FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#93766 - 07/04/03 09:30 AM Stupid thing to do
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a VERY stupid thing yesterday.

I was driving along when some idiot cut me up at a roundabout and nearly hit me. I sounded my horn, more in fright than anger. At the next roundabout, he pulled in front of me, blocking my path and got out of his vehicle.

Obviously, as a lone woman, the sensible thing to do would have been to lock the doors and use the mobile phone to call for help. That is what I would usually advise.

Instead, I also got out of my vehicle and asked him what his problem was. Fortunately, it all turned out OK, but it just goes to show that no matter how much we train and discuss what we would do if...... we don't really know how we would react until we are in a situation.

I still can't believe I was so stupid, and my other half really told me off.
Sharon

#93767 - 07/04/03 11:13 AM Re: Stupid thing to do
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
What a buzz, makes you feel alive doesnt it.

You got out the car, which means you could deal with the situation better, not sitting strapped and trapped (oh err!) in a car, an easy target. Ok so maybe it could have escalated, but you were in more control out the car.
If he was already in ďred mistĒ, the fact that you thought he was impotent (I hate that word) because you had locked him out the car, could have sent him into melt down.
As a very skilled MA, I think that you would have levelled the playing field much easier out side your car.

The guys was acting on ďknee jerkĒ anger response, made worse by the fact he KNEW he was in the wrong, isnít pride a wonderful thing? NOT!!!

Road rage is terrible thing; I would never do such a thingÖ [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Glad you are ok Sharon,

Regards,

Mark

#93768 - 07/04/03 12:34 PM Re: Stupid thing to do
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Mark, luckily I didn't have to find out whether I am skilled enough to "level the playing field". He was right in my face as soon as I got out. He grabbed my arm, I told him to let go, which he did, and he walked off telling me to "watch it".
Phew!
Thanks again though.
Sharon

#93769 - 07/04/03 02:12 PM Re: Stupid thing to do
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
Glad your ok......... emotion is a bitch.

Alec

PS, IMO bloke is lucky you didn't break him in two. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#93770 - 07/04/03 02:31 PM Re: Stupid thing to do
Rand Offline

i guess i dont have the same control as you, if someone had done that to me and grabbed me i would have flattened him

#93771 - 07/04/03 03:39 PM Re: Stupid thing to do
Ed Glasheen Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newburgh,NY,USA
Next time run him over with your car!
Only kidding, what did you expect from me. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG] Ed

#93772 - 07/04/03 10:17 PM Re: Stupid thing to do
Anonymous
Unregistered

Reminds me of an incident from my wild misspent youth:

One day my friend and I had just come out of radio shack.We were in his scout II(a four wheel drive vehicle from the 70's)and pulled out of the parking lot.Now to do this he had to really gun it,there was road construction and heavy traffic.We are going down the road when we hear what sounds like an angry lawn mower chasing us,we look back and see a little orange vw beatle travelling at a high rate of speed(well,for a vw beatle anyway).We stop at a red light when the guy driving the beatle gets out,walks to the driver side and hits it with a baseball bat and begins to rant,something about gravel thrown on his car.My friend reaches under the seat and pulls "stubby" out("stubby" was a single shot, sawed off 12 ga. shotgun).The guy turned white,dropped the bat and stood there with his mouth open.My friend asks him in a very quiet voice,"Do you want to die?"
The light changed,we drove off.

Moral of story:Anger over bad driving or some imagined offense is not worth bleeding to death in a ditch by the roadside over.

#93773 - 07/05/03 12:33 AM Re: Stupid thing to do
York Karate Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
While I am glad you are well after this incident I must agree it was stupid.

I must disagree with Mark 100% you gave up control the minute you got out of the car. In the car you were safe and in a position to use your phone to call fort assistance as you stated. As well by stepping out of the car you escalated the situation and made a physical confrontation more likely.

I also disagree that you skilled MA background provided any justification for getting out of the car Ė what was this personís background? You have no idea they could be a skilled martial artists or street fighter, they could have had a weapon.

Chest pounding is all well and good but reality is important as well and you should never enter a situation you canít control, donít know all the variables (like the gun noted above) and donít have a clear advantage. Your brain is the best weapon you have and it needs to be used ahead of violence and confrontation.

For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom,
Nor for the uncontrolled is there power of concentration,
For him without concentration there is no peace,
And for the unpeaceful, how can there be happiness?

Bhagavad Gita

#93774 - 07/05/03 12:39 AM Re: Stupid thing to do
York Karate Offline

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
While I am glad you are well after this incident I must agree it was stupid.

I must disagree with Mark 100% you gave up control the minute you got out of the car. In the car you were safe and in a position to use your phone to call fort assistance as you stated. As well by stepping out of the car you escalated the situation and made a physical confrontation more likely.

I also disagree that you skilled MA background provided any justification for getting out of the car Ė what was this personís background? You have no idea they could be a skilled martial artists or street fighter, they could have had a weapon.

Chest pounding is all well and good but reality is important as well and you should never enter a situation you canít control, donít know all the variables (like the gun noted above) and donít have a clear advantage. Your brain is the best weapon you have and it needs to be used ahead of violence and confrontation.

For the uncontrolled there is no wisdom,
Nor for the uncontrolled is there power of concentration,For him without concentration there is no peace, And for the unpeaceful, how can there be happiness?

Bhagavad Gita

#93775 - 07/05/03 01:49 AM Re: Stupid thing to do
suzie Offline

I have heard it said the best way to get away with murder is to get behind the wheel of a car- so perhaps driving straight at the twat would have sorted the issue.

I see what Mark is saying, sure outside a car you can throw your arms and legs about, and probably in the same position I would have been so boiling with Anger and indignation I'd have done the same, and been sat at home (hopefully) wishing I'd lumped the bloke, which would be the best circumstance - i.e. not having been hurt or having committed any offense.

However, I don't think that is the most sensible course of action... glad you are ok.
Incidentally - do you keep a maglite in your car? Or a fire extinguisher? very necessary motoring accessories for the female driver.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga