FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#97028 - 04/22/04 06:00 PM Against Rape
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
What advice would you give to help protect against rape or other sexual assault?

#97029 - 04/22/04 06:03 PM Re: Against Rape
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
The main one would have to be awareness and lifestyle.

Rape is likely to be an ambush type attack, hellishly difficult to defend from. So don't put yourself in harms way to begin with.

#97030 - 04/22/04 08:08 PM Re: Against Rape
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Awareness.
trust(or develop) your instincts, if something doesn't seem right-it probably isn't-so get the hell out of dodge or avoid the person.

#97031 - 04/23/04 02:55 AM Re: Against Rape
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
I agree with the awareness/avoidance and "not being there" advice given so far.

I would also try to instill in women that just because they have had a few drinks in a bar with someone does not mean they are not a stranger. So called "date rape" is disturbingly common. The victim is lulled into a false sense of security by the predator and it shocks me how many women are happy to leave a bar/club with someone they have just met.

I would also advise everyone not to allow anyone they don't trust completely to go to the bar to purchase their drink and not to leave their drink unattended whilst they go off to the ladies room or the dance floor. Someone spiked my drink with an hallucogenic when I was young "for a laugh". They did not intend me any harm but I was ill for about two days. It was someone I had known for a couple of years, not a potential rapist, just an idiot with a strange sense of humour and little common sense.
Sharon

#97032 - 04/23/04 11:17 AM Re: Against Rape
mikelw Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bothell, Washington (not DC), ...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by still wadowoman:
I agree with the awareness/avoidance and "not being there" advice given so far.

I would also try to instill in women that just because they have had a few drinks in a bar with someone does not mean they are not a stranger. So called "date rape" is disturbingly common. The victim is lulled into a false sense of security by the predator and it shocks me how many women are happy to leave a bar/club with someone they have just met.

I would also advise everyone not to allow anyone they don't trust completely to go to the bar to purchase their drink and not to leave their drink unattended whilst they go off to the ladies room or the dance floor. Someone spiked my drink with an hallucogenic when I was young "for a laugh". They did not intend me any harm but I was ill for about two days. It was someone I had known for a couple of years, not a potential rapist, just an idiot with a strange sense of humour and little common sense.
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes women tend to be rather nieve when it comes to going off by themselves with unknown men.
Example:

A couple weeks ago a friend and i had to go to some retreat for church (as in we were forced to....anyway). We met this girl in the morning who hung around with us for like 3 hours during the day. At night (like 11pm) we were walking around outside and she starts walking with us. Before i knew it, we were in a secluded spot, no lights, NOBODY around.

What if my friend and I weren't normal people? What if we were rapists? That girl had essentially isolated herself in near complete darkness, away from all possible help, with 2 6'2 200 lbs guys.

She had quite a shocked look on her face when i told her not to be so trusting of men sometimes.

#97033 - 04/27/04 07:04 PM Re: Against Rape
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Yes, I had 2 female friends who couldn't understand why I thought it was a really bad idea to go out to a cow pasture to a party 2 guys they had just met at the icehouse invited them to.
Gee, go out into the country, out in the middle of a field, middle of night with 6 or more guys who are drunk/stoned who you don't know-what could ever be wrong with that?
I was amazed those 2 had made it to the age of 24.

#97034 - 04/27/04 08:03 PM Re: Against Rape
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
nekogami13, I am familiar with those types of parties. I've frequented my share here in North Carolina during my days growing up. I've seen the same things. It's amazing how much trust people will put into others they barely know.

And therein lies the key. It's about not extending trust to people you barely know. It's also, ALWAYS about using some common sense. Self-preservation should NEVER have to come to some sort of martial arts techniques. It should never get that far. Prevention, awareness, etc., etc. is the best answer, although I realize it's not always that easy. Especially when it happens that those closest to you become your adversaries. It's tough. LIFE is tough. Making wise decisions helps somewhat....that and not allowing anyone to slip you a roofie.

-John

#97035 - 04/28/04 06:44 PM Re: Against Rape
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
75% of rapes are by someone the victim knows.

"trust is a weakness to be exploited by the enemy”

I have seen so many rape victims that willingly walked home with a guy they had just met. ……FFS got 1 that happened this weekend..

DON’T GO HOME ALONE WITH A GUY YOU DON’T PROPERLY KNOW/TRUST.

“Prevention is better than cure!”

mark

#97036 - 04/29/04 01:34 PM Re: Against Rape
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
The best defence I agree is avoidance, but secondly police statistics have shown that fighting back seldom ingreases the level of violence used by the attacker. One really good move is to bite somewhere around 60-70% of rapists attempt to mouth kiss their victim so whan they do bite down on the lips till your teeth meet, second fight back with all the strength you have. Kick bite scratch anything attacking the groin sometimes has been shown to work. Also use anything around you as a weapon look for wood, bricks rocks, or even a pen jab the pen as far into the attackers neck as you possibly can.

#97037 - 04/29/04 01:46 PM Re: Against Rape
still wadowoman Offline
Improved beefier techno-prat

Loc: Residence:UK- Heart:Md, USA
The other thing I would advise is that if a woman faces the worse case scenario and finds herself pinned to the floor with both his hands holding both of hers, there is littl point struggling at this stage. He is most likely much stronger, but he will have to move to take the atack further (ie to unzip his flies etc.) When he moves, that's when she should make her move, quickly and violently. Hurt him as much as possible, like wado says, even biting if that's all you can do (I know there are health risks, but you have to weigh up the pros and cons and as a last reort, biting can be effective); then get the hell out of there, making lots of noise and drawing as much attention to herself as possible.

I have mentioned this before, but also, if accosted by a man with a knife demanding that you go with him, whatever you do, don't! Your cances of surviving a stab wound in an area where someone might walk by may be slim, but not as slim as survival in his house or a secluded derelict house etc. Women captured in this way are usually killed after days, weeks or even months of rape and torture.

Horrible subject, makes you go cold doesn't it?

Any other advice anyone?
Sharon

[This message has been edited by still wadowoman (edited 04-29-2004).]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga