FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#97558 - 06/23/04 05:05 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
I tried to explain it the best that I could to include body mechanics and physcology. Nothing of which anyone else discused.
It is just a technique I prefer. Not all the answers as you suggest. Ed

#97559 - 06/29/04 01:04 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
I tried to explain it the best that I could to include body mechanics and physcology. Nothing of which anyone else discused.
It is just a technique I prefer. Not all the answers as you suggest. Ed
[/QUOTE]

Ed, just for GP if you get BB magazine there is a pistol technique on page 78 of this months issue, not to sure about it, the technique looks very loose and sloppy.
Check it out.

#97560 - 06/29/04 07:29 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Looked on page 78...only saw two koreans breaking the sound barrier with their feet. Which month? Ed

#97561 - 06/30/04 08:02 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
schanne Offline
breaks things

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Glasheen:
Looked on page 78...only saw two koreans breaking the sound barrier with their feet. Which month? Ed[/QUOTE]

Sorry, July 2004, The cover has "The Evolution of TKD Kicks" page 78

#97562 - 06/30/04 09:46 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
schanne Offline
breaks things

Ed, viewed your wedsite and it looks real nice, after all our dicussion about "close encounter pistol techniques" I am going to incorporate the one you have on your site to our self defense agenda and program. We practiced it the other night and I feel it work very well. Oh by the way love that picture "are you overtraining"? Saaaweeeeeet! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#97563 - 06/30/04 05:05 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Thank you
Just to add, if you find that you screwed up the armbar then go for a wrist twist (break) by grabbing the gun from underneath with your right hand and leveraging the gun into the attacker. You should be able to control the gun and the attackers body. ( this is if you are disarming right side.)Reverse for left sided disarms. Ed

#97564 - 05/05/05 11:18 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: otobeawanker]
Nevermiss Offline

I said something about this in another post. A good speed shooter can pull his gun from his holster and fire a shot in less than .3 seconds. Realistically if somebody has a gun you're screwed. In the other post I said if the person is close to you run, scream, and zig zag. If the person is far away, get down, and crawl as fast as you can for cover. It takes .3 something seconds for your brain to put what you see into physical motion, the lights at drag strips are designed around this reaction time. I can't remember the time perfectly but I'm fairly sure it's .3 something. In otherwords a good speed shooter could draw and fire a single shot possibly killing you before you even had enough time to cover your face out of a fear reaction. In otherwords disarming somebody with a gun is BS. If the person was close or struggling to pull the weapon out, you might have a chance of tackling them and taking the gun but that's such a long shot I wouldn't take it with a .50 cal big boar sniper rifle if you know what I mean.

#97565 - 05/05/05 11:34 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: Ed Glasheen]
Nevermiss Offline

And I saw a couple people say it was possible...yeah...in movies. How do you figure you can move your humanly 100+ maybe even 200+ pound body towards a person faster than he can flick his finger? If you want to get REAL technical, assume incorrectly I might add, that you can grab the gun arm at the same speed/time as a man's .3 something second reaction time to pull a trigger. The air resistance on your body would slow you down enough for the guy to get a shot off before you touched him. If somebody has a gun, act like a girl, cry, talk about your kids (seriously, humanize yourself and try to stir a little sympathy) make it extremely clear that you're more than compliant, don't be compliant, be helpful!!! If you're a female say "Wait a second! You can have my earrings too!!!". Nobody but a real sick twisted SOB wants to kill you, they just want their money. In the case it's a rapist, would you rather be raped and be alive tomorrow or get shot tonight a virgin (if you were a virgin before the rape that is...)? Also another tip I've heard from some experts on OPRAH, haha, yes Oprah. They said if a armed person tries to take you off somewhere force them to shoot you there on the spot. The reasoning is, would you rather be shot in a busy parking lot where the cops would have a really good chance of catching the bad guys, or dragged off somewhere, chained in a basement, be sexually assaulted and brutally tortured by some real sicko for a year until he stabs you to death with a sewing needle or something super insane like that. I'll take the "Go ahead and shoot me because I'm not leaving with you" option. Anybody still dumb enough to think they can take a gun from me before I pull the trigger is welcome to try it. Especially considering you're talking about the guy ALREADY has the gun drawn!?!?! One word: stupidity. You have a better chance of complying if they want something material. A guy was shot here recently for talking crap to the wrong guy and later refusing to kiss his shoes. I'd rather kiss some shoes than have my brains blown out like that poor kid and be on the 10 o'clock news. If this person doesn't want anything but you dead. RUN! not many people who have guns have ever even shot them off. The ones who have squeezed off a few rounds are far from proficient at it, and the ones who are proficient usually don't practice hitting moving targets. So run, scream, duck dodge, zig and zag, and maybe you'll be alive the next day with a really cool story to tell your friends when you get drunk.

Edited by Nevermiss (05/05/05 11:40 PM)

#97566 - 05/06/05 12:52 AM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: Nevermiss]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Old thread.

Situation dictates, always. Might there be a time when you have to defend yourself agaisnt a firearm and escape is not possible or practical? Yes.

#97567 - 05/06/05 09:17 PM Re: Gun Disarm; Pistol Front [Re: Nevermiss]
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Nevermiss, you miss with your assesment.
First unless your attacker is a mind reader it is impossible for him/her to react to your actions in .3 seconds. Sorry my friend it is not that fast.
Second you fail to realize that people get shot everyday for all kinds of reasons and the guy who did not kiss the shoes was going to get shot anyway...even if he did kiss the shoes. There is a specific mindset that a person has to have to shoot and kill someone and in this case the gun holder was going to shoot no matter what.
Third you also fail to regonized that when a person is attacked, they tend to set freeze...so your chance of disarming someone close with the proper techniques are very good.
The military teaches 9 feet radius for disarms. While I think that is a little absurd....three feet is very realistic if you know what you are doing....
I believe and teach to fight instead of being a victim. Fear is a show stopper. If you are going to die then you are going to die...at least go out fighting. Chances are that you will survive..the odds and rules of human behavior are in the attackers favor...be the attacker.
Ed

Edited by Ed Glasheen (05/06/05 09:20 PM)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga