FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#92306 - 08/03/03 10:08 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
missouriman2 Offline

Loc: waynesville, missouri
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bitfreak:
I've never faced a 'chuck wielding momo as an opponent, but I suppose I could imagine a few things to consider.

Leave if at all possible.

Escalation is always bad idea (he has chucks, you get a 6 shooter, he breaks out shotgun, you lauch a nuke, ad nauseum). However, if you're wearing a belt you might be able to use that in some way to give you some range and to interfere witht he swinging chucks enough to get inside. I doubt you'll do any damage, but that isn't the point; it would be a means to an end.

Pick up a handful of dirt or gravel if possible and keep in your hand. It may be useful in your immediate future. I shouldn't need to explain that.

If you cannot get away, and must face the opponent unarmed, then you must work to minimize the advantage he has; I see that as primarily range; he can hit you but you can't hit him. If you can move quickly enough and use angling to your advantage, you should be able to get inside; if you can, grappling would be the next thing to move into. If he is stupid enough to still have his hands on the flails, you now have the advantage. (one caveat; if he is an exceptional fighter, he will likely improvise and use the sticks in a sort of escrima fashion to reduce the range and fight very close in, and my previous comment is void).

If you do take a blow, try to spread the impact out; in other words, don't let the entire force of the blow focus on one point like the edge of your forearm or the tip of your noggin'. Use physics to your advantage; also be aware of large muscle groups that might be disabled temporarily by a hard impact like your lower back, thights, deltoids, etc.

Also, try to "slip" any impact, in boxing fashion.

I've always thought 'Chucks were flashy and scary looking. I've never actually seen someone spar or be a real fight with them. I would imagine two skilled users going toe to toe would be a short, fast, and furious fight.

That's my $.02.

Bitfreak
[/QUOTE]

Someone mis informed you , yes alot of people claiming to do the chucks , and can wield them pretty good probably hasnt actually hit anyone, but some one thats already good will realize what to do with the different recoil pretty quick, and most have used what i trained with , the rubba chucks, skinney pvc pipe chucks with foam rubber arround them for sparring, what fun! As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them, as here in MO we must keep them out of site , some states requre you to keep them visable like on dash or top of seat.they ARE illeagle to use, so if a trained artist with chucks decides to pull them on you...you need to run, since he means buisiness in the first place, or he wouldnt pull them, i carry sometimes, although you would not be able to see them at all.VERY concielable tools!Be Safe

#92307 - 08/03/03 10:19 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
missouriman2 Offline

Loc: waynesville, missouri
[QUOTE]Originally posted by missouriman2:

Someone mis informed you , yes alot of people claiming to do the chucks , and can wield them pretty good probably hasnt actually hit anyone, but some one thats already good will realize what to do with the different recoil pretty quick, and most have used what i trained with , the rubba chucks, skinney pvc pipe chucks with foam rubber arround them for sparring, what fun! As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them, as here in MO we must keep them out of site , some states requre you to keep them visable like on dash or top of seat.they ARE illeagle to use, so if a trained artist with chucks decides to pull them on you...you need to run, since he means buisiness in the first place, or he wouldnt pull them, i carry sometimes, although you would not be able to see them at all.VERY concielable tools!Be Safe
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, just one more small point for all who are really interested ...even if a trained wielder of nunchukas gets only onestrike on you ,...it IS a 99 % chance he will hit what he wants to, and if it is your arm...IT IS NOW BROKEN..if it is your head..NO Doctor can put you back together again,remember if he is a real praCTITIONER OF THE ART, HE MEANS BUISINESS if he has pulled them, and its leathal buisiness he means, and it will be defensive only.

#92308 - 08/03/03 10:30 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
Sweeney Offline

Loc: New York, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by missouriman2:

...As to chucks being illiegal, nope they are not, although they differ state to state how to transport them...
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Joe, but nunchaku are illegal to possess even in your home if you live in New York or California. But I've taken up the battle. See my web page on the subject:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvs.html

Jim

#92309 - 08/04/03 10:13 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
Sweeney Offline

Loc: New York, USA
...and for a direct link to the text of the federal complaint, which provides a lot more detail:
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/nunchakucomp.html

(I've added a few hypertext links and a snazzy background that obviously was not included in the court papers...)

--Sweeney

#92310 - 08/26/03 08:36 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
HeadlessHorseman Offline

Loc: Sleepy Hollow, NY, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jamoni:
I think what they meant was: Guns are highly complex devices which are expensive to manufacture, unlike sticks and knives, so the more expensive a weapon is, the more legitimate it's use, because the more money someone has, the more legitimate they are. Especially if the powers that be want guns themselves.[/QUOTE]

The "powers that be" want guns because we know they are the most effective and because we have property and families to protect. That doesn't make guns "bad." Nunchucks have long been associated with the underclass, starting in Okinawa and riught here in present-day America. That doesn't make them "bad" either but the fcat that they can so easily and cheaply be made is why legislatures in some states make them illegal. Which brings me to...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sweeney:
Sorry, Joe, but nunchaku are illegal to possess even in your home if you live in New York or California. But I've taken up the battle. See my web page on the subject: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/mvs.html

Jim
[/QUOTE]

Sweeney, you appear to be a classic example of the Don Quixote type. Why bother fighting for your right to own a second-rate weapon? Get a pistol permit instead.

And to stay with the thread: yeah, there's a defense aginat nunchaka as many of you have pointed out: shoot the M*****F****R!

#92311 - 09/11/03 01:55 AM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
Spencerx2k Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska, USA
This might be totally wrong, but why not toss a meteor hammer, or a chinese rope javelin...

not like everyone carries these, but hey, they would probably work [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

#92312 - 09/15/03 12:39 AM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
eL Duce Offline

Loc: Philippines
just wrap an inch thick of clothing (maybe a towel or your shirt)to your arm, then use it as your shield.. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#92313 - 09/18/03 02:57 AM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
The only hope you have is good evasive skills. Sidestep to the forty five then launch an attack on their centerline to destroy there structure and balance. Hope for a wide swing, use the sidestep, then attack. If the swing is wide you can stop it before it comes back leaving the opponent easily open.

#92314 - 09/22/03 02:31 AM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
BaiginLong Offline

mmmmmm rope javelin
yummy

hehehe

but yeah
i agree with many of the posts on defense against nunchacku but I guess I could still add something

I don't work with nunchacku much but I've noticed that the defence of nunchaku against attacks to their legs is usually (not always) lacking. But otherwise you're pretty much in big trouble against a nunchacku user.

errr hmmm I dabble a bit in capoeira and I think that its attack patterns are quite effective against blunt weapons (incuding nunchacku) but then I haven't heard about too many capoeira users in this forum so I guess I'll have to speak up for that end

problem is speaking in their terms may be a take a good deal of the other people here for a spin since it's a completely different animal from that of oriental arts and also since I only dabble in it

sooo
I guess the best way to put it is that the motion of a capoeira user's attacks provide about the same amount of force and unpredictability that those of nunchacku in the hands of their wielders
many times they use the same flail physics and thus inertia is on both their sides so in this sense capoeira can be the equalizer that you seek if you don't have an immediately available weapon

if you look at Eddie Gordo/Christie Monteiro from the Tekken fightin game series they aren't too far off from the actual thing but they still exggagerate quite a bit (though they have gotten better about making it more realistic lately)

at the very least they got the basic step pattern correct
but otherwise I'm not going to list my complaints against Namco here heh [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

[This message has been edited by BaiginLong (edited 09-22-2003).]

#92315 - 09/23/03 07:15 PM Re: Nunchuka is there a defence?
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
More of a capcom fan myself. Shin Akuma has no equal...

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga