FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#91026 - 08/20/01 03:23 PM Your favourite techniques revealed.
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Things are looking desperate, the only escape is through him and his buddies are getting out of a car on the other side of the road. He's got to be dropped quickly before it becomes 5 v 1. He's standing in front of you arms wide open and sneering. You haven't time for anything pretty. Whats your technique, your favourite, the one you use when it really has to work?

#91027 - 08/23/01 12:14 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
TomSwiss Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Depending on range, relative size, etcetera etcetera...all other things being equal I think I'd go with the good ol' palm-heel to the nose. It's a classic.

Assuming that this is a life-or-death group attack situation, I want this guy not just incapacitated, I want him on the ground and bloody to scare the hell out of his buddies. An attack to the knee, groin, even throat won't do that like something to the face.

In addition to re-arranging the face of the recipient, the rising action of the strike snaps the head back, which is where the potential for knock-out or death comes in. (No, you won't push their nosebone back into their brain, that's strickly a myth; but you can shake their brain up enough to kill them.)

Using the palm-heel instead of the fist greatly reduces your chance of injuring your hand or wrist. It may slightly reduce the impact of the strike, but in this case that's just going to mean more engery into the head snap-back instead of into breaking his nose. I've seen cement pavers broken with palm-heel strikes, it's plenty powerful enough to get the job done.

Of course, once his head has snapped back and he's off-balanced, he's ripe for just about any follow-up you care to name. Figuring that he's staggering back from the first shot I'd probably follow up with a front kick from the same side that launched the palm-heel.

#91028 - 08/28/01 04:25 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
Oldwolf Offline

Loc: Scotland
Hi, sorry Tomswiss, but I'll have to disagree on that one.
Firstly your hand should be well enough conditioned to make damaging them an out side chance.
Secondly with multiple oponents you must finish off oponents rapid, this means knockouts, single shot to the jawline.
Partial knockouts / quick recovery are dealt with after the second, and third oponent, although the situation should dictate the order.
Over the years I've had one or two KO's to my credit and only injured my hands twice, once on teeth and once on the top of a rapidly ducking head, I still finished them off and I wouldn't say my hands are the most heavily conditioned that I've seen.
just my take.

#91029 - 08/29/01 12:22 AM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
Kuromatsu Offline

Hi Oldwolf,

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I believe that you missed Mr. Swiss' point. The idea of making a bloody mess of the "leader" is one of, perhaps THE, most important first steps in changing the dynamics of the situation.

I have seen this tactic work and would probably choose to rely on it myself in this situation.

The condition of the hands is debatable, but not the point. He said "greatly reduces your chance of injuring your hand or wrist..." Playing the best percentages is always prudent. You may choose to use the knuckles, but that does not change the the validity of Mr. Swiss' observation.

The scenario of "opponent #1, #2, #3, etc..." may have to come to be, but if one can shock the "pack" into losing its nerve and/or backing off a bit - even hesitating - one's chances for survival are increased.

Kind regards,
Andy

#91030 - 08/29/01 08:02 AM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
omegapoint Offline

Both O.W. and T.S. have strong points. The psychological blow caused by seeing their compatriot bloodied-up would cause reservation, but it may also precipitate a beat-down. I've also seen friends of fallen comrades jump in when the situation turned messy for their homeboy.

O.W.'s solution would also be psychologically effective, if you were to exact a quick clean K.O. of the leader or one of his friends. Seeing the toughest dude in your group go nighty-night in such a fashion would probably cause some hesitation on the part of the "posse".

I've used my fists on faces and bodies in street fights numerous times and never had a problem with any injury whatsoever (except a slight street abrasion on my pinky knuckle incurred while delivering rib and kidney shots to a bully I had on the ground in a half-guillotine). There are nerves which control a lot of hand function that branch outward (radiate) from the middle portion of the palmar aspect of the hand. Be very careful when employing a palm-heel strike to hard surfaces. Strong, conditioned fists are always a bonus in bare-knuckle situations. Peace...

#91031 - 08/29/01 02:01 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Thanks for the knowlegeable input all - some good suggestions all round. I think we all agree that the primary concern is to only have to fight the guy in front of you before making our get away, so time is of the essence. Secondary to that but certainly important is the psychological impact of your action on his fast approaching buddies. Knocking him out clean may well make them think twice and certainly if his face looks blooded and messed up that can't hurt your cause. On the subject of technique and purely for the sake of throwing my hat into the arena, i may well go for the rear hand palm strike to the nose WHILST moving into the target at speed, with a lot of noise. Hopefully this will cause the head to snap back and rebound straight onto the
(same arm) forearm / elbow strike as i go through him and carry on running to safety.

[This message has been edited by MrVigerous (edited 08-29-2001).]

#91032 - 08/29/01 06:49 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
Oldwolf Offline

Mayhaps I misconstrue you,
Through bitter experience, as I'm sure you all have, I have learnt that flamboyant gestures and visually stunning techniques count for diddly squat for real.
The prime objective in a multiple opponent situation is to effect your own, or loved ones safety.
Prioritising: ake out the wolfs and scatter the sheep, if you can do it with a limited number of effective and efficient techniques to neutralise the threat, then go back and frighten the sheep with mighty kiai, sprays of blood etc.
I reckon there is little point in trying to frighten the sheep, with bloody faces etc until the wolves are history.
Having said that, if you can do it and make it pretty good on yeah.
However effective first, pretty second.
Just my take.

#91033 - 08/29/01 11:10 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
TomSwiss Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland, USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oldwolf:
Secondly with multiple oponents you must finish off oponents rapid, this means knockouts, single shot to the jawline.
[/QUOTE]

I think we're imagining the scenario a bit differently; I'm thinking one guy in my face while the others are on the other side of the road.

Jawline is a good target too, and one I'd be more likely to attack with the closed fist. You also want a different angle, though; I'm picturing that he's directly facing me and I've got a better angle to go right up the middle than to go for the side/corners of the jaw.

(Though you could throw a hook, which is a technique I've been working on lately. I found a U.S. Naval Aviation boxing manual from the early 40's in a used book store last year, and have been learning a lot from it...it's done wonders for my left hook.)

#91034 - 09/10/01 05:24 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
Oldwolf Offline

My bad Tom, we were looking at it slightly differently.
Your angle of attack should not be determined by where your opponent is but by how you have lined him up.
Hooks etc. should all be in your Karate, just some times it takes a bit of searching. Nip down to your local boxing gym, get the trainer to run over the basic hooks with you then reexamine your Kata, then get on the heavy bag.
Train on!

#91035 - 06/21/02 01:05 PM Re: Your favourite techniques revealed.
Jason Porter Offline

Loc: Johnson City, NY, USA
Hello all. Though I have had the luxury of studying many styles my core is in Oyama Karate and Muay Thai and I would have to say that if confronted by someone front on who is just inside my physical sphere then I would use an outside low kick to the thigh followed by an upward knee to the face. If you've ever been kicked in the thigh by a good low kick with the shin then you know what I'm speaking off. This kick will result in the attacker being lowered and you can grab and knee. Effective and still getting the psychological aspects of combat across to his buddies. Yes I like finger strikes to the eyes as well, followed by a number of techniques but I will have to stick with the low kick, it is powerful and on the unexpected line of attack. Just my two cents, everyone has their bread and butter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga