FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Recent Posts
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432477 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#92812 - 04/10/03 06:34 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
on the subject of mag lites:-

when I was a police officer, we were often paired up with royal military police (RMP)

On night a load of us were sent to a rave, to break it up. The RMP and me were stationed in a dark field at a road junction, WTF we were supposed to do I have no idea!
Any way a large group of punters walked up to us and we told them that the rave was off and they would be best to go back home etc.

They moved away into the field, and after a short while the stones and bottles came whizzing out way.

It was very dark and I could not see S*it, so I got my torch ready and said to the RMP (who had a 4 D cell maglite at his waist), “right mate lets walk towards them shining the torches into their faces…he looked sheepish and said “ no, it aint for shinning at things, its full of concrete for hitting them with” And it was!!!!

Mark

#92813 - 04/12/03 01:57 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

My policeman student brought a copy of the legislation to the dojo today and kubotan are actually listed and described in the proscribed weapons section of the Prevention Of Crime Act 1953. Most police officers in the UK would recognise them as Mr V said (not that I thought he was wrong, just verifying for those of you that had a glimmer of doubt). The penalty for carrying such a proscribed item as a kubotan is "four years imprisonment and/or a fine" according to the Police National Legal Database, last modified on 20/03/2003.
As there were so many UK instructors so misinformed (I have been told contrary to the above by two senior sensei), I predict a maglight famine in the UK shortly.
Sharon

#92814 - 04/12/03 04:11 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
Oldwolf Offline

Loc: Scotland
Just a quick at on to this:

As you many have sussed its the trade name kubotan that is named so alternatives may be carried at your own risk, the more innocous the better. If it went to court it would have to be proved that the item was intended for offensive use.
Also don't ask a policeman, as pointed out many don't know what you are talking about and secondly, the police enforce the law not interpret it.
so I rest my case, its still better to be tried by twelve than carried by six, but I'm no lawyer.

#92815 - 04/14/03 02:39 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Ok lets be realistic. This is less a question of law and more one of practicality. It is certainly the case that if you carry another item to use as a kubotan
the the prosecution may have a hard time proving that you were carrying it for the purposes of using it as a weapon. However that, (and this is surely the point) is not the important issue. The important issue is that if you are carrying it in a public place then you are surely going to use it (or why bother carrying it). Therefore let us accept that in the right circumstances, you do use your kubotan alternative. Now we have a situation where you have used an item to cause pain /injury/ compliance. This was an item that you had on you at the time. It is IMO going to be much easier for the prosecution to show that the item was one that must fall under the Offensive Weapon legislation - you had it on you and you used it in a knowlegeable manner (assuming you did) to cause pain/injury/compliance. If they succeed in this then the burden is back on you to show reasonable excuse. Could you? I doubt it in most cases.

Regds
Mr V

#92816 - 04/14/03 07:41 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
A pen cannot be used for similar strikes, but can be used on its own to increase pressure and penetration as well as nerve point control or strikes.

A good solid fountain pen will do.

It's a pity other people are "carrying" and you cannot, legally.

#92817 - 04/14/03 07:42 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Err, a pen CAN be used...

#92818 - 04/15/03 05:21 AM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, if I was attacked and "just happened to have a sturdy pen on my person", which I then used as a weapon in the sme manner as a kubotan, could I use the defence that I was in fear of my life and just grabbed the first thing that came to hand? Or would the pen count as carrying a weapon? I was under the impression that this would come under "reasonable force" as long as I truly perceived that I was in grave danger.
Sharon

#92819 - 04/15/03 07:04 AM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
It all really depends on the nature of the substitute. All items that are not specificaly proscribed are open to interpretation. Obviously a baseball bat with nails in is going to be difficult to justify. If you are carrying an cylindrical steel rod in your back pocket and use it as a kubotan, then this is more likely to be viewed as an offensive weapon than say a pen. In any case regardless of any item being viewed as an offensive weapon, the issue still returns to that of lawful authority or reasonable excuse. Remember the issue here is possession of an offensive weapon in a public place, not its use (yet). It would in my opinion be very difficult to firstly prove that you carried a fountain pen with the intention of using it as an offensive weapon and secondly to disprove an assertion that you had reasonable excuse for carrying a fountain pen. Even if you used it, it would be difficult to dispute an assertion that you just "grabbed the first thing to hand". However if "the first thing that came to hand" was a thick steel rod in your back pocket, more difficult queestions may be put as to why you had it in your back pocket in the first place and the "convenience" of it being to hand just when you needed it. I hope i have explained the distinction adequately.
On the issue of reasonable force, it must be rememered that the two issues are seperate. Reasonable force may well be a valid defence to an allegation that you picked up a knife dropped by one attacker and cut another attacker who had tried to stab you with a broken bottle. Here you have used an offensive weapon in circumstances that could be said to be reasonable. The distinction is pulling a machete out of your trousers and cutting the bottle wielder. Again you may well have acted in self defence, all well and good. However this would probably not assist you in a seperate charge under the Offensive Weapons legislation. In your example Wadowoman,the distinction to the above is that you used a mundane every day item ie: a pen. I would IMO be hard to prove that you intended to use it as an offensive weapon. When you DO use it as an offensive weapon it would not IMO be hard to show that you had reasonable excuse for carrying it ie: you needed to write with it and it just happened to be to hand when you were attacked.
Obviously this isn't the place for legal advice to be given so the above post(s) on this subject have to be taken as simply my personal opinion.

Regds
Mr V

#92820 - 04/15/03 09:48 PM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
For sale: 6" solid steel ball point pens, with built in key ring. hehehe.
Kuli-tan.

#92821 - 04/16/03 10:45 AM Re: Kubaton/Ya Wara Bo and law in UK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Mr V. I am on the lookout for a sturdy pen as I wish to be preapred in case I need to write everytime I step outside the front door. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Sharon

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga