FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91099 - 09/10/01 08:58 PM The Head-Butt
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
In my experience of social situations where violence has erupted be it on the street or in bars or clubs I can quite honestly say that the head-butt is almost as popular amongst the "untrained" masses as the wild swinging haymaker. Why this is may have something to do with the fact that many arguements are conducted nose to nose before they turn violent along with the requisite "eyeballing" and swearing, thus making the head a convenient weapon to use with minimal targeting required. Whatever the reason, it cannot be denied that the head-butt is effective when used and very effective when used properly. As a percentage of total body mass, the head is right up there, making it a formidable weapon when propelled towards ones opponent. From this one can ask a couple of questions. Firstly whats the best way to use the head-butt? (ive always advocated a side to side and forward motion to promote maximum cutting on impact) and indeed should we as Martial Artists ever have let a hostile individual into our "personal space" to the extent that a headbutt would be our initial attack - i think not but thats just me. Any views, opinions???
Regards and good training

#91100 - 09/21/01 04:21 PM Re: The Head-Butt
judderman Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
A very viable weapon. However it is a difficult one to perform. It is not a natural movemement, or one that is regularly taught/practiced. One must also remember that it can hurt if you are even just slightly off target, the head being as it is.
I think most would be happy with the exaggerated 'nod' method, although the one descibed is more likely to break the nose.
As for distance, most would agree that in 'real' situations, distance can become very small very quickly, regardless of ones fighting knowledge. Therefore anything which is effective at close range is viable.

Budo

#91101 - 09/24/01 11:24 AM Re: The Head-Butt
Shuto Offline

Loc: Dublin
One thing I have noted is that if I use my lead foot to pin my opponent's foot as I deliver my headbutt then he will drop onto his back unless he is a very big guy. I have been told by instructors that pinning a guy's foot and making him drop back fast onto a hard surface can damage his ankle, but I have never observed this.

One other thing about delivering a headbutt which took me a while to get used to was keeping my eyes open. I had a tendency to flinch as I connected. Conditioning the head is a good way of getting over this.

#91102 - 12/02/01 05:53 AM Re: The Head-Butt
frank Offline

Loc: England
Hello,
Nutting as we call it in England, was at one time highly thought of over here, in fact an entire fighting art was built around it, and this art was indeed called nutting.

Frank

#91103 - 07/18/02 03:00 PM Re: The Head-Butt
Jeniko Offline

Loc: England
Frank speaks the truth... I know many people who like " Nutting " things as they like too call it... they'll " Nut " a doop too prove there strength.

Usually though, i've noticed too the nose is the best and most popular place, medically the forehead is a mass of bone, so used right it can be used like a hammer, hitting two foreheads together isn't going too do much good for alot of people, but hitting someone in the nose with your forehead is going too do them more damage than you.

Thats something ive picked up by people in the street with there " Nutting " skills...
Weather its right or wrong.

Jeniko

#91104 - 09/24/02 12:38 PM Re: The Head-Butt
SenseiTank Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY
Headbutt... yes... I teach this to my students. It is in the beginning of all Kata... The formal REI! This was brought to my attention from my Hsing I teacher, GM David Lin. He also studied the Shuri based arts. There are actually four applications to this technique(yes, I call the REI a technique). I also advise them that it is a "kamikaze" technique used only when really necessary due to the risk of injuring yourself in the process(crashing forehead against teeth...OUCH!). We actually work on the different applications for this, one of them is not a headbutt but a "bladder check" done with your own butt forcefully thrown back against a rear attack(as in a bear-hug attempt). I used this against a knuckle-headed friend of mine who totally forgets that he always gets hurt when he plays sneak-up on me games, he was really hurt and I felt terrible but it worked well.

Back to headbutts, they are very effective against the edge of the attackers jaw, on the nose, the eye socket. I don`t encourage it against the mouth due to the risk. I personally like this technique.

Just my opinion.

#91105 - 04/17/03 08:50 PM Re: The Head-Butt
Tkdstreetfighter88 Offline

Loc: Ocala, Fl, USA
Headbutts in my opinion are some of the best techniques out there.

They can be used in close range if someone has your arms or grappling/throwing techniques fail.

Ether pull your head back and slam your forehead straight into your opponents nose.

Or swing your head back and swing it to the side making a harsh contact to there the jaw.

I personally would only use headbutts to these 2 points since they can easily be broken, and a good headbutt to the nose or jaw should definately break them and cause maximum pain.

A good combo with head butts is a side head butt to the right into the jaw, a side head butt to the left into the jaw, then a straight one to the nose that will really mess them up and leave you an opportunity to get out of there.

#91106 - 04/17/03 10:09 PM Re: The Head-Butt
raccoon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Victoria BC Canada
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SenseiTank:
Headbutt... yes... I teach this to my students. It is in the beginning of all Kata... The formal REI! [/QUOTE]

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry... [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

#91107 - 04/18/03 03:55 AM Re: The Head-Butt
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also think the head butt is great if you are unlucky enough to have to fight at close range. I agree with Mr V about the forward and side motion. I used the nod in a playground brawl once and I connected with his head instead of his nose because he moved. It really hurt! I have been shown how to do it properly since, but have never used it.
Sharon

#91108 - 04/18/03 05:25 AM Re: The Head-Butt
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
A Glaswegian kiss!

Quick tap to the nose, or as Mr V says a cutting action to the eyebrow. Also side on to the temple.
When in a standing grapple situation both hands are busy, the head butt is so important, need also, to defend against it with a raised elbow.

Possible aggressors in night clubs always like to get close in, under the pretext that they cant hear what is being said due to loud music. One needs a very close in “fence” to guard against a head butt attack, I try to use the “thinker “ pose with hand open and pressing against my forehead and the elbow out toward them, right hand open and palm facing close in to them as if to try to channel sound to the ear.

One of the dan grades in our group is famous for his head butt, I have pictures of him butting through house bricks….ATAMA UCHI!!!!!

My wife took her 4th dan last month and she even got a jumping head butt in during line up! Everyone Laughed!!!

At work, I once saw 2 guys arguing, 1 of them calmly took his glasses off put them into their case, then into an inside jacket pocket, and them just nutted the other guy, reached into his pocket and took out his glasses again!!! It was a real shame we had to throw him out the club, I wanted to hire the bloke.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga