FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Galen 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
01/13/14 07:28 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
Today at 04:03 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35547 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#90823 - 11/12/00 01:48 AM MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
GEORGE DEMETRIOU Offline
Stranger

Loc: ISLIP TERRACE,NY,USA
I JUST WANTED TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT MARTIAL ARTISTS PRIMARILY INTERESTED IN SELF-DEFENSE THINK ABOUT DEFENDING THEMSELVES AGAINST MORE THAN ONE ATTACKER. DO YOU THINK IT'S POSSIBLE? IS YOUR CURRENT TRAINING ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM? ANY REAL LIFE STORIES?

#90824 - 11/15/00 02:57 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
KenpoKev Offline

Loc: Genoa, Nevada, USA
I think you can use martial arts in a multi-attacker situation, only if you practice for it. We have a tendancy to focus on single attacker techniques with fairly unrealistic attacks. (one-steps come to mind)

I just finished a defensive tactics class for our Sheriff's department. We use simple techniques to position the assailant between us and the other attackers. While it isn't particularly 'artistic', it has a basis of effectiveness.

In any event, you must train in an effective manner. Practice defensive situations, pad-up and thump each other. Connect with some local police to review examples they've seen. (Inquire with the agency about who teaches DT) Fancy stuff doesn't cut it, keep it simple and controlled.

Good luck in your journey!
Regards,
Kevin

#90825 - 02/26/01 04:12 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
Brewer Offline

Loc: Arizona,U.S.
Hello,
First of all,I want to say that in this type of situation that you want to avoid grappling at all cost.If you get tangled up with one of them,the other one is going to
take you apart.Secondly,this is where the saying"ichi geki hissatsu"(one strike certain death)comes in.You don't have to kill
the assailant.But you want to make sure that
the technique you choose to use,is delivered with enough power to completely put the first person out of the picture.The second one I would deal with in the same manner.This is just in case your technique didn't put the first one down long enough for you to deal with the second one by himself.If you don't have enough street fighting experience and you haven't trained for full contact.Then you should start doing so if you think that this type of situation may arise.This way I feel that you can develope enough confidence to deal with the situation.
A good way to try out the full contact against two people is to get fully padded .Then have two of your friends or fellow students stand by a door way or even an imaginary door way.One on each side of it and try to fight your way through it.Theres alot of different ways you can do it,but this would be good for starters.And yes,I have taken out two people,exactly like I explained to you above ,when I was telling you about,"ichi geki hissatsu ". It's better to learn in a controlled class room,than finding out on the street,that your technique isn't as good as you thought.
Your Brother in the Arts

#90826 - 04/30/01 10:18 AM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Id have to strongly agree with a lot of what has been said by the previous respondants. In my experience,the action of getting one of the attackers between you and his fellows as quickly as possible is a must do. I have practiced techniques for imobilising this first attacker and using him as a shield to open up a greater potential for escape, but in all honesty I think most of us would choose to destroy the first attacker and move onto the next. I would strongly advocate the use of short powerful techniques to engage the attackers,very spartan and not at all flowery and at all costs avoid going to ground - often very difficult in practice. As for practice again I must concur, get padded, prepare to accept a bit of pain for a lot of gain and go to it.
Regds

#90827 - 09/10/01 01:22 AM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
Carrie Hartnett Offline

Loc: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GEORGE DEMETRIOU:
I JUST WANTED TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT MARTIAL ARTISTS PRIMARILY INTERESTED IN SELF-DEFENSE THINK ABOUT DEFENDING THEMSELVES AGAINST MORE THAN ONE ATTACKER. DO YOU THINK IT'S POSSIBLE? IS YOUR CURRENT TRAINING ADDRESSING THE PROBLEM? ANY REAL LIFE STORIES?[/QUOTE]

Ashihara karate is a Martial Art that contends with multiple attackers. I believe this is an important issue, well done on raising this matter.
With a modern day Society, we need to adjust our Martial Arts to address this issue and pratice multiple attack techniques as part of our everyday training. A lot of attacks today are gang related.

#90828 - 09/10/01 05:12 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
Oldwolf Offline

Loc: Scotland
Tend to agree with Mr V. on this one, bone on bone, fist elbow etc onto jawline, one strike maybe two max, then onto the next oponent, returning to finish still conscious opponents with flourish and for effect.

#90829 - 09/10/01 06:38 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
MrVigerous Offline
Former Administrator

Loc: UK
Flourish and for effect - reminds me of the Geoff Thompson axe kick - hehe. Interesting point though. Should one be in a situation with multiple assailants who (for once) are not all that desperate to go or at least be the first man into the fray, does finishing the first one with a flourish and with due effect pay dividends in terms of the likelihood of continual conflict??? Answers? Opinions?

#90830 - 12/18/01 07:23 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
Jeff Offline
Stranger

Loc: Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Hi,

I agree with this with the addition that you only fight one attacker at a time. Use tactics to gain position and try to be as devasting in your first attacks as possible.

Jeff

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KenpoKev:

I just finished a defensive tactics class for our Sheriff's department. We use simple techniques to position the assailant between us and the other attackers. While it isn't particularly 'artistic', it has a basis of effectiveness.

#90831 - 12/23/02 02:18 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
juliusj1n Offline

Loc: Ontario
I'd say that in a multiple attacker situation it is time to start breaking bones. The goal with more then you can handle is to cut them down to size. Say you have three assailants coming at you from infront of you and five from the back. Well, then the question is, "Which one posses the most danger, the group of three or the group of five?" Obviously your answer will probably the group of three. So you make your way over to them deliver a quick pop jab to the nose of one... he's out of the picture... side kick out a knee... there's another out. And a quick grapple and knee to the third turning them around and putting them betweent he other five... then well, make the rest up... Martial Arts require a lot of spontinuity, so don't be afraid to become more creative then you thought you were.

#90832 - 12/23/02 02:21 PM Re: MULTIPLE ASSAILANT SELF-DEFENSE
juliusj1n Offline

Loc: Ontario
Whoops! Got my thing backwards. Group of five posses most threat, so eliminate the easiest one first. Then it requires more skill.
Sorry about that!
Peace!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga