made effective for any size/gender. But why put the extra effort and take the extra risk to make Wing Chun effective? Do you think that Miss Yim Wing Chun would have taken White Crane if Aikido was available? I doubt it!

[This message has been edited by Drakar (edited 11-22-2004).]

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga