FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#97516 - 05/25/04 09:04 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by otobeawanker:
Well you are entitled to your opinion as am I.

I have never broken a bone in my life. I won the genetic lotery.

To call an individual person shite at Martial arts that you have never sparred is quite ridiculus.

Techniquies that arn't practical, cannot be pratically applied.

I am just trying to illustrate Martial arts is about being Martial. Not being artful.

Too many schools these days give their students a false confidence. I have used my techniques in the ring and on the street, never finding one person that can match me. I havn't even found groups of armed men that can.

Any real Martial artist should be "Born again Hard." If you can't take a baseball bat to the body. How do you ever expect to take a good Thai Kick. In the UFC those Thai kicks they throw are an 80mph steel rod. If you don't accustomise your body to such things you can only expect to go so far.

I saw a fight between Royce and a Kick Boxer / BJJ guy. Royce couldn't even stand up during the fight and was lying on his back fighting a standing opponent. I havn't seen him fight since. Guess he just couldn't hack it. Thats not gonna be me.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-25-2004).]
[/QUOTE]DANGER! DANGER! THIS IS AN ASHIDA KIM ALERT! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

#97517 - 05/25/04 10:50 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

#97518 - 05/25/04 10:56 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA

I have taken bats to the body and HEAD
[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-25-2004).]
[/QUOTE]
That explains soooo much [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#97519 - 05/25/04 11:21 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
I have taken bats to the body and head on the street when I was attacked by five people. I was also blinded by pepper sray at the time. I beat them down in under a minute. I had a nickel size bruise on the inside of my knee, that was the only injury i suffered. I have a bent piece of metal as a souvenior.

How old are you and how stupid do you think people are? I grew up in a bad neighborhood and have seen what a bat to the head can do.

You talk about traditional systems not being able to stand up on the street but you have no idea what you are talking about. It's not what you study; it's how you study. Regardless of the system if you don't make the techniques second nature you will loose. If you don't understand body mechanics, you will loose. If you don't have a good sense of timing and distance, you will loose. Every technique has its place and window of opportunity. The reality is some techniques just have a much smaller window than other making them much more impractical.

If your such a badass then why aren't you in the UFC? If you have taken blows to the head with a bat then no punch or kick will faze you. Maybe the blow to the head is what fuels your delusions. Claiming an art is ineffective is ignorant. At higher levels of training all arts hold the same basic concepts and beliefs, and i'm not talking about 2nd or 3rd bb.

Aren't you the one that said he studied ninjutsu from a book? I hope all your studies aren't from books and videos.

Back on the topic at hand. Books and videos are only good for reference. They will not teach you what you really need to know to be effective. They will not correct your mistakes. They will not teach you how to take a hit. They will not teach you timing and distance, you need a partner at least for this. If you are not receiving instruction from a COMPETANT instructor you are only getting a fraction of the truth.

#97520 - 05/26/04 01:24 AM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
Chang Wufei Offline

Loc: Spokane, WA
I can say with full confidence, training videos are useless. NOTHING can replace the teaching of a qualified Sensei/Sifu/Sempei. Instructors can correct each of your movements and make them stronger. A two hour video can't even scratch the surface of a martial art.

#97521 - 05/26/04 01:58 AM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
otobeawanker Offline

You must learn to read better, your output is exceding your input.

You are making blind asumptions. I never clamied to be a bad ass. Nor have I ever started a fight with anyone. Nor have I ever picked on anyone.

Maybee its just us canadian men, I think we might be more manly then alot of other contries. We grow up fighting polar bears and hunting giant whales.

I assure you a properly deliverd Thai Kick by a skilled practitioner of the art is worse than a bat. The reason I'm not in the UFC is I cant train forty hours week, I have a writing career that pays alot more than fighting.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

#97522 - 05/26/04 09:00 AM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
My reading is just fine and i assume nothing. Although you havne't come right out and stated "i am a bad ass", you imply it. Now you imply that we are weaker because we're not Canadian? Get over your self. You listed the systems you trained in but didn't say who you trained with. Other than you "orange belt" in karate, what have you studied in an actual school or under a qualified instructor? You claim to be able to take pepper spray, a bat to the head and a "steele saya to the face. You claim over 2hours of training a day, 7 days a week every week for a year and have been "conditioning" your body all your life. But still aren't good enough to get in the octogan? The problem most people here have with you isn't that they are threatened by you, it's the false and missleading info you are putting out to the people that don't know better. At 24 i would think you could com up with better lies than the ones i've read from you so far.

#97523 - 05/26/04 06:47 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
otobeawanker Offline

Learn to relax. You seem tense. Most Canadian men are latte drinking yuppies like the rest of the mainstream consumer culture. I was kiding, about the polar bears.

But I did invent the question Mark.

#97524 - 05/29/04 09:55 PM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
student Offline

Otobeawanker, perhaps you should be more discrete about your nationality. I am concerned that people from other countries might actually think you represent a ‘typical’ Canadian.

#97525 - 05/30/04 04:24 AM Re: Training videos- Worthless or not?
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA

Maybee its just us canadian men, I think we might be more manly then alot of other contries. We grow up fighting polar bears and hunting giant whales.

]
[/QUOTE]

Now there's a challenge guys. Can any of you top fighting polar bears and hunting giant whales?
Does anyone else remember the Lumberjack Song from Monty Python? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga