FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#94151 - 07/22/03 12:32 PM Strangles and Chokes
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
So how do you defend against these?

I believe that this would be useful, not only for vunerable people being attacked (rape/murder), but also to give heavy handed "friends" or bouncers a surprise.

Any simple techniques?

Budo.

#94152 - 07/22/03 12:57 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
ChangLab Offline
Sleepy-ninja

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio
Some dont like it, but, I suggest a head butt
(backwards )in the case of a head lock from behind.
or
a series of elbow strikes to the ribs
combined with a downward kick to the shin or top of the feet.Maby a heel kick to the groin.
If the person is in front of you and has a choke hold on you with his hands
a upward strike with both hands at or around the elbows can break the hold then with your arms raised strike back down to the neck
or open handed strike to the face/nose.
if the person is off to the side of you and has a headlock on you , you can use elbows to the ribs as well as side or downward kicks to the shin/feet to get them to release.
Of course there are several methods to flip the person over your hip to disengage them
I would not reccommend trying to flip them over your head as you stand a chance of them holding on and suffering a neck injury.
thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

[This message has been edited by ChangLab (edited 07-22-2003).]

#94153 - 07/22/03 01:21 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
Sweeney Offline

Loc: New York, USA
A useful technique requiring some advance preparation is shown in the 1981 film "Outland," where Sean Connery plays the person being attacked.

An even better option, also requiring being prepared in advance, exists. A curved blade, preferably one with a serrated edge that locks open and can be opened with one hand (Spyderco makes one called the Harpy), is very useful for defending against forearm chokes from behind. You simply slip it into the gap between the crook of the attacker's elbow and your neck and cut downward through the tendons, nerves and blood vessels on the inside of the attacker's arm, which ends the choke hold virtually instantly and very likely permanently. Extremely effective, and quite justifiable considering that you are potentially being choked to death.

I've been in this situation (St. Croix, 1980). At the time, I had no knife or other armament, and was also simultaneoulsy being punched by a second attacker from the front. But the rear attacker made the mistake of letting go with one hand in order to smash a brick againt my head. The brick broke in half (Irish skull), they ran, and I chased for a while but had to abort the mission when they led me into greater danger on their home turf.

I suppose I should have just picked up the two halves of the brick and aimed for the back of the head of each. Like something out of a Crocodile Dundee movie. Live and learn.

#94154 - 07/22/03 01:50 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
xerxes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia, USA
First and foremost, tuck your chin down and maybe hunch your shoulders up. Are they using your clothing or is it naked? This makes a big difference(unlikely they are using clothing unless they have trained in a grappling art). The arms that are choking you are the things you need to work on first. If you are just punchng body and head and ignoring the choke you have a big problem.

Changlab, if choked from behind and you head butt backward you are just exposing neck further. Bad idea.

This can be hard to do but you might be able to peel a thumb or finger out, thereby breaking the choke(and, of course, you should then snap the digit in question).

If the adversary is using your clothing you may be able to yank the clothing out of his grasp. Get someone to try some lapel chokes while you are wearing your gi and see how this works. Then try it with regular clothing.

#94155 - 07/22/03 01:57 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
xerxes Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia, USA
I should have specified that you need to tuck the chin BEFORE the choke is fully set.

#94156 - 07/22/03 03:40 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
Sweeney Offline

Loc: New York, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by xerxes:
...you might be able to peel a thumb or finger out, thereby breaking the choke(and, of course, you should then snap the digit in question)[/QUOTE]

Or you could do a kotegaeshi maneuver on that hand if you have Aikido training...

#94157 - 07/22/03 04:37 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Head butts, knees, and (assuming it is a man) Grab em and squeeze. Sounds disgusting but a woman did it to me once and it was the most painfull thing ever. If its a simple head lock then hook the fingers in the nose or ear or try poking the eyes.

#94158 - 07/22/03 05:42 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Study a grappling art that utilizes such techniques to learn the proper counters. DO NOT rely on techniques whereby you attack the groin or "headbutt" -- you won't be successful against the experienced fighter. That will only get you "curbed" here in the US (more on that later). Learn to counter with "technical" maneuvers, then you have a better chance of turning the tables.

-John

#94159 - 07/22/03 08:05 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I apply a rear choke,I pull victim backwards-off balance.Head is tucked in close to theirs,no way to head butt.This also does not allow getting your feet under you,so you cannot get leverage. After choke is applied,you have 2 to 6 seconds before you pass out.
Best defense is not to let them get the choke.If they do,must have chin tucked before choke is applied.Turn in to elbow of arm they are choking with,they will still have head,but can't choke you.

#94160 - 07/22/03 08:41 PM Re: Strangles and Chokes
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
The easiest way not to get choked is not to allow yourself to get choked. Once the choke is in and tight...Night,Night. Breaking fingers, Kotegeshi ect is all for not. Get use to protecting your neck. Only practice will make this instinctive.

If you get chocked from the rear while standing, some people may go for the seionage throw. This may not work fro everyone. Instead move your hips out and allow yourself to get into a standing headlock. Now you can perform your headlock escape technique. Easy.Ed

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga