FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92385 - 04/23/05 07:06 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the wing chun student has to fight using "boxing rules" , ie gloves, no kicking, grabbing, etc. he's gonna get his butt handed to him. Wing Chun has great hand techniques, but boxers train exclusively with their hands, unless you count Tyson's biting as a technique [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG].

The WC guy would have to have his hands free, no gloves, in order to effectively incorporate sticky hand principles. Plus, if he just continually kicked the crap out of the boxer's knees, that might tip the odds in his favor too.

#92386 - 04/23/05 07:35 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

sticking hands. you don't use sticking hands in wing chun when your fighting that's just to get you used to following someone else's movements

#92387 - 04/25/05 12:17 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is off the subject but, for those of you in any of these forums Im sorry about the spelling of my name I must have been trying to fast and didnt check my spelling of my name. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] is there any way to correct it?

#92388 - 04/26/05 04:51 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UofM Shorin Ryu:
If the wing chun student has to fight using "boxing rules" , ie gloves, no kicking, grabbing, etc. he's gonna get his butt handed to him.[/QUOTE]

Have you done wing chun. Even in the straight blast, gloves are cumbersome.
To say that a WC guy would get his but handed to him fighting boxing by a boxer is the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my entire life. It should probably go in that other thread by Jkogas about stupid people.
I play tennis, you dont play tennis.
If you play tennis with me I will whip you!
REALLY???? bloody genius!

#92389 - 04/26/05 09:59 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is obviously a sticky subject every system has strengths and weakness. Having any play to the others strength would weaken it. And the systems really don't need defending.

Adding boxing or Wing Chun or both to your aresnal would only help you just like adding Judo or Aikido or anything thats would widen your horizon. By understanding how an Art works and its techniques will help you defend and mount an offensive against.

There are no superior Styles only superior Practictioners. Its Dedication that counts not uniforms or boxing trunks.

Personally I like people thinking, Oh, he is this style or from this system, he can't or won't do this or that. I won't argue or explain I just wait. Because Surprises!!!

Of course this is sparring or rolling. Because in the street it doesn't matter what style or what Rank or Who U are, it matters if it works, right now!!

[This message has been edited by Neko456 (edited 04-26-2005).]

#92390 - 04/26/05 11:01 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGr:
Have you done wing chun. Even in the straight blast, gloves are cumbersome.
To say that a WC guy would get his but handed to him fighting boxing by a boxer is the most stupid thing I have ever heard in my entire life. It should probably go in that other thread by Jkogas about stupid people.
I play tennis, you dont play tennis.
If you play tennis with me I will whip you!
REALLY???? bloody genius!

[/QUOTE]

WOW. You woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. So get back in, take a nap, and exit on the RIGHT side. Yes, it is a blatantly obvious comment, but what isn't obvious is what the fight entails. No holds barred? Gloves? Ring? Shirts? Weapons? What are the rules of the fight? Those will all make a difference as to the outcome.

I really do appreciate your smart ass comment though, shows me how much character and grace you have. Do you treat everyone this way, or are you only a jackass on internet forums?

And yes, I have done Wing Chun.

As a sidenote, shouldn't this thread be closed anyways? It's one of those VS threads that no one can really answer anyways. It's the practicioner, not the art!

[This message has been edited by UofM Shorin Ryu (edited 04-26-2005).]

#92391 - 04/26/05 11:07 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UofM Shorin Ryu:
. No holds barred? Gloves? Ring? Shirts? Weapons? What are the rules of the fight? Those will all make a difference as to the outcome.
[/QUOTE]

I m sorry if i misunderstood, but you said in a ring with gloves and boxers rules. Isnt that what you said?
You didnt give a free scenario. You specifically said boxers rules!
In that scenario, your point is moot.
It just doesnt hold!

And if you have done wing chun, then you know that you cant do the chain punches with boxers gloves, they are just to big!

#92392 - 04/26/05 11:39 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGr:

And if you have done wing chun, then you know that you cant do the chain punches with boxers gloves, they are just to big!

[/QUOTE]

THAT was my point. If the WC guy has to wear boxing gloves, his ability to fight will be severly hampered. If the WC guy is not allowed to kick, his ability to fight will be hampered. If he's not allowed to grab..etc.

But if he is allowed to kick, grab, eye poke, groin shots, no gloves, whatever, he will be able to use what he learned more effectively.

It depends if this fight is designed to use street fight concepts, where anything goes, or if there will be rules with a ref to watch.

But in the end it doesn't even matter, because it is skills and strengths of the practicioner, not the art that will determine the winner.

For someone who posts as much as you do, you should know that personal attacks aren't allowed on this forum. Check your attitude at the door if you want to have an intelligent conversation.

[This message has been edited by UofM Shorin Ryu (edited 04-26-2005).]

#92393 - 04/26/05 11:51 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dont be so touchy.
Ok, what you say is true, but what is your point?

We are talking about self defence, not tournaments were a WC guy enters a boxing competition.
In self defence the WC has more options, and therefore is practicing a defending style that is conceptualy superior.
You admitted that. So what is your point?

That in a boxing match a boxer would win?
We know that.
That you have something to gain from studying boxing?
I agree if that is what you were trying to say.

#92394 - 04/26/05 12:22 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Fine, a self-defense situation. Who would win, in an anything goes fight on the streets, a WC practicioner, or a boxer.

The answer: The one who is better at what he does.

I disagree with the comment that WC is better for sd than boxing conceptually, as stated many times before by various individuals on different threads, it is the artist, not the art.

To compare 2 legit arts in their abilities to teach SD is like apples and oranges, both are good.

Wc and boxing would each add some techniques to your sd game, and at the same time, both have weaknesses.

Hasn't this thread been locked yet? It's a VS thread for pete's sakes!

On a more interesting topic, Superman vs Ultraman, who would win?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga