FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92375 - 04/22/05 06:54 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MAGr:

I said in my opinion!!
[/QUOTE]

My apologies. It has often been my experience that MA underestimate the skills and abilities that boxing can invest in an individual and as such it is a 'pet' hate of mine. My background is in karate and boxing, and I would respectfully suggest that you revise your opinion. Go train with some boxers if you ever have the opportunity. You may well enjoy/ profit from the experience.

Alec

#92376 - 04/22/05 07:16 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rougewarrior:
HHe is a great and funny man that has many years of being a ROUGE WARRIOR meaning that he goes by his own rules and gets the job done. [/QUOTE]

Sounds like a rogue to me

#92377 - 04/22/05 10:02 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
Maybe he is embarassed, hence Rouge(red)warrior.
Or all the navy seal stuff causes him to be sunburned.

I believe boxers, due to the nature of their training, are very dangerous people to fight.

#92378 - 04/22/05 10:20 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
In theory the Wing Chun practitioner should win because he has more options. However, that isnt going to be the case. The boxers training is going to be more combative in nature and he is going to have more specialized weapons because, while he only uses a few techniques, he has had the time to go over those few techniques a tremendous amount of time and not just a little here and little there because he had five other techniques to practice that week.

As for reference, my wing chun was in the William Cheung Lineage.

#92379 - 04/23/05 04:39 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

No offense Chen, but it doesn't matter what lineage you studied under if the concepts are missing. You sound like a clever guy, which is why you aren't here defending to-the-death the style you were taught which you feel clearly has some major flaws that you have highlighted. Maybe Cheung is very good himself but not the best of teachers?

Wing Chun shouldn't be about learning techniques, but of highlighting concepts via a technique drill. You can never plan to apply a technique in a fight and so you can only use the training to teach yourself about what concepts you become aware of. Otherwise the "techniques" become nothing more than a different style of kata, some practised routine that you are meant to squeeze into a fight somehow

#92380 - 04/23/05 05:06 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't get off topic by bashing kata. Something you clearly haven't taken the time to understand.

#92381 - 04/23/05 08:10 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Itís amazing to see so many people knock boxing who have probably never once even stepped into the ring. Boxing should first be viewed as a delivery system. The problem that so many typical martial artists have is that they confuse the ring sport with the delivery system.

If a person bases what they do upon the delivery system of western boxing, adding IN all of the foul tactics, knees and elbows, etc., then it becomes a very formidable method of physical combat.

Boxing isnít complete by any means. At least they DO spar and at times, spar to knock out Ė which is more than I can say for many wing chun camps, where sparring is often a neglected practice.

Ultimately, itís about what the individual can do. That said, I think itís common sense here that the individual who prepares more athletically, will have a clear advantage over the person who doesnít. Looking at the ďtypicalĒ boxing gym versus the typical wing chun school, it becomes pretty clear which camp has the more athletic method. Of course, there are always exceptions.

-John

#92382 - 04/23/05 10:15 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not bashing kata.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JKogas:
That said, I think itís common sense here that the individual who prepares more athletically, will have a clear advantage over the person who doesnít. Looking at the ďtypicalĒ boxing gym versus the typical wing chun school, it becomes pretty clear which camp has the more athletic method.[/QUOTE]

Even though being athletic is of benefit to fighting (and anyone practicing Wing Chun to any real degree will do a lot of athletic training), a real fight isn't going to last multiple rounds or use gloves.

I also don't think that "Wing Chun" and "Boxing" can be seen as separate "camps" at all. Some of the concepts in Wing Chun are used in boxing aswell, your apparent contempt from Wing Chun means that you are making many false and ignorant generalisations about it, in a similar way to the people you are criticising for their negative attitude towards boxing skills. Hypocrisy is not the best way to communicate your views

As with any approach to fighting, there will be many people out there teaching BS under the banner of "boxing", "wing chun", "jeet kune do", "karate" etc. That is no reason to view all "boxing", "wing chun" etc as rubbish as a consequence

#92383 - 04/23/05 03:10 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Even though being athletic is of benefit to fighting (and anyone practicing Wing Chun to any real degree will do a lot of athletic training), a real fight isn't going to last multiple rounds or use gloves.

If you think real fights only last a few seconds you're only half right [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#92384 - 04/23/05 03:28 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

i think that it's hard to say. it really depends on the people and their own understanding of fighting. boxing is very instinctive and that's good, but wing chun is very strategic and about speed. i think that if you fuse boxings mobility and instinctive nature with wing chun's movements it becomes very much like jkd and creates a adaptive, instinctive, strategic nature which would be a most effective way of fighting.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga