FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#98405 - 07/24/04 04:04 PM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I really hope these last couple of posts werent serious or their going to be some dead posters the first time someone tries to mug them. Throat shots, eyegouging, and acrobatic back flips will not save your life even IF they work without you failing miserably in the attempt; which is very likely due to adrenaline and opponent resistance.

#98406 - 07/25/04 03:49 AM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
Spiderman,

Thanks for yuor email, but to clarify, my above post was intended as humourous. I don't really think it's a good plan, I think it is a very bad one, and my name is WADO woman, I typed WONDER woman as a joke.

It is great that you are thinking of taking up martial arts, but be prepared that you will not see anything in the class akin to the spiderman films you are such a big fan of.

Sorry for any confusion/offence I may have caused.
Sharon

#98407 - 07/27/04 05:03 AM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
I would cut the blighters in half with my Adamantium claws.

Then take wonderwoman to dinner, Linda Carter SIGH!!!!!!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Wolverine

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 07-27-2004).]

#98408 - 07/27/04 07:11 PM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Yojimbo558 Offline

Loc: Marina, Ca. USA
Hi Sharon,

I agree with you in that if faced with a threat against my loved ones, I would attack...but over a wallet with easily replacable contents...why take the chance.

In the scenario described, Sam gets headbutted as part of the bad guy's intimidation to get Sam to comply. The first thing to note here is that in this scenario, not only has Sam failed to be Aware of his surroundings and have left himself open to his attacker following him into the stall.

But in the scenario provided by DecietfulSwing...it isn't until after he hands over the money after being headbutted that Sam learns that his attacker has backup...and it could be argued that he learns this because he's chose to strike his Mugger...and that the backup might not have revealed himself if he'd just complied.

After handing over the wallet Sam sadly picked a poor target. I might have selected a kick to the shin so that as he bent over he'd be set for a nice knee to the chin.

This scenario reminds me of an incident that really did occur a few years ago. My friend Adalberto was coming to California to visit and train for a few weeks from Puerto Rico. Prior to his trip, their had been a series of muggings where good martial artists had been either killed or injured.

On the night before Adalberto's flight, after leaving a bar, he was approached on the street by a man who demanded his money. Adalberto side stepped him and kept walking.

The surprised individual drew a gun and came after him. Adalberto gaged the distance of the individual, and the position with which he was holding the gun.

While the individual was within the range with which Adalberto had practised gun disarms. Remembering that other Martial Artists had recently been injured or killed in muggings recently...Adalberto did what his contemporaries hadn't. He looked around to see if his Mugger was alone & discovered that he wasn't. If he had struck he'd have been shot by this guys backup.

Adalberto gave them the money, he's a 4th Degree in Shorenji Ryu & a 4th Degree in Jujutsu. Yes as someone stated in a post...if you give them the money they may still attack...and they might not.

Had Adalberto attacked the Mugger instead of checking to see if the guy had any backup he would have been shot in the back and his wife & 3 children could have lost him. By complying he kept his life & as Sharon pointed out...replaced his money.

Adalberto's failing was being out late, and selecting a car in the wrong part of town, dressing nice to make him standout...and then having parked so far away from the bar that he stood out as he left and began walking several blocks to where he left it. It was his rank that let him do so...as he told himself that he could handle anyone if someone tried something. Instead of protecting him...these actions are what led to the Muggers selecting him as a target.

Eric

#98409 - 08/14/04 05:52 PM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
c_maj7th Offline

Loc: Indiana
Sam should be more selective in the places he frequents.

#98410 - 08/15/04 12:58 AM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Anonymous
Unregistered

well if i were int his position and i had just punch the guy and realized there was an acoplise...i would most likely do the first thing that came to my mind...(not being a strategic thinker) i would run like hell.. after i had hit the man i would push him out of the stall..and just run like hell...if there were a guy in the way it would have been football season..even for a little guy like me.. some person running out of stall ...and right into the watcher (guy who checks for witnesses) he would most likly be looking around..and boom out the door...afer that there would be no way these men could catch me...simple as that ...lol unless he pulled out a gun and shot me in the back..which would **** ...

#98411 - 08/15/04 07:05 AM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sam is really a suicide bomber and was in the process of priming his bomb when the mugger walked in, the dillema for sam is not if he should hand over his wallet but if he should change his plan and blow up the mens toilets along with the unfortunate mugger and his accomplice! :-) "Purely hypothetical of course"

#98412 - 08/16/04 03:47 PM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
With 3 people inside the stalls there aint going to be much room. The two attackers probably wont be able to stand side by side therefore if SAM is by the toilet he will probably have a column of two attackers to deal with. This is easier that one either side, SAM only has to worry about one attacker at a time. I would take out the first attacker with a hand strike depending on how he falls I would either go straight for the second attacker or use attacker no 1 as a shield.

#98413 - 08/18/04 12:59 PM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
Anonymous
Unregistered

In the situation you described only. I would kick or hit #1 again. Then since #2 is standing on the tolite seat (I had to read it again to make sure Sam wasn't on the seat)I'd probably reach up and pull him dowm onto the tolite in my stall (head first I'd hope) then grab #1 and pivot/throw him into #2 then run like hell.

As to in general - If I was in no preceived danger I would NOT hit first. In court all his lawyer would need to do is have him say "all I did was ask him for his money then he attacked me." You either have to admit this is what happened or purjure yourself in court.

NOTHING in your wallet (or purse) is worth your life.

#98414 - 08/19/04 02:40 AM Re: Try to get out of this one...(Scenario)
reaperblack Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
go low on the guy standing in the door(shoot for the legs for example) to take him to the ground and stay low enough not to get grabbed by the other guy, this should be fairly easy since you just punched him in the face. Then if he hasn't grabbed you, you should attempt to get out of the bathroom or at least in a more open space with a wall to your back and your attackers in front of you. If he has then you should go for the groin and get up.
Reaper

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga