FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
futsaowingchun 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Yesterday at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#98233 - 07/23/04 11:49 PM Re: Scenario: What should Joe do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Self-defense/Street Combat is quite different from a tournament. A few posters have already mentioned this - when you're in America and are in a verbal altercation, the first person who clearly physically strikes, like our pal Joe, is the one who lands in jail. Usually both land in jail like the poster from Michigan said, especially if it ends up in a brawl after that first strike. Unfortunately too many martial artists aren't taught true self-defense which includes a good grasp of the law, behavioral science and people skills along with the physical stuff. Not to be repetitive, but Joe should've been contrite and apologizing in a confident way. Also helps to smile and have your palms up (or any gesture to show your willingness to resolve the matter). The art of self-defense begins with the knowledge of conflict resolution. Usually, people who want to let you know you cut them off only yell at you and don't necessarily have the gumption after that to physically assault you, unless you goad them on that is.

#98234 - 07/24/04 01:32 AM Re: Scenario: What should Joe do?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's true that Joe did a lot of things that he shouldn't have done which is what led him to the theoretical situation he is in. But for the sake of argument, let's say that's what Joe did...

First of all, Joe should either keep hitting "Ron" until he is no longer a threat or try and make a break for it. Ron could still attack him with his hands, or he could go for a weapon. As long as Ron is still standing in front of Joe, he is still a threat.

I'll have to disagree with what others have written here. At least in the state of California, Joe is justified in hitting and kicking Ron. Ron pursued Joe from the parking lot into the store, he verbally threatened to kick Joe's ass (which is technically an assault, but not battery until he hits Joe), he was walking at Joe with his fists clenched, and he continued closing the distance even after Joe apologized. Ron had the intent, means, and opportunity to cause harm to Joe. Joe feared he was going to be attacked, so he defended himself. As long as Joe uses reasonable force to stop Ron (no kicking Ron once he goes down, no bashing his head with an object, etc.), he should be ok. Joe may still get arrested initially (after all, Ron will say he got hit first), but he should be able to defend himself in a court of law.

Since it happened in a grocery store, there would probably be witnesses who saw and heard Ron threaten Joe, saw Joe apologize, and saw Ron with his fists clenched continue to approach Joe even after the apology. This will help Joe's case because it's no longer a case of "he said, he said."

So when Joe gets on the stand, he simply says, "Ron followed me from the parking lot into the store, and he threatened to kick my ass. I tried apologizing but he kept coming at me with his fists clenched. Once he got within a few feet of me, I was afraid he was going to attack me so I defended myself."

If Joe did nothing and waited for Ron to attack first, it's certainly clear who made the first move - but what if instead of punching Joe, Ron attacks with a knife? Or he pulls a gun out of his back pocket? Or Ron sucker punches Joe, Joe goes down, and then Ron starts kicking Joe in the head? Here in California from time to time you read or hear about shootings that started with a road rage incident. Joe would be crazy to just let Ron attack him first because he has no idea what kind of attack it will be.

In the end, it was reasonable for Joe to believe Ron was going to carry out his threat in some manner, so Joe was justified in defending himself.

[This message has been edited by raptor_prime (edited 07-25-2004).]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga