FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#97598 - 03/07/08 07:48 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: janxspirit]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
While I would not wish to give legal advice on anything let alone the ultra complicated world of deadly force, I will say that there is a standard of reasonableness that you have to meet with your actions. That is... your actions need to be in line with what other reasonable people would have done in similar circumstances and with similar options.

Someone threatening you with a deadly weapon is affected by several things. What was their opportunity? What was their capability? What was their apparent intent? How afraid were you that violence was imminent? Was that fear reasonable?

If the guy across the street has a box cutter and is challenging you to fight so he can cut you and you have a gun, you might not be justified in the eyes of the law in shooting him.

If he is holding a gun not pointed at you and threatening to kill you, you might be justified in using deadly force whether it is a gun, a car or a garden hoe.

Some regions require that when faced with a deadly threat, you must retreat until it is no longer possible or practical and only when backed into a corner can you respond with deadly force. These are the places where you hear about people being criminaly charged when they shoot burglars inside their home. Some juries believe that you can always run away or hide under the bed with your families and not confront a felonious intruder lest something bad happen.

Fed up with this mentality, some regions have adopted "Stand Your Ground" or "Make My Day" laws that say you don't have to flee your home or your car to avoid having to use deadly force to protect yourself from someone posing a threat of serious bodily harm or death... as long as you reasonably believe that that threat is real and imminent.

That "reasonable" thing can be a tall order for a lot of people and is a nother reason why it is not necessarily a bad thing that most people elect not to own or carry firearms. It is still an enormous responsibility to carry and make the conscious decision to use it to protect yourself.

It is a very real burden that should not be romanticised or taken lightly.

Edited by Fletch1 (03/07/08 07:51 AM)

#97599 - 03/07/08 12:38 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: Fletch1]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
States are beginning to see the common sense of Castle doctrine laws and "immenent threat" laws in the use of deadly force for self defense, and much of it is being driven by soaring crime rates in specific areas. If anyone thinks they're "Dirty Harry", they shouldn't be carrying a gun as a civilian... but solid, concealed carry laws and programs to train people "what's right and what's legal"... need to be in force.

My neighborhood has gone from a "safe" zone to a war zone over the last 5 years, and I've started carrying my pistols most of the time now. It's a matter of being a victim or being able to defend yourself from deadly force.

If the rates of murder, carjacking, home invasion, and assault are up in your area... I would recommend concealed carry... if they're not, I would recommend having a weapon "readily accessible".

As a former LEO, if there was one thing I learned from being on the force was that good intentions will get you killed. Self defense is just that... and if your area is unsafe, you need to be prepared. Everybody's situation can be different... but the needs are the same. We had a saying on the Sheriff's office that was "make it alive to the end of the shift"... and that points out that regardless of what "shift" you're on, there's dangers out there.

Follow the rules, and stay safe.

#97600 - 03/07/08 08:36 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: wristtwister]
wristtwister Offline

Think you're safe at home? Think again...
http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080307/NEWS01/80307009/1004/NEWS01

The earlier version of this story had the guy tagged for 2 home invasions and 2 burglaries...

Now you know why I carry a gun around the house too...

#97601 - 03/07/08 08:50 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: wristtwister]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I don't see anything wrong with having a gun in the house to defend yourself with.

I think you are just stirring the pot Grady.

#97602 - 03/07/08 10:46 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: BrianS]
wristtwister Offline

No, Brian... merely showing folks that things are going on out there besides the weather. This guy is probably responsible for 4 attempted break-ins and two assaults in one night... so you can't sit on your couch and think that you're perfectly safe. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the kind of gun control you need is a firm grip and good sight pattern.

This guy was around for hours... so when you think the police are going to be there for you, you might be hours away from any help... especially on a weekend night.

My son lives near Charlotte, NC and they publish a magazine every week called "Slammer"... which is pictures and charges for all the people arrested that week. It should tell you something when you have enough people going to jail that you can turn it into a magazine... it sells for a buck.

Sleep tight... I'm sure you're safe...

#97603 - 03/08/08 12:30 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: wristtwister]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Geeze wrist....

Maybe we should all arm ourselves to the teeth to protect ourselves from these illegal immigrants....wait..he looked American!!

Get over yourself. I'm armed ok!! I have an RPG ready to defend my house brother!!!

#97604 - 03/08/08 12:46 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: BrianS]
wristtwister Offline

It doesn't matter what he looks like, but since you brought it up...
http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/profiles/ms13/

These are the kind of good citizens that are pouring over our borders. When they show up in your neighborhood, be sure to greet them with the smarta$$ answers rather than a gun. I'll send flowers...

#97605 - 03/08/08 08:22 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: wristtwister]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
Here we go again!

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga