FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92355 - 08/01/04 12:56 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

guys!

i think your forgeting the eye strikes/ear rips/breaks,knees arms & grapplesetc, a wing chun student ould have at his disposal. in a ring these sorts of moves are banned, but wt is still a true fighting art. in boxing footwork and the upper cut are its most favourable attributes (footwork more fluent than wt). in a real life situation(on the street a wing chung guy should win).
wing chung anything goes boxing is just punches.

pompey

#92356 - 08/01/04 03:56 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Wing Chun is definately a fighting art and very effective if trained correctly. The original poster, Crimson Tiger asked how to defeat WC so as a ex practitioner I will tell you. WC philosophy is to never step backwards,always go forward or stand your ground. Because of this they utilize a very rigid fighting stance. Attack his legs. Also attack at angles. Dont try to overtake the centerline as this is his territory and he will beat you at it. Attack his mobility as he has little anyways, attack his balance with forward momentum, make him move back, he isnt accustomed to it. Move him back attacking his legs, as he makes the step back, step to an angle and attack hard with forward momentum and keep going. He will fall.

[This message has been edited by Chen Zen (edited 08-22-2004).]

#92357 - 08/08/04 11:30 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Crimson Tiger
I utilize a lot or trapping and boxing drills in my training and sparring, and have found them very usefull as suplementary skills. Someone mentioned that all styles overlap but with different emphasis. I completely agree. It sounds as if you are in a Japanese/Okinawan style. The pulling motion of the rear hand is basically the same as lop sao from wing chun. Nai han chi is basically all trapping and low line kicking. Makes sense seeing as it's roots lie in China...

#92358 - 08/08/04 11:41 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

As for strategy, I have noticed that the style of wing chun does not seem to have much promise in footwork. I believe other styles to have much better developed footwork patterns and drills. You have stated that your partner ties you up a lot on the in range; Wing Chun is more of a defensive emphasis, so don't let him defend. Trapping is easier to see and counter when A. he doesn't make contact with you. B. the Wing Chun guy makes the moves. Why do you think that Bruce Lee sought insight else where besides his traditional Wing Chun training? He was never shown the proper footwork, so he sought it else where. Good question.

#92359 - 08/16/04 08:00 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

Two main techniques you need to employ, both are similar.
1. The WC principle of 'one hand out, one hand back'. Never throw a left-right combination to a WC guy, he'll catch the left and trap it with the right, then you're stuffed. Jab-jab-hook type combinations will work for you better.
2. Guerrilla footwork. The classic ring work jump in, punch combo, jump out. WC will trap the legs at every opportunity. If you're not in close for long enough, you can't be trapped.

Stay mobile; don't get into a trading blows situation, because you'll end up trapped. Always withdraw your punches. From there it's down to speed & skill, you should be equal on strategy.

#92360 - 09/09/04 05:05 AM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a boxer who wants to be a WC person it can be very complicated. Im going to be focusing on the punching side not the kicking.

Never take directly infront of him because of the center line theory, he will beat you good. Never throw hooks or a one-two combination but what you should do is constantly fight him:
-On angles, fight him at the wierdest angles and keep changing angles every 3 or less seconds.
-You have to move in and camp there. You will have the advantages if you if your right into his face, they are not trained to move backwards so keep that in mind.
-Once camped, start throwing uppercuts (Also, a good old stomping on the foot wont hurt you)

#92361 - 04/21/05 05:15 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

To all of you. If you train in many different styles then you can be an unstoppible force. Just look at one of the greatest MMA fighters that is now retired Bas Rutten. He has utilized many different styles and has made the best of them to work for him. I Have personal trained in wing chun under one of Ip ching's sucessors for 5 years. The art (wing chun) has so many great and wonderful principles that are also implemented in so many other styles not just WC. What Advice that im trying to give you here is this and its something that my teacher gave me many years ago. "It is not the style that is great but the person who studies the art." And as far as those in here that are saying "wing chun sucks!" Or "Boxing sucks!" You are all very 1 sided and really have no idea what you are talking about. You are just going with what you know and its not a bad thing its just an uneducated thing.

#92362 - 04/21/05 06:34 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

JKogas,
A boxer against a WC guy (who has been trained prperly) does not stand a chance.
In my opinion a boxer does not stand a chance with most MA, because boxing is limited.
I would take out his knees before he even got close enough to throw a hook. Lets say i didnt use legs, then jabs go to the centre line which the WC guy will dominate, and hooks leave your centre line open for the WC to just pummel you.
The weakpoint in WC is probably ground techniques. In H2H combat WC is not the best, because it is the artist not the art, but its principles are solid.
I have seen you throw attacks against WC very often. All your posts excluding WC have been very informative.
Whats with the WC bias.
You might have met a load of WC fakes, but that does not mean that you can judge an art form that is old, proved to be effective, chosen by shaolin monks for practical defence above all other styles of kung fu, and that you have never practiced.

#92363 - 04/21/05 07:40 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
Anonymous
Unregistered

MAGr,
Do you realize that JKogas will have to now defend something he said over 2yrs ago?

JKogas
Moderator posted 02-24-2003 05:08 PM

#92364 - 04/21/05 08:08 PM Re: Boxing vs. Wing Chun
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
I think John is up to it, if he even bothers.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga