FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#89523 - 02/25/05 04:19 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
The problem that had been confounding all of these smart people for so long (and continues to confound them; did I mention that none of what Iím describing has yet been supported by a shred of experimental evidence?) was this: Gravity is weak.
Objection #1: Thatís silly. Gravity is the strongest thing aroundóitís what moves planets and clusters of thousands of galaxies, not to mention that itís what keeps us pinned to the ground.
Rebuttal #1: When you compare it to the other forcesósay, the electromagnetic forceógravity is incommensurably less powerful. Take for example a simple refrigerator magnet. Think about the forces acting on it as it pins a photo to the fridge. Thereís the combined gravitational force of the entire Earth pulling the magnet down to the ground, and the magnetic attraction of a little strip of iron anchoring it to the fridge. Those few grams of magnetic material win; not even a planet-size
[/QUOTE]

However, like you said, other forces could be weaker. This quote is from the link that Trek left.

#89524 - 02/25/05 05:07 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
Quote by Shonuff -

Again, agreed. I assume there must be some kind of inertia or momentum in the first place to set things in motion (big bang?).

Unclear about the properties of gravity in a mass-less enviroment - my understanding is that gravity can not exist without mass, ie; gravity must have something to act ON.

Two objects going away from each other in space will probably never act gravitationally on each other - but as they pass by other objects, the resulting distortion of space/time will cause other objects to be drawn into the depressions(?) or warpages(?). Even light is not immune to that effect, as astronomers are well aware of the effect of backround star's apparent 'movement' relative to high-mass foreground objects.

Ummm...not sure if anyone really knows, though. Sort of a "chicken or egg" thing for now.

Hopefully this post is coherent, as I am currently on enough allergy medecine to drop a rhino.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 02-25-2005).]
[/QUOTE]

Forces act through fields. All fields are infinite. To use the quantum model the forces are transmitted by way of carrier particles (in this case Gravitons). Two masses moving in opposite directions no matter how far appart will attract each other but with an attraction weakening as the distance inreases, whether they slow and come back depends on how much velocity they are have initially i.e. if its too great gravities effects will be negligable.

A mass is the source of the gravitational field, just as an electric charge is the source of an electrical field, but the attractive or repulsive effect is precisely whats known as a force. Space-time is only curved because of the force of gravity acting on it. You're right though, it is hard to seperate, but Im quite certain Gravity is classified as a force.

#89525 - 02/25/05 06:16 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

RockHard -

While that almost makes sense, is Trek really trying to compare a refrigerator magnet's attraction to that of the sun ( which is holding several planets and other debris large and small )?!

Taking away the heat factor, if you were to put that same magnet on the surface of the sun, solar gravity would probably flatten it.

Perhaps not a fair comparison (magnet to sun), but the sun does produce a hefty magnetic field of it's own. But it would be fair to say that the sun's magnetism is NOT what is holding all the planets in orbit...

Shonuff -

I am in agreement with you as far as gravity's classification as a force. I think we might be arguing two different perspectives - the 3D human POV, where gravity acts as and appears as a seperate, independant force, and the unified theory defintion which sees all the fundamental forces as inter-related.

You have certainly made a good case for your POV. If your martial arts skills are as sharp as your debating skills, you must be tough indeed. Fascinating discussion!

*bows respectfully*

#89526 - 02/25/05 09:19 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MattJ:
[B
You have certainly made a good case for your POV. If your martial arts skills are as sharp as your debating skills, you must be tough indeed. Fascinating discussion!

*bows respectfully* [/QUOTE]

LOL, thank you for the complement, but I only wish I could walk it as good as I talk it. Maybe when I get back into training properly.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga