FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92457 - 03/01/03 08:28 AM Kicks
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
What about defense against everyday standing kicks?

Any ideas on effective defense tips?

Budo.

#92458 - 03/01/03 07:03 PM Re: Kicks
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
Using tai sbaki, well placed turning, front or groin kicks can make the attacker's leg fairly inoperable.

People bag the Shotokan method of blocking front kicks with the lower block. I have a version which works.

Using the ulna, whilst guarding, strike the rat point on the instep. Gently keep the leg caught but flicking the hand towards you. "Block" with the blocking hand using the chicken hand strike on the same spot. As you do this, a aiki like throw can be done by stepping foward and pushing in on the throat as you take the balance from their legs and keep hold of the leg, ala trad. karate guard position.

The first two moves of Taikyoku Shodan never looked the same.

I suppose a side/turning kick might be countered by stepping to the outside, defelcting/controlling he leg, and in one smooth motion, pushing it far enoungh as they lose balance, finsh them, or simply kicking their standing knee as you move in. Moving to the inside asks for something like a hip throw or moving in on their legs and taking their balance away.

The point behind the calves, achillesor rat point, (struck upwards) are all good for the first weakening shot.

Any intial shots against a turning kick will be harder to make if you wish to follow up with a takedown, as the balance and disancing is different.

Then there is all the stuff from katas, where someone not reached ShoDan has an invariable arsenal available to them.

#92459 - 03/01/03 11:57 PM Re: Kicks
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Jam and counterpunch. ANY strike has a sweet spot, where the speed, leverage, striking surface, etc. is perfect. The power of a strike drops off dramatically outside of this spot. To avoid the full force of the attack, you can either move into the kick (jamming it before it gets up to speed), or move away (taking the kick after it's power is spent. If you jam it, you are in a perfect position to counterstrike, as the opponent is standing on one leg!
If you move away on a turning kick, you can try to scoop under the leg and turn it into a takedown.
If your opponent plants his kicking leg heavily after a kick, time him, and smash his knee right as he drops his weight on it.

#92460 - 03/11/03 04:53 PM Re: Kicks
judderman Offline
Veteran

A very simple version I've seen is to block a front kick (mae-geri style), by raising your own foot and block the attackers ankle or foot. Not exactly destructive, but simplistic and effective.

Any other thoughts??

When you say trap, what do you mean? How do you mean?

Budo.

#92461 - 03/11/03 05:36 PM Re: Kicks
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Hmmm I think a number of the methods suggested though potentialy effective and suitable for dojo practice would be a touch too flowery for street application. Assuming a relatively low level of skill on the part of the attacker (and assuming we are standing upright), the most likely kick is going to be a "soccer style" roundhouse kick to the legs, or the straight swinging "hob" aimed at anything from ones knee to ones groin. In a real live sitation I would personaly go for jamming with my own lead leg / shin before following in all guns blazing or probably take the impact of the kick on the side of the arm / side of leg - and preferably introduce something nasty like my elbow. If it works, it all good. Quite often though what will probably happen is that I get kicked in the leg, think "ouch" and then metaphoricaly kick seven shades of sh*t out of whoever did it on the counter [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

Regds
Mr V

#92462 - 03/11/03 10:03 PM Re: Kicks
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

It's amazing how many high kicks leave the crotch wide open to an enterprising knee.
If it's a straight kick, or really sloppy, just sidestep and counterpunch to the head/ribs.

#92463 - 03/11/03 11:54 PM Re: Kicks
senseilou Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Glendale, Az.
move your body, and tackle the leg he is standing on, like a barrel baseball roll at second base-take his planted leg with you. I know what I will hear about this, but it is an option and will do some serious damge to the planted knee. This takes timing and practice. But if you want a standard answer, shin block the kick to the side and follow with a kick off the blocking leg. A fovorite of Motobu. Fusei Kise likes a toe kick to the inner thigh of the planted leg after shin blocking the kick. If the kick is higher than waist-try an elbow block then counter kick.

#92464 - 03/17/03 06:11 PM Re: Kicks
judderman Offline
Veteran

Sorry Lou, could you explain what a barrel baseball roll at second base is please?

I like the elbow block.

I suppose the difficulty with some of these is allowing the kick to come close to you, thus allowing you to make full use of its extention and vunerability.

I get nervous when people show me things which mean coming to meet the kick. If you get the timing wrong, you get a face full.

I have used the Shotokan versions to good effect and variation. (and on a quick aside Joe ~ what is a rat point?).
Moving inside the kick then using the downward block to hook it whilst using the forward motion to assist in a nice head strike.

Even using the block to push the leg away, so the attackers back faces you, is disorientating, although limits effective counters. That said a good hard shove does wonders.

Just a random thought (which no doubt I will regret later). Given the legs are longer than arms, would just trapping the foot, then using the extended leg as lever work?

Budo.

#92465 - 03/17/03 09:01 PM Re: Kicks
joesixpack Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Australia
The rat point is on the instep area, between the shin bone and muscle, about 4 - 5 inches from the bottom of your foot. The area contains a lot of connective tissue. I don't know the St, Co, Gb names, I just referred to a shichen chart. I just know it's there and it hurts a little bit more than hitting the surrounding bone or muscle.

#92466 - 03/17/03 10:17 PM Re: Kicks
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Judderman, if you get behind the guy, throwing a double palm strike to both kidneys plays HUGE dividends.
As far as using the leg for leverage, there is the fancy TKD technique in which, when your leg is grabbed, you jump up and kick to the face with the other, thus falling down yourself. Doubt if this has EVER been done on the street. If you do get the leg, try a treetop. You just grab the ankle with both hands and throw it as high in the air as you can. Study catch as catch can wrestling, as this is a common position to get into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga