FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 76 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#97497 - 05/26/04 03:24 AM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
John_C Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by otobeawanker:
As far as thinking that one can harden on pads is absurd. I've been training Muay Thai for five years. The instructers feel that you can't harden your body with pads.[/QUOTE]

Khun Kao Charaud disagrees;

[QUOTE]Conditioning the Shins

I've decided to do a short post on shin conditioning, as this topic keeps rearing its ugly head (over and over and over...)

1. Kick the Heavy Bag and/or Thai pads. You should kick over 100x's each day. I recommend 500x's, or around that figure.

2. Stop every so often and massage the shins vigourously to get the blood flowing back into them. This promotes faster healing of the bruised flesh and any damage to the bone.

3. Do not "tap" or "beat" your shins with sticks, boards, bottles, etc. This causes bruises, knots, etc to form on the shin. These painful little areas may stick with you for quite some time. My BJJ instructor has had a shin injury last for over a year b/c of improper shin conditioning.

4. Optional exercise: find a cylindrical object such as a rolling pin or bottle, and roll it lightly up and down the full length of the shin. Do this for at least 20 min's per shin.

There has been mention of the popular myth that in old age, Thai boxers shins become soft. Believe me, this is NOT TRUE! I have spoken with many older, retired Thai boxers, none of them have experienced any detrimental health issues concerning the conditioning of their shins and legs. I also s/w a medical professional, and to the best of that person's knowledge, the only likely explanation would be if someone had osteo-perosis (sp?), where the body leaches calcium from the bones when there is not enough in the diet. (Thailand is still in many ways a third world nation)
--
Khun Kao Charuad
SuriyaSak Muay Thai at USDC www.elbowko.com www.lloydirvin.com
to contact: KhunKao@mindspring.com />archived tutorials: http://go.to/stickgrappler

[/QUOTE]

As does everyone I know who ACTUALLY TRAINS MUAY THAI.

/shrug

#97498 - 05/26/04 07:55 AM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
laf7773 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Limbo
How exactly do you know what the training is like in japan? Have you been there? An orange blet in karate hardly qualifies you to judge the effectiveness of the art.

[This message has been edited by laf7773 (edited 05-26-2004).]

#97499 - 05/26/04 06:48 PM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
Its called research.

Edited for bad typing. My big hands are bad for keyboards. I wonder if they make key boards with big keys.

[This message has been edited by otobeawanker (edited 05-26-2004).]

#97500 - 05/27/04 08:28 AM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
In other words, he doesn't.

JohnL

#97501 - 05/27/04 09:41 AM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
VJ Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Its called research.

Edited for bad typing. My big hands are bad for keyboards. I wonder if they make key boards with big keys.

[/QUOTE]

If your computer has plenty of memory try Dragon Speak it'll make it easier because you talk to your PC.

#97502 - 05/27/04 09:46 AM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
VJ Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Its called research.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to know how you did your research. I've lived in Japan and saw some very intense training in Judo and Karate. Also if you ever read Black Belt magazine there is a program offering 3-year intense traditional karate training which requires a full commitment.

#97503 - 05/27/04 06:51 PM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
otobeawanker Offline

Loc: CANADA
I have seen the folly of my ways. I realize that all schools run at different intensity levels and its not what you train so much but how you train. The Karate school of my childhood was a school of paper dragons. That left a bad taste in my mouth for a long time. That I ended up leaving at orange belt to go into Street fighting Ju Jit Su. Taught by a police officer. If I can learn to change my one track opinions on the gui arts so fast. It is because I have an open mind. I also learn very fast and have a thirst for knowledge. However they don't have the same legal liabilities In Japan as here. Many schools there can train there students at a Higher intensity level without fear of being suied I guess. Thats what I was trying to illustrate that what I have seen of Japanese schools on the science channel seemed more like hardcore military training.

#97504 - 05/31/04 01:46 PM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recomend muay thai because you already have the boxing backround and it would help with learning or if you dont do muay thai i would say judo because it is one of the best martial arts for street fights.

#97505 - 06/01/04 02:26 PM Re: need help choosing style/ not the normal what is best
immrtldragon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Just outside Philadelphia, PA
The metal helmut and shoulder pads are your weapon you attack the unprotected ribs, legs and joints of your opponent with.

[/QUOTE]

Um...football helmets are plastic. Only the facemask is metal.

BTW, if you are such an ironman and can take full power, bareknuckle shots all over the body, I suggest trying Pancrase and see how well you do. You could make tons of money as they do not allow face shots. Now go get 'em Ironman [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga