FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
ergees 1
Victor Smith 1
swordy 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99825 - 11/22/04 12:03 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you should enroll in a self-defense program. Now I don't mean one of those police ones that teaches you arm-bars etc since they don't really work.

I would recommend krav-maga because it's a pretty simple system that trains for exactly these kinds of situations. It's full of dirty tricks like groin kicks, biting... it will also teach you how to use things like keys, shoes, bottles as weapons.

Good luck.

#99826 - 11/22/04 12:11 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thx for all the advice, I reallly appreciate it! A guy friend (who does not study martial arts but has been in lots of fights) was telling me that it would be best for me to learn a grappling technique. That kind of makes sense to me, since I think I am pretty aware of my surroundings, and if I sensed danger before it was completely in my space, I'd just run, but if someone gets close enough to grab me, that's when I'd be in trouble. At the same time, I just can't imagine sucessfully wrestling with a guy bigger and stronger than myself, can grappling really work on a larger opponent? My friend suggrested Brazillan Ju Jitsu, I'd love to know what you all as martial artists, think about this.

Thx again!

#99827 - 11/22/04 12:16 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
The best MA for a small female,Is Isshin ryu & or Kobayatsi Shorin ryu.

One Heart,One Style. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

#99828 - 11/22/04 12:30 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you're going with a grappling style I'd go with judo. Even though my art is a hybrid between thaiboxing and bjj I think judo is more effective street-wise.

#99829 - 11/22/04 01:44 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being a smaller woman you will want to focus on arts which will help you escape from a grab or hold, (Judo/jitsu, Aikido and the like), and help you be mean enough to do so in a manner which will help your assailant towards the decision to desist his attack. A man will likely not start a stand up "put up your dukes" fight with you. He'll want to either grab you and bring you to his van down by the river or take your purse/handbag and boogie outta there. Ergo a stand up fighting style is not necessarily your best choice as all things being equal, the bigger guy wins. Focus on something that will help you escape, and find a place that has enough of an emphasis on practicality/street self defense that they let you "-jitsu up the -do" a little bit. A neat release move is all cute and nice in the street unless you finish it w/ something to encourage a cessation of hostilities and enable you to get the he| | out of dodge.

Wing Chun is cool, and can be quite effective, but I don't think it would be appropriate for the the context you're looking for.

#99830 - 11/22/04 02:03 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SuzyQ:
A guy friend (who does not study martial arts but has been in lots of fights) was telling me that it would be best for me to learn a grappling technique ... At the same time, I just can't imagine sucessfully wrestling with a guy bigger and stronger than myself, can grappling really work on a larger opponent? My friend suggrested Brazillan Ju Jitsu, I'd love to know what you all as martial artists, think about this. [/QUOTE]

Having a wife that is small I would not want her wrestling around on the ground with a larger man. Knowing grappling or not ... SHE'D LOOSE. I grapple with people in my class and being physically stronger than most I can usually over power them and I am not huge just work with weights.

I think Orion's suggestion of a self-defence program that teaches dirty tricks would be much more useful and logical. The problem might be to find such a course. You'd probably have to look around a bit. Just remember, to protect yourself anything goes. Bite, scratch, urinate, spit, groin shots, elbows ... anything. It's your life to protect.

#99831 - 11/22/04 03:28 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Commenting on Drakar,
I have studied Wing Chun for 7 years now. When I was first introduced to the art, It was demonstrated to me by the same girl who "beat me up". I was a boxer of 6 years prior to Wing Chun. Now if little girl could stop a fast right hook, and still defend herself against a bigger opponent, that must say something about the art. It's all about the angle.
She was not strong, nor large, just knew her art. Now, I'm not sounding rude either(just humble) buy I have not seen Aikido successfully used against Wing Chun. Yes, this is an up-close, in your face fighting stlye(WC). But let's look at the applications, in Wing Chun, you train to NEVER be on the ground. There are cases when you will be however, and yes, Wing Chun can be used effectivly. But why would you want to stundy an art that is wrestling based(or so it seems)? To fight effectivly, you must have good balance. Being off your feet doesn't do you any good.

I have worked out with many styles that have come into the class. I have yet to see an art as effective. I'm not knocking ANY style. You should always choose one that works best for you. Any art can defend an attacker if the tech. is used properly.

Suzy, check out several different arts before making a choice. Hope this helps.

All due respect to fellow artists.

#99832 - 11/22/04 06:19 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drakar:
Sifu, you are wrong. Please re-research Wing Chun.

Wing Chun ( the girl ) learned White Crane from Ng Mui ( also a girl ) when she was fifteen to defend herself against a bully who was trying to force her to marry him. She challenged the bully to a fight and won. Then she got married to Leung Bok Chau and taught him the Kung Fu she learned from Ng Mui. He then taught it to Leung Lan Kwai. The style may have been named after her but she certainly did not come up with the idea. Not to mention the outrageous claim that the Wing Chun style was developed specifically for smaller girls to defend themselves against bigger guys. Wing Chun is a variation of White Crane. She didn't really design anything...
[/QUOTE]

The style originally taught to Wing Chun was not pure crane, but a modified system that used all of the most effective techniques available for a larger opponent. Go to www.shaolin.com and click the Wing Chun link for the most commonly accepted version of the story. When Ng Mui adapted Shaolin Kung Fu into this new style, that was the true origin of Wing Chun, not when her husband named it after her. Either way, it was still taught by a woman to a woman, which shows that a woman can do it effectively.

P.S. Wing Chun wasn't my first recommendation, if you notice, it was Chin Na or Aikido.

#99833 - 11/22/04 07:40 PM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suzy,

Go with your gut. Check out BJJ and see if you like it. If the instructor is good, he'll teach you alot more than ground grappling. You'll learn to stay on your feet, disengage and escape and you'll learn it while practicing against a resisting opponent from day one.

If you don't like it, feel free to try Wing Chun or Aikido or SCARS or whatever anyone else recommends. But try the BJJ and make up your own mind. Don't commit to anything based on what you read on the internet.

#99834 - 11/23/04 03:49 AM Re: Most effective martial art for small females?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi SuzyQ, just when you thought you couldn't get any more conflicting advice....

My advice would be to go for a striking art first, so that you can strike effectivly without damaging yourself.

Whilst continuing with a striking art look into a concept called The Shredder. ( http://www.senshido.com/)
The Shredder is a concept that can be incorporated into any style and is fantastic, especially for women.

The Shredder Package (Vid or DVD) is well worth the money, I promise.

Take care,

Gaffer.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 11-23-2004).]

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga