FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#99634 - 11/09/04 10:45 AM Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alot of you guys seems to recomend a side-kick to the knee as a good street fighting technique.

Wont this dislocate their bone causing them SERIOUS injury?

Which inless you are in a life-threatening situation is not what you whant.

[This message has been edited by MiSt (edited 11-09-2004).]

#99635 - 11/09/04 11:14 AM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

Being the Self defense/Street combat forum it would seem appropriate.

#99636 - 11/09/04 06:48 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I'm not that impressed with the knee shot. Unless you're kicking perhaps to the SIDE of the knee (good luck!), you'll have a hard time doing any real damage unless the guys legs are locked straight out. Again, good luck on that.

Consider also that your target will be moving and, fighting back.

It's just hard to "pick your targets" in real fights. You have to take what you're given in many cases. The knee shot just isn't one I'm inclined to use so much as a good straight right hand.

-John

#99637 - 11/09/04 09:08 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've used knee shots alot and have taken alot including one that dislocated my knee cap, They are effective. What JKogas said is true its hard to pick your targets and it does much less damage aimed at the front as opposed to the side. But take into consideration it is easy to throw and your opponents knees dont need to be locked, and that the knee is a very weak joint and it is a decent tactic as it dont compromise your balance to badly, If you do hit the knee you can cripple regardless of where you aim. It doesnt take fine motor skills to perform a knee kick ethier. The legs are much stronger as weapons then the hands and if used correctly they control the distance in HTH easier then hand methods.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-10-2004).]

#99638 - 11/11/04 11:56 AM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AgenT:
I've used knee shots alot and have taken alot including one that dislocated my knee cap, They are effective. What JKogas said is true its hard to pick your targets and it does much less damage aimed at the front as opposed to the side. But take into consideration it is easy to throw and your opponents knees dont need to be locked, and that the knee is a very weak joint and it is a decent tactic as it dont compromise your balance to badly, If you do hit the knee you can cripple regardless of where you aim. It doesnt take fine motor skills to perform a knee kick ethier. The legs are much stronger as weapons then the hands and if used correctly they control the distance in HTH easier then hand methods.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-10-2004).]
[/QUOTE]

ASSUMING you get the shot (No argument with Kogas' point about having the luxury of picking your targets, in the main), this kick can be made more effective from the front if instead of being pulled back after striking, it is raked down the shin and then stomped on the instep. Even if the knee isn't straight, it won't cause a whole hell of a lot of damage but might cause enough pain to distract the opponent as the stomp brings you in close for a liver or spleen shot, say.

#99639 - 11/11/04 12:18 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its a easy target to get to and hard to defend unless you know how to move and jam the other persons foot. Another way it can do alot of damage is instead of following down the shin, you can follow completely through with the kick causeing the other persons leg to lock. If you continue to follow through after the leg has locked and your weight has shifted you can do an extreme amount of damage to your attackers leg. Once again assuming you can get a good shot, better to rely on your feet for moving and your hands for fighting.

[This message has been edited by AgenT (edited 11-11-2004).]

#99640 - 11/12/04 10:53 AM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.

So whats all this critisism about kicks for?

#99641 - 11/12/04 12:07 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with Jkogas, if you've got to kick, then go low and from the side as an 'opener'.
Picking a target, such as the knee, is nearly impossible in a street fight situation, but with a very hard and low kick you will either hurt the opponent, disturb his balance or hopefully both.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MiSt:
If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.[/QUOTE]
You should never assume anything of your opponent, always keep an open mind, he could even be a better kicker than you.

Range isn't everything, therefore, kicks aren't everything!

So whats all this critisism about kicks for? [/QUOTE]
The 'constructive' critisism on this forum of late is very valid. Kicks, by their very nature, carry a higher risk than many other effective and efficient striking techniques.
I think respnsible martial artists should be constructively critical of all techniques, not just kicks. In doing so we will better ourselves in our quest to protect ourselves and loved ones by using the most effective and efficient techniques available.

"Knowledge is power"

Take care,

Gaffer.

#99642 - 11/12/04 12:35 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fair enough about the 'constructive' critisism.

I think you m/a often over estimate your opo,why give him so much credit? Most people cant do a decent kick
1.Beacuse they dont know how.
and
2.Because there legs are not flexible enough.

Besides,from my observations most people when agresive will simply repeditly hit you with one hand in an "up and downwards mannor".

Ps- I get replies so quick here why not have a chat room?
Look foward to reading your replies -MiSt.

#99643 - 11/12/04 01:10 PM Re: Side Kick to the Knee
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gaffer:
I agree with Jkogas, if you've got to kick, then go low and from the side as an 'opener'.
Picking a target, such as the knee, is nearly impossible in a street fight situation, but with a very hard and low kick you will either hurt the opponent, disturb his balance or hopefully both.

If you can keep your opo at kicking range,and he cant kick back (which in most cases he wont be able to) then your laughing.[/QUOTE]
You should never assume anything of your opponent, always keep an open mind, he could even be a better kicker than you.

Range isn't everything, therefore, kicks aren't everything!

So whats all this critisism about kicks for? [/QUOTE]
The 'constructive' critisism on this forum of late is very valid. Kicks, by their very nature, carry a higher risk than many other effective and efficient striking techniques.
I think respnsible martial artists should be constructively critical of all techniques, not just kicks. In doing so we will better ourselves in our quest to protect ourselves and loved ones by using the most effective and efficient techniques available.

"Knowledge is power"

Take care,

Gaffer.
[/QUOTE]

This from a former TKD fighter! Darn, it appears the trolls have done us an unintended favor. The quality of posts has sure gone up in the last week.
Good post, Gaffer. Have a good & safe weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga