FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
1 registered (Zombie Zero), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#97673 - 07/06/04 10:46 AM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Good Morning Chang Wufei:

Ok.... <sigh> exactly why do you want or need this specific skill (ie to fight)???

As for having spent... 3 years was it, and you have now completely engrained the JKD into you fundamental nature... what does that mean for those who have spent double or triple (or longer) your time studying that art? What does that mean... what are THEY studying?

Jeff

#97674 - 07/16/04 11:16 AM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

having traind for some time and you want to train in tie kwon do, do it you will eather like it or not,
go in to the club free of predudice and stay open minded.
as TKD is a sport you will have to compromise your ability to perform in JKD.
I would suggest trying Kempo as you mite find it simalal to JKD and easyer to adjust

#97675 - 07/25/04 03:31 AM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Chang Wufei Offline

Loc: Spokane, WA
Hey, sorry I haven't been replying to your posts, I've been away.

I read your posts and would like to say I appreciate all of your feedback. After a while back, I've decided on traditional Ju-jitsu, and then Muay Thai.

Thanks again

#97676 - 07/25/04 04:31 AM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
The greatest thing about JKD is the ability to raom the MA world, taking techniques, applying JKD pricipals, then making them your own. Dont mind the naysayers of TKD. They fear what they do not understand. JKDs founder,BL, was ridiculed many times for "going against the grain" and he did very well that way. TKD can be quite effective, if taught in a combative manner, easily defeating other styles who fail to train at the kicking range. These "other" styles fail to realise the importance and value of a well placed kick because they see guys do it for points on olympic teams, or they fail to train them long enough to become real assets to there system. I honestly believe I could break a mans neck with more than a few kicks I learned in TKD. But it took years of training to develope that kind of power and speed in a high kick. TKD is the long road for self defense because it takes longer to develope the skill and muscle to deliver some of the kicks with any real power but once the skill and muscle are there its well worth it. Ask anyone whose ever been kicked in the face by a real, combative, TKDst. Like the hermit Kung Fu master on the mountain, these schools are rare, and grow rarer each day, but do exist, and when found, are like the gold at the end of the rainbow.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. In a roundabout way, I too am a JKD practitioner! I just wish my ankle didn't cramp during our full contact sparring yesterday. Ruined my fun.

#97677 - 07/25/04 02:55 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Whether they want to admit it or not, anyone who does cross training in two or more arts does JKD. There was no cross training before JKD, it was considered taboo, blasphemous. Not whether or not there JKD is effective is another story but its still JKD.

#97678 - 07/25/04 05:52 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Uhh... Chen Hopkido was established between 1951 and 1958, depending on which take you like. Since it's loosely translated as "The Combinded Arts Way", it is a combination of Korean kicking arts and Japenese grappling and throwing arts. Judo and Jujitsu are both incorpirated into Hopkido.

#97679 - 07/25/04 06:33 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whether they want to admit it or not, anyone who does cross training in two or more arts does JKD. There was no cross training before JKD, it was considered taboo, blasphemous.

So....Cross training = JKD?

Interesting. What if you cross train in Kendo and Yellow Bamboo? Does that equal JKD?

#97680 - 07/25/04 08:11 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TwoGun:
Uhh... Chen Hopkido was established between 1951 and 1958, depending on which take you like. Since it's loosely translated as "The Combinded Arts Way", it is a combination of Korean kicking arts and Japenese grappling and throwing arts. Judo and Jujitsu are both incorpirated into Hopkido. [/QUOTE]

That's strange, since the accepted definition of "hapkido" I have always heard and have seen in several books is it is the Korean way of saying the japanese term "aikido", which translates to english as "the way of harmony".

#97681 - 07/25/04 08:24 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fletch1:
"Whether they want to admit it or not, anyone who does cross training in two or more arts does JKD. There was no cross training before JKD, it was considered taboo, blasphemous."

So....Cross training = JKD?

Interesting. What if you cross train in Kendo and Yellow Bamboo? Does that equal JKD?
[/QUOTE]
Yes. While it does not equal Jun Fan JKD or Paul Vunak's Jkd, thinking like this is the exact opposite of JKD. JKD was never meant as a certain style or a a certain system. To give JKD a label such as style or system is to make it concrete. Meaning that it can only be this way. Instead each individual creates his own JKD. Therefore JKD is constantly growing and changing. I was taught the curriculum of the original JKD
concepts and techniques. Following in JKD philosophy, I used what I could of it and forgot the rest. Then I moved on through other sytsems creating my own JKD, as it was meant to be. This way I dont learn someones interpretation of an art but instead create my own art and learn more about myself.

#97682 - 07/25/04 11:37 PM Re: Serious Martial Artist in need of Serious Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is the literal translation.

HAP--means "together" and means the harmony of body and spirit.

KI--defines the life and body energy

DO--means "way of life, way of learning".

In Seoul GM Ji began to develop his own style by combining the techniques learned at GM Choi with the Tae Kyon kicks, the weapon techniques, and the spiritual techniques. He called this new material art HapKiDo.

The training he recieved from GM Choi was in Judo and Jujutisu

While the literal translation can be taken to mean a combination of body and spirit, the generaly accepted English is combined arts way because of coming from a combination of different arts.

Aikido's literal trnalsation is the coordintated spirit way as taught to me my Steve White who inturn was trained by Dr. Su Masun of BYU who in turn was trained in Japan by Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga