FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#94346 - 08/10/03 02:33 AM Escaping from a grab from behind
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like peoples opinions on how to deal with the following scenarios:

The first, a guy grabs you from behind round the waist and you have at least one arm free

The second, you are grabbed from behind in the same manner but both arms are trapped

The third as you are grabbed his forearm is across your throat and crushing it

The fourth as above but he also has a knife at your throat

In all cases you are unarmed, there is no accomplice to the attacker and there is no one else around to help you.
Sharon

#94347 - 08/10/03 09:42 AM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
It's difficult to fully explain counters on a limited medium such as a forum, but the following are a couple of basics --

Here are the first two scenarios:

1st scenario -

Option one - learn handfighting like it occurs in amateur wrestling. They deal with this exact scenario ALL THE TIME! They are the BEST at telling you how to deal with this situation.

What must happen in every situation like this is that you must lower your center of gravity when it first occurs (drop your hips/pelvis below that of your opponent's).

If your arms are free, work a figure four on his upper most arm and push it straight down. This will help to weaken his grip if not break it completely. From

From there, turn out (while still controlling his arm) and face your attacker. This will cause his arm to bend back painfully and simultaneously apply a shoulder dislocation if done with a fair amount of force (this is an old time catch-wrestling maneuver).

2nd scenario -

Lower your hips as in the 1st scenario. Reach down and grab one of his legs with both hands behind the heel of his foot. This will cause him to lose balance.

From there you can apply a knee-bar or simply get the hell outta there.

In both cases, you must sag your weight low making him have to carry "dead weight" and to use his back muscles instead of his legs.

In either case if you think that he's about to lift you off the ground, lace one of your feet around and behind one of his knees/calves. This will make it next to impossible to lift and carry you. Try it yourself and see the results.

It's difficult if not impossible to fully describe the exact counters here without benefit of pictures, etc. However, you can learn the defenses to these scenarios at any decent BJJ school.

One more word, don't rely on tactics such as groin attacks and headbutting to free you in these situations. The street smart attacker will be waiting for such things and won't give you that opportunity.

3rd scenario -

Any decent judo throw will work in this situation.

4th scenario -

Nice knowing you! Better have some money in your wallet. If not, can I have your stereo?

Train smart, not just hard!

-John

#94348 - 08/10/03 10:53 AM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks John,
What you describe in the first scenario is similar to what I have done before, with a slight modification. Because my training partner is a man who is much bigger than me, the only way I can get the armbar to work is if I bend the thumb on the uppermost arm into itself. If I don't, I can lossen his grip by dropping my weight in the way you describe but he can still resist me putting the arm bar on. My arm bars also need much practice.

Like the second one, although again I need to practice it more.

My judo throws suck so again, more practice.

Totally take your point about the groin strikes and headbutts not necessarily being enough.

Agree about giving up my wallet or whatever in the last case.
But what if he wants me to go somewhere with him. I am obviously not going to do that.
i accept that I have virtually NO CHANCE of escaping from this scenario unhurt, but how might I be able to at least escape alive?
Thanks again
Sharon

#94349 - 08/10/03 07:46 PM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Anytime Sharon! It's always good posting with you on the forum! It's obvious that you have your head on right and will always do well. Keep it up.

Wrestling and BJJ teach many good defenses to these scenarios as I have mentioned. It's worth even looking into some instructional video to supplement your training in these areas.

Take care!

-John

#94350 - 08/10/03 10:50 PM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the encouragement John.
Are there any videos you would particularly recommend?
Sharon

#94351 - 08/11/03 03:32 AM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Anything from Eric Paulson or Matt Thornton
www.ericpaulson.com Eric has a few videos on the market. If you're primarily interested in learning defenses to grappling, his "Best Defense" series is the way to go!
www.straightblastgym.com is Matt Thornton's site. I cannot say enough good things about what they're doing regards training. I may be somewhat biased as I am affilited with them however, I became affiliated for a reason. I would recommend his 1st series "Functional JKD" to anyone not familiar with this camp and it's philosophy.

-John

#94352 - 08/11/03 03:36 AM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cheers John, will check them out
Sharon

#94353 - 08/11/03 04:37 PM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
JKogas Offline
Prolific

My bad....it's http://www.erikpaulson.com

I'd misspelled his name. That link should work. I'd recommend ANYTHING by him.

-John

#94354 - 08/11/03 05:22 PM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
MAGon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Miami, Fl.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadowoman:
...Agree about giving up my wallet or whatever in the last case.
But what if he wants me to go somewhere with him. I am obviously not going to do that.
i accept that I have virtually NO CHANCE of escaping from this scenario unhurt, but how might I be able to at least escape alive?
Thanks again
Sharon
[/QUOTE]

Your last scenario is one of my personal nightmares, because I don't see much chance of anything working that won't get you at least cut in the throat area, not the best of outcomes. BTW, John, IMHO, good feedback!
I think the only real alternative is to feign compliance until circumstances change. Particularly in the case of a woman, where if the assailant wants her to go with him, it's because he's very probably interested in sexually assaulting her, he's bound to change his grip in order to achieve his ends (At the very least, he's going to let go to unzip his fly!). That may provide a MUCH better opening.

#94355 - 08/11/03 06:30 PM Re: Escaping from a grab from behind
madhag Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
yikes, the first few scenarios w/o the knife, i would go into a horse stance, or a stance of power that may also put my assailant off balance. With my legs free, scrape his shin and stomp his feet; inflict pain, scream, with my free hand, pinch the nerve on the inner thigh or grab his groin. find an opportunity to loosen, pound his floating ribs or solar plexus with my elbow, follow up with strikes and run like crazy and call the cops.
if he is grabbing me and pulling me backwards, i'd use the momemtum to push him faster and trip his leg, and land with elbow strikes, follow up with more strikes, etc....
With a knife it's complicated. i'd follow him until there is a window of opportunity to escape alive.
if i am grabbed by the throat, drop my head and twist to find a nook in his elbow to loosen my throat so i can breath. then follow with the techniques above.
just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga