FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95650 - 10/21/03 04:55 PM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have grappled with lots of men (no funny comments, I mean in a training environment [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]). I have only met one man who treated me inappropriately and that happened during partnered stretching not in grappling. He was suitably dealt with and as faras I know, no longer trains.

As Xeres said the odd brushing of delicate parts is unavoidable but if neither side makes a big deal out of it there is no problem and it is no more embarrasing than grappling with another female.

I also think that woman should grapple men for the reasons Charles stated.
Sharon

#95651 - 10/21/03 05:11 PM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
charles mckey Offline
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
I also think that woman should grapple men for the reasons Charles stated.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly - a BJJ instructor in another forum puts it this way "If you want to train to stop a 250lb guy between your legs keeping you on the floor, you should train with a 250lb guy between your legs trying to keep you on the floor..."

I should clarify my earlier post by saying that the stories I've heard of women being put off grappling arts aren't due to them actually experiencing some fellow getting his jollies from training, but rather them seeing a training session (and the proximity involved) and thinking "Eeew".

[This message has been edited by charles mckey (edited 10-21-2003).]

#95652 - 10/21/03 06:39 PM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
You know what? If I could remove the kids who don't want to train or are too noisy, and the adults I find annoying, that's all the bloody restrictions I require.

I like the "Dr Phil" approach to fighting back or "getting real" - telling someone who is fat there is nothing wrong won't help, and entirely women's calss won't help these rabid feminazis how to beat off a 300lb trained or formerly incarcerated person trying to rape them.

#95653 - 10/21/03 10:30 PM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Kotetsu Offline

Loc: Hollis, NH, USA
That definately can't be good for training, an all girls or guys course, you don't get the body size and strength differences and such, i know that some of the women in my class(and a couple guys too) have trouble working with me because i am so tall and have so much reach, but it trains them to deal with people bigger than them. I have trouble with a fellow student because he is so much stronger than me i just can't do some of the moves against him, which is good training, it reminds me of what not to do against stronger people, which is about everyone [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#95654 - 10/22/03 01:48 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Anonymous
Unregistered

What struck me most about these groups other than what has already been covered is this:

How much backlash do you think there would be if,for example, one of us said that our group was for hetrosexuals only - no gays?
Or what if an organisation said no women?

I am sure there would be a public outcry.

I was so intrigued by the christian group that I contacted them to ask why they would not train people of other religions. They really had no satisfactory answer and they were far from "christian" in their attitude to other religions.

What a funny old world.
Sharon

#95655 - 10/22/03 02:36 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Bossman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chatham Kent UK
Interesting... I've been asked to set up a Karate and Tai Chi club in the biggest Sikh Temple in Europe, but as an ancient white English Atheist with slight Buddhist and Taoist leanings on nice days I guess it's good that they asked me. . I have meetings with the Guru over the next few months.

I have a very multi ethnic club and a traditional Shinto Buddhist shrine in my Dojo and the only objections I ever had to it were from a rare few fundamentalist Christians.

I have always found most people tolerant, open minded and happy to mix if somewhat embarassed in the beginning. However, they soon lose their inhibitions after the first few lessons. I'm not sure that a restricted group would reinforce those inhibitions ar help to lose them, I guess it would depend on the leaders. whether they preach tolerance or intolerance.....

Steve

#95656 - 10/22/03 05:26 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Fighting Dwarf Offline

Loc: UK
An all women's group I can understand as an introductory thing, if it makes certain women more comfortable, but only for a few weeks (if that long), then things need to be mixed up. All men's group, don't see the point.

A gay and lesbian club, personally I don't see the point, but I guess it would be an issue for some people. I think having the specific groups just draws attention to something that shouldn't even be relevant. Although I suppose the sight of two lesbians grappling could be something of a distraction to all the heterosexual males, or so I've been told! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

An all Christian group, WTF???

-Charlie

#95657 - 10/22/03 06:35 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Fighting Dwarf Offline

Loc: UK
...ah wait, it's for defence against lions, right?! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#95658 - 10/22/03 07:38 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
Anonymous
Unregistered

lol @ Charlie's lion comment [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

#95659 - 10/22/03 08:27 AM Re: Group specific martial arts classes
charles mckey Offline
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fighting Dwarf:
...ah wait, it's for defence against lions, right?! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

...whereas single sex classes provide defence against loins...

bdum-tish!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga