FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
#95174 - 09/12/03 08:20 AM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
I also have a great knife technique.

It involves creeping up behind a person, stabbing them in the ass, when they turn to see what's going on I stab their foot (pinning it to the floor so they can't move) at that point I do a sequence of unarmed moved which I can't tell you about as they're secret and if I told anyone I'd then have to kill them.
I then would apply Ed's technique of the month (with my second knife) just in case.

Ed.

You should have put your new move of the month on your web site earlier. You could have then just pointed the schoolchild asking advice about bullying to it instead of givving out the sh*t advice you did in that thread.

You're clearly an idiot.

JohnL

#95175 - 09/12/03 08:56 AM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
Anonymous
Unregistered

john,
Harsh, even for you but....ROFLMAO [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

#95176 - 09/12/03 10:30 AM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
I also have a great knife technique.

You're clearly an idiot.

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Can't stop laughing.

#95177 - 09/12/03 12:00 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
I also have a great knife technique...
Ed.

You should have put your new move of the month on your web site earlier. You could have then just pointed the schoolchild asking advice about bullying to it instead of givving out the sh*t advice you did in that thread.

You're clearly an idiot.

JohnL
[/QUOTE]

ROFLMAO [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

John, in case you've been considering a career move: Those vacancies at the State Dept. for the Diplomatic Corps? I'd suggest it might be a waste of your time!!!

#95178 - 09/12/03 04:31 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Csinca, Yes, the knee strike is to round out uke's back so I can get in for the throw. I keep up with uke's backward movement in the attack by one grabing his right arm and 2. after the initial slash I hook the back of his neck with the knife. Ed

#95179 - 09/12/03 07:48 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
the504mikey Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana, United States
--rant warning--

The signal to noise ratio here continues to baffle me.

I have trained in martial arts in some capacity since I was seven years old. At 32, I continue to learn something new every day.

Want to know what I am learning this week? This week I am learning that I KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. I learned this by chatting with some experienced knife fighters.

I talked to prison guards and law enforcement officers here in the United States who routinely witness knife attacks.

From the cavalier attitudes here in this forum, it is clear that few if any of you know how dangerous knives are.

Three months ago a man approached four families having a picnic and sat quietly a picnic table where the fathers were talking. He seemed strange, a harmless little fellow, about 5'6" tall and 160 pounds. Moments later two fathers were dead, a third was dying, and the fourth was running to his truck with his child... He managed to get to the truck and hit the attacker, who then fled in his own car.

In less than a minute or two, three families lost their fathers to one skinny guy with a blade. One little guy with no training other than some time in prison and a hard heart. Four grown men. But not you, right? You would probably just side kick the little twerp into next month without even stopping to put down your chicken.

This week in Florida a police officer used a tazer on an uncooperative subject. The officer is currently in the hospital recovering from the stab wounds he received after the tazer failed to drop the subject. The subject is recovering from gunshot wounds he sustained from someone who probably sees tazers in a whole new light. They rank right up there with pepper spray in that they're wonderfully effective against the kinds of people you probably wouldn't need them for.

Many people who are stabbed to death die NEVER KNOWING THEY WERE STABBED. They may be wrestling with someone on the ground, thinking they are being punched in the back, and never know what is really happening until they bleed out.

My father worked a murder case where the *victim*, covered in what he thought was his attacker's blood, called an ambulance for his attacker because "I beat him up pretty bad". He passed out while talking to the 911 operator on the phone. The "winner" of that fist fight was dead before police arrived-- he never saw the knife, and never knew he was being stabbed.

Yet those of you who bother to train with knives at all will hand them to your partners, square off, and start practicing with a whole list of advantages that most stabbing victims never have... you at least know you're in a knife fight, and you see the blade, and a lot of times the attack is even scripted for you.

The reality is that most people who attack with knives never show the blade, and many of them carry more than one knife.

So Ed here shows you guys a little tiny piece of information that most likely isn't in most of your "training scenarios"-- a surprise attack, with a reverse grip. How many of you here know what the word "Pikal" means? Ed's attack would be a LOT less funny if you did. (For those of you who *do* know, I know Ed's attack is not pikal per se, but it made me think of it. I fear it.)

I know Ed has dished out his share of attitude, and I know sometimes his explanations are less articulate than some of you might like, but I have said before EVERY TIME SOMEONE SHARES SOMETHING HERE, IT IS A CHANCE FOR YOU TO LEARN. You may learn by accepting, or learn by critiquing, but you can learn.

I have noticed over the past few months that the loudest critics almost NEVER contribute any technical information. If your sole purpose here is to stroke your own ego by breaking down people you don't even know from hundreds of miles away, consider saving the bandwidth and going outside for some air and a dose of reality.

So what did most of you get out of this? A chance to make a few smart ass comments at someone else's expense. I haven't encountered this kind of "martial arrogance" in real life except from teenage tae kwon do black belts. I know that doesn't apply to most of you here, but the things you say are indistinguishable for the most part-- if it quacks like a duck, yadda yadda...

On the off chance you actually DO know it all, then save the smart ass comments and give us something technically sound that we can use. Open that massive knowledge base you built and share the secret ninja stuff you got from your neighbor's uncle who never had a son or daughter of his own to train...

--end rant--

Since sentry removal is not on the list of things I expect to have to accomplish, I looked at Ed's technique of the month from the standpoint of the defender. I thought the first cut, where the attacker grabs one arm and immediately brings the (as yet unseen) knife into play was something similar to what we might actually see "in the wild".

The follow up techniques and throw, while appropriate for the scenario for which they were devised, most likely wouldn't happen in the wild. I think the street thug attacker would most likely be content to just keep making holes in you until you fall down.

So, honestly, pretend you're walking down the street and someone takes your arm as shown in the picture, maybe not even that agressively. Can I borrow some change? Is that your car? Have you seen my kid, he's wearing a blue shirt and...

It doesn't matter what he says... he's grabbed your elbow to get your attention for something, and you are about to sprout a knife from your neck.

Will you even have time to flinch? Will you be concentrating on the hand he is holding you with? Are you going to punch the next five people who have the misfortune of touching your arm in public because you're paranoid now?

Next time you head to the dojo, slip a training knife into your gi, dobak, whatever... Don't advertise it, just hang on to it. Some time when things aren't going your way-- maybe sparring, practicing katas with a partner, hanging out at the water fountain...

ATTACK. STAB AND STAB AND STAB. Want to know what you are going to get in response? I bet I know. You will get a nervous laugh, a confused look, and a victim who will most likely stand there and take cut after cut-- he may turn away from you and cover his head...

Ask him, or her... do you really want to die with that stupid look on your face?

I'm not paranoid. I don't walk around wired all the time, looking behind every car and sizing up every person I pass on the street. But I also, based on my limited experience and the few tidbits of information I have managed to pound through my thick skull over the years, don't spend a lot of time bashing strangers. You just really never know who you are dealing with.

I have a hard time believing that all of you are as smart and battle hardened as you make yourselves out to be out here in the ether-- but I'm also smart enough (dumb as I am) to know better than to call you on it. If you can't afford each other respect on general principle, then maybe respect the unknown. But start respecting something, before the forum unravels at the seams...

Thanks for listening.

#95180 - 09/12/03 08:09 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
I agree with "themikey".

Knives are crap. Run. Only fight back if you are highly experienced and prepared to get cut. Or can acheive peace through superior firepower.

Infamous criminal and now comic and artist, mark Brandon "Chopper" Read, who spent half of his life in the Australian prison system, said that being shot and stabbed are both like being hit by very hard punches, except that stabbed is cold and shot is very hot.

#95181 - 09/12/03 08:30 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
Anonymous
Unregistered

The fool laughs and scoffs,the wiseman listens and questions.

I personaly do not know much about knife fighting(except pointy end bad), therefore I would not tear apart someone else's post on that topic.
I have noticed a general trend to automaticaly attack anything posted by a certain person/persons. These attacks are personel attacks and display very little logic or rational reasons of why the post is faulty. The attack is usualy something along the lines of,"you are an idiot" etc.,
This is usualy the resort of someone who has no facts, experience, or knowledge to rely on to refute a statement or post by someone else.
If you can in fact offer good, solid, rational arguments as to why something is wrong, please post it so the ignorant such as I can learn.
I know I have as much fun as anyone else taking shots at some people, but usualy not on technical details.

#95182 - 09/12/03 09:54 PM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
tapout12 Offline

CQB is exactly what it says "Close" and its obvious that if your dealing with a knife that is not where you want to be. You want to be far away may running away. Sayoc Kali will make you a believer in the power of the blade. I have been in law enforcment for may years and although I knew knives were dangerous I never had the respect for them that I now do after training in the Sayoc System. Mr. Glasheen clearly knows his material however from a law enforcment stand point I can honestly say I hope that some of my alternative school kids never see click on you link for the "Tech of the Month".

#95183 - 09/13/03 01:48 AM Re: Offensive Knife Technique
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
True while this is a cqb type of attack,504mikey hit a point. What would you do to defend yourself from this attack. Granted it is a suprise,but hey most knife hits I have witness are. So tell me what would you do to counter it.
Running away is not an option. I have grabbed you. You can change the attack to a grab and stab if you will like. Which is more common type of attack. Ed

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga