FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95752 - 11/01/03 07:55 AM Why I like the palm heel strike
pharvey Offline

The main reason I like the palm hel strike is because you are less likely to break your hand with this type of strike than you are with a closed fisted strike. Also I like the palm heel to the chin because this breaks your attacker's balance, then you can step in and throw him to the ground.

#95753 - 11/01/03 08:17 AM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi PHarvey, welcome to these forums [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

The reason I love palm heel strikes is that to an onlooker (witness) or to anyone watching cctv after the incident it looks less agressive than a punch. "I only pushed him officer" or "I only slapped him your honour"
Sharon

#95754 - 11/01/03 09:08 AM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
charles mckey Offline
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
The reason I love palm heel strikes is that to an onlooker (witness) or to anyone watching cctv after the incident it looks less agressive than a punch. "I only pushed him officer" or "I only slapped him your honour"
[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough, there are some MMA competitions where you can palm heel, but not punch. Apparently the ruling exists because of a similar rationale, i.e. punching is deemed less acceptable than palm heeling by either venues or licensing authorities (I forget which).

#95755 - 11/01/03 03:27 PM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
Tkdstreetfighter88 Offline

Loc: Ocala, Fl, USA
I have never used a palm strike in combat before with the exception of one to the solar plexus.

In my school we are taught about the plam strike to the solar plexus to drop an opponent. We are also taught to strike the nose with one for fatal results.(Not getting into the debate of the nose bone in the brain thing, my instructor claims he seen people killed by a plam to the nose in WW2. But thats not my question)

My question is if you use a palm to the chin can you sanp someones neck or not? I have heard people tell me that a plam can throw someone off balance and maybe ko them, i have heard that a palm to the chin can snap the neck crippling your opponent or killing them. What is true?

Also if you use a palm upside the jaw or to the eye socket can you ko some as if you used a punch?Also does it leave a noticeable mark like a punch does.

I just know that a palm is more powerful and less painful for you by using it on combos to the punching bag.

#95756 - 11/01/03 05:11 PM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
People think slapping doesn't hurt.

Here's a free lesson; most untrained people cannot punch to hurt people.

Slapping bloody hruts, and some palces ask for it.

I like it, one knuckle punches and seizing muscle groups, then elbowing the said opponent.

#95757 - 11/02/03 12:39 AM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
Anonymous
Unregistered

tkdfighter, answer to your questions is yes.
Yes, someone's neck could snap-same as any strike to head.

Yes,you can knock someone out with it,same as any head strike.

As for marks-a black eye is a black eye.As for bruising on other parts,don't know.
I do know my instructor can palm strike and leave a perfect handprint on you.

#95758 - 11/02/03 02:24 PM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
Reiki Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: MiddleEarth
Hard target [head], soft weapon [palm-heel]...

my favourite head strike
[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Devastating.

Also better if facing the law afterwards you can say "oh, but I only slapped him" and there are no bruises or cuts on your knuckles like there would be from punching.

You can hit harder using waveform techniques too.

#95759 - 11/03/03 10:27 AM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
the504mikey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana, United States
TKD,

I think the technique you are referring to is what people who have studied WWII Comabatives call a "chin jab". This may be what your instructor was alluding to, although he would have to be pretty old to have seen it first hand. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

The palm is thrust under the chin, cranking the neck back-- not into the nose. It's like an upper cut to the chin, only done with the palm (and therefore with the inside of the forearm forward, unlike the upper cut). Ths shock from this blow can definitely generate enough "brain rattle" to knock someone out. You can crouch down while entering, then use the legs to add power to the blow when you come up.

When people speak of this technique being fatal, they are most likely referring to the "second half" of the technique, where the person's legs are swept out from under him (like osoto gari in judo), and then the head is driven into the ground when they fall.

The whole sequence is continuous-- pop the chin, sweep the legs (or leg), then drive them headfirst into the pavement. Obviously this is a very dangerous technique, and it should only be considered where lethal force is justified. In the WWII Combative manuals, the enemy was usually finished by stomping or jumping on them with heavy boots.

As far as I know, no one has ever been killed with a palm strike to the nose. Anatomically speaking, it's extremely unlikely. If you know someone who insists this has happened you might take it as a sign that you should evaluate other things he tells you carefully.

Busting someone's head open on the cement, though, is easier than it should be...

#95760 - 11/08/03 03:19 PM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
roundhouser Offline

Loc: melbourne
i agree............

#95761 - 11/08/03 05:38 PM Re: Why I like the palm heel strike
Tkdstreetfighter88 Offline

Loc: Ocala, Fl, USA
Yea my master instructor is pretty old like 85 or something like that. Hes been doing MA since the 40s, and been doing tae kwon do and hapkido since the 60s, and old style from korea called chung do kwan. In are one step sparring, #3 and #13 involve palm thrust to the nose. He told us that they are the most lethal of attacks and can kill someone instantly, he claims to have seen people drop dead from palm heels back in WW2. Ive heard that palms to the nose arent fatal, but thats what hes said. #1 and #11 are also to the nose, but with a punch instead. As well as #6 and #16 with backfist to the nose. He tells us that punches and backfist will break the nose while a plam heel will have fatal results. I personally beleive are #5 is the most lethal(a spearhand to the throat).But hes the 5th blackbelt not me. I was just curious about a palm to the chin because i would think the neck would get the full force of the blow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga