FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#92142 - 03/23/03 07:04 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Scholar Offline

Loc: Brockton
Special Forces/ Ranger-UDT/Seal
Hand-to Hand Combat ?Special Weapons/Special Tactics Series
"Knife Self-Defense For Combat" by Michael D. Echanis
Ohara Publications 1977
The one I like the best is the redirect into groin defense of overhead type attack. It is Hwrangdo, His Grand Master Joo Bang Lee

#92143 - 03/28/03 10:29 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
A knife is a relatively short range weapon. Find a shield or longer weapon. Chairs or barstools serve well. Point the legs at him, lion tamer style. Two by fours are good, or any length of lumber. Thrust with it, to keep him at a distance. Swinging allows him to get inside. If none of these options are available, and you can't run, you could pull your own blade, I suppose...
As far as what to expect, who knows? I practice flicking my knife open and flowing into a series of two horizontal slashes, a check with the live hand, and a low line stab. So if it's me, now you know what to expect! (sometimes... hehehe.) I tend to focus my training on defanging cuts, as I assume the only reason I would be using a knife would be against an armed assailant, but I doubt the average mugger would train that way.

#92144 - 03/30/03 08:14 AM Re: Knife Fighting
Oldwolf Offline

Loc: Scotland
One of the problems with our training is that despite our best intentions we tend to train against knife attacks of two categories;

The 'trained knife fighter' blade held low, cutting edge up held in reverse hand, lead hand out questing, for instance, or blade in lead hand slicing in narrow arcs.

or

The '1940' cowboy and Indian movie attackwhere the assailant attacks from 20 yards away with an over head strike.

I am an advocate of training with jumbo magic marker pens, which give you some idea of how easy it is to get cut.
However the main problem is that in the majority of knife attacks the victim doesn't see the blade until they are bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig, the Americans call it the prison yard rush.
I was doing a door on a notorius night spot when me and my mate stopped some guys who had caused a little bother previous, one at the back lobbed a bottle he was carrying and it kicked of, in the fracas and in full sight of me in slow motion my mate got punched in the chest, dropped his opponent with a shot to the face and moved on to the next, a quarer inch chisel rolled out of the guys hand and my mate had been stabbed in the chest, small almost un-noticible entry wound which quickly saturated his jacket, the ensuing operation had stitches from his sternum under his arm and round his shoulder blade. He still there and still does the door.
I have been in a scirmish or two, and have several silvery threads on my forearms and two between my fingers from blades, couple of short blade stab wounds and some stanley slash marks but nothing serious, but in all those occasions I only saw the blade once before I was bleeding.

Its only my opinion but I think that you must treat every attack as being armed, your defense must be such that damage would be minimal as others have pointed out using front of forearms, back of hands etc, but most importantly finish them off rapidly, don't mess about, finish them and be on your way.

#92145 - 03/30/03 08:04 PM Re: Knife Fighting
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
Some damn good points.

It is unfortunate, but the majority of the time you see the blade after you see your own blood.

I know there are no hard and fast rules in this one, but does any one know of things to look out for that may hint toward a consealed weapon?

The premise of this is that "a shower rarely stabs, but a stabber rarely shows"

Any ideas?

#92146 - 03/31/03 07:38 AM Re: Knife Fighting
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Well one can never be sure, but if you are observant enough and lets be honest actualy looking for the threat rather than enjoying a drink and a chat, then look out for unusual hand clenching which may signify an object is being palmed up against the arm or dropped out of a sleave. More obvious examples include an approaching individual reaching into their pocket whilst eyeballing you (hard to guess if they are going to cut and run or are just looking for their keys). IMO you cant defend against the random nutter cutting and running, but if an individual or group is clearly taking an interest in you, with regular eye contact, then you get an approach and pocket reach...well draw your own conclusions. I suppose more blatant examples would include reaching down for the boot whilst maintaining
eye contact, or an obvious brush past between two opponents - possibly a wepaon being passed. To go on a bit further, possible unusal hand movements rather than just to the visible pockets. For example back and round to the small of the back, or down into the front of trousers, could all signify a threat. At the end of the day though, and sorry to state the obvious, but these could all be some bloke in a hurry, straightening his shirt or scratching his nuts. Thats the point of the non shower though, you don't get to see the weapon 99% of the time. These are just some indicators that might move you into the 1% if you see it and it really is a prelude to an attack.

Regds
Mr V

#92147 - 03/31/03 06:52 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Brings up an interesting point: method of carry. How do most attackers carry a blade? Any LEO's out there know? On the belt? front or back? in the pocket? Boot? I personally carry my spyderco clipped to my right front pants pocket, or in my wasteband at the pocket of the hip. The possible carry methods are pretty extensive.

#92148 - 03/31/03 07:47 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
On the inside of a sleeve if long sleeves. If not on the waist next to my right hand.

#92149 - 04/05/03 07:48 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Eric Offline

Loc: Westerville, Ohio USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chen Zen:
On the inside of a sleeve if long sleeves. If not on the waist next to my right hand. [/QUOTE]

Or in an empty front pants pocket, that you have practiced withdrawing from.

#92150 - 04/05/03 11:53 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I find that unless it is the little fifth pocket that often the knife gets snagged on the pocket. Or it is hard to find in between keys and change and whatever.

#92151 - 04/06/03 12:02 PM Re: Knife Fighting
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Chen Zen, get a blade that has a belt clip. Clip it to your pocket, knife inside, clip outside, and discipline yourself to use THAT pocket for nothing but the knife. then practice drawing it about a zillion times. Best done by opening boxes, etc. I'm fast and smooth enough that I can draw, open a box, unlock and fold the blade, and slip it back in it's place before most people notice. Good training.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga