FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
Marcus Charles 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#92021 - 12/17/02 05:12 PM I need experienced opinion PLEASE
Merc Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
I'm lookin for the best art that will teach me the best defense as well as improving my ability to take a punch. Im a first timer. I havnt had any previous experience and im looking to get into the arts. I have an aggressive personality, and im looking for an art that would help me on the streets. I want to be able to protect myself as well as my friends and family. Can someone please give me some experienced opinions? Im totally lossed. Muay Thai sounds pretty good. What do you all think? please respond ASAP

#92022 - 12/18/02 06:58 AM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
Cato Offline
Veteran

Well now, this is the eternal question of the martial arts Merc, a variation of "which ones best". Prepare to be inundated with cries of "they all have their weaknesses", "depends on the person", "there is no best style" "cross training is best" and such like.

What you need to decide is exactly what you want to learn. Traditional or modern? Primarily a striking or grappling style? Or perhaps a modern, eclectic system? Do you want to learn self defence or martial art? Is competition important to you?

The next thing is what is available to you in your area? how well you like the particular style, teacher, training hall and other students practising there? How do training times fit in with your lifestyle? Remember that you will probably end up training there for a long time.

Go and look at a few styles locally, but watch the students not the instructor. Whilst the grade and skill of the instructor are important, how well he teaches will ultimately decide how far you can go with him.

Once you've done all that, take up ju jutsu - it's the best by a mile (JOKING... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Only a little joke fella's, be gentle with me)

#92023 - 12/18/02 12:36 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
Merc Offline

Whats the difference between traditional and modern? i want striking i think, grappling is throws and stuff right? i wanna fight it out. Whats "modern, eclectic system"? And martial art...defense isnt all thats important. I dunno much about martial arts, but dont make fun of me, but the cartoon show Dragon Ball Z got me real interested in martial arts.I've been sluggin it out old school style and the people im forced to face seem to keep gettin bigger in size. So can u help me?

#92024 - 12/18/02 01:18 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
martial_life Offline

Loc: Elkton, SD, US
Well, for one, no martial art in the world will teach you to slug it out, that only means that you are not ensuring that your opponent the capability to hit you back. Two, most fights end up on the ground, and you WILL prolly need some grappling skills.

See what arts suit you best, and then pick from what you have available in your area.

(DBZ is a neat cartoon)

#92025 - 12/18/02 02:04 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
Merc Offline

i dont literally slug it out but i mean standin up and fightin, i wont ever run, cuz if i planned on to, i wouldnt be jumping in to defend my friends and family in the first place. I mean that i want to learn endurance for pain, and i want to train my reflexes and emotions, as well as learning where and when to strike an opponent.

#92026 - 12/20/02 08:52 AM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
CrimsonTiger Offline

Ok, let's be realistic here. You want to learn to scrap...fight...duke it out. You don't care to learn philosophy, discipline or cultural context of an art. You want application.

First off, I don't think you should be learning to fight for offensive purposes...fighting to defend yourself or your family/friends is fine, but I worry that if you constantly find yourself fighting, it's not really defense. You're using your fists when your head should be prevailing.

THAT BEING SAID...nothing beats boxing or Muay Thai for stand-up combat. Most scrappers don't kick, so boxing alone is pretty good for you to learn how to deliver good punches and take a good hit. MT will add the kicks, elbows and knees...plus a good training gym will probably give you SOME groundwork training as well.

I wouldn't suggest Jujutsu or karate...karate will get you killed if you don't know how to use it (which takes time), and jutsu often involves crippling someone (breaking limbs) if you want to use it effectively in a fight. Otherwise being on the ground in a streetfight is a bad idea.

Just my two-pence...

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

#92027 - 12/22/02 07:37 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
Merc Offline

im not constantly in fighting, but yes i fight more than most, because i defend those who cant defend themselves. half the time i fight people i dont even kno or recognize.

i also want to join for self discipline, confidence, and to keep me occupied. I want to push myself to new limitations. I want to exceed my own expectations to help develope my thinking and fundamental skills for when i graduate from high school. I know fightings not everything, but i may want to compete in tournaments to win my family some money. Theres more than fighting i want out of it. Understand Crimson? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]

#92028 - 12/22/02 10:45 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
juliusj1n Offline

Loc: Ontario
I'd say that the best martial art for defense and offense is Jeet Kune Do. It is the Martial Art that Bruce Lee developed. It basically teaches the fastest and most efficient methods of taking your oppent down. I mean with forceful hits, not throws... Judo teaches mostly throwing. And Jujitsu is one of my personal favourites just because I can be as brutal as I wanna be, but that requires me to be pretty angry! If you really wanna learn a Martial Art, learn em all... that way you can strip any weaknesses out of them. Oh, and if you think you do not have a very powerful hit, you can always force yourself to hit harder... but at risk of injury.

Question: If you are hitting a 65lb, or 25 kg punching bag or heavier, hung from the rafters in a home, can you make the entire house shake?

Answer: Yes, it requires a lot of channeling of strength. A chimpanzee has the strength of ten men, but I believe it to be that man does not know how to properly channel his strength. With proper channeling, a punch/kick can render someone ten or even twenty feet from where they where standing. If you want to learn how to efficiently channel your strength to your advantage, learn Jeet Kune Do. It teaches the way of the intercepting fist as well as many other interesting moves.

Peace!

#92029 - 12/23/02 08:47 AM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
CrimsonTiger Offline

Merc,

Understood, but I'd personally still advocate Muay Thai or Kickboxing (or boxing!) if you want to win a bit of money in tournaments (not many karate tournaments are for money, at least not the ones I know). I realize you're probably not ALWAYS fighting, but I did want to clarify that I didn't think you should learn to fight just to be a thug.

Jeet Kune Do may suit you, although I think jj is a but overzealous there, especially since he mentioned elsewhere he doesn't have a teacher. JKD (and martial arts in general) is rife with people who claim to be the "real deal". As I mentioned earlier, it seems like you're more into something that you can use quickly with less of the tradition. The problem with JKD, in my opinion, is that it died with Bruce. It was never fully developed, although many have tried. What many JKD practitioners don't seem to realize is that JKD isn't anything special, it's just a non-traditional way of thinking...a Western way of thinking applied to a (heavily) Eastern mishmash of arts. Western fighting was developed through fighting alone, the cultural/philosophical aspect wasn't stressed the same way. So regardless of your art, just train it hard and keep an open mind.

Damn, the holidays really do adle your mind...sorry if that was a bit rambling. LOL!

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

#92030 - 12/23/02 01:10 PM Re: I need experienced opinion PLEASE
juliusj1n Offline

Loc: Ontario
Do not assume anthing senseilou? Anything is possible. Bruce Lee was a great martial artist... not because he was supposedly unbeatable but because he realized that names for forms are not important and that it does not matter what race you are, you can still learn it. Just because I don't have a sensei or "master" doesn't mean I can't properly learn a martial art, it just means that I won't learn all the corresponding names for the movements and actions. But, that being said, names are not important. If you are doing something wrong training yourself, you usually know it... not conciously but subconciously. There will always be away to tell your doing something wrong... for example, a loss of fluidity, a loss in strength, a loss in accuracy. It all points to a mistake. Just "Live and Let Learn!" Not everybody needs an instructor. I have always learned better on my own then with the help of others. Some people are just that way. So don't criticize me because of what I say. I just believe in the impossible, except anything is possible. And it doesn't matter what I can do, I don't try to prove I can do what I can do, I just realize that perhaps I need not flaunt my strength in some infantile test of will. After all thats what most Martial Arts try to teach isn't it... Will power, and defence, principles. I learn it all, perhaps just not in the same order.
So, Peace y'all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga