FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#89513 - 02/24/05 11:45 AM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neko -

I was under the impression that the "unified" in the name of that theory was saying that the fundamental forces (strong, weak, electro/magnetism and gravity) were NOT seperate things, but rather manifestations of or reactions to the others.

Of course, I have little knowledge of string theory, or quantum mechanics in general.

Do you have any good links for your info?

I can't believe that we are discussing QM on an internal arts MA forum! Can't we be shot for this?!

Apologize for totally derailing this thread!

#89514 - 02/24/05 04:02 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

(I'm going to name the baby born in high grav. Billy)
The Billy's heart would overwork its self, resulting in a heart failure or heart attack. If he somehow survivide that, then he would age at an abnormaly high rate due to the constant wear on the body. Also, Billy's young bones would be imbued with a permanent curvature(bent leg bones, hunch back, arthritis in the hips and knees, etc.) . A very sad life >:[

Moving on...
I think that if an object's gravitational pull was somehow irregular; then, it could not intertwine with the surrounding universe. Like oil in water. It could travel at limitless speeds with little or no propulsion. Also, I believe that gravity is the source of all the other forces, especialy electromagnetism; because, it is the only force that could possibly be present in the sub-stringular level(I made the strigular word up to help explain what I am trying to say), as it works wherever there is mass, while the others only work at a much larger level. Gravity causes the other forces when the particles composing strings(sub-stringular) collide with each other because of the gravitaional pull, then quickly disengage, because even gravity is very weak at that level, then collide again. The energy created by these collisions is what makes everything and everyone unique. Don't ask me for sources, because I don't have any, lol. I came up with this when I finished my science assessment two-hours early, leaving me with alot of time to think.

note: There is no light on this level because photons are too big <:O

Question: If gravity is the weakest force, then why is it the only one that is able to puncuture the phyiscal plane(ex: Black Holes)?

[This message has been edited by RockHard Huy (edited 02-24-2005).]

#89515 - 02/24/05 05:35 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Err....RockHard? Not trying to be rude, but...

[QUOTE]Don't ask me for sources, because I don't have any[/QUOTE]

You certainly make some interesting conjecture, but I disagree with some of your points.

[QUOTE](I'm going to name the baby born in high grav. Billy)
The Billy's heart would overwork its self, resulting in a heart failure or heart attack. If he somehow survivide that, then he would age at an abnormaly high rate due to the constant wear on the body. Also, Billy's young bones would be imbued with a permanent curvature(bent leg bones, hunch back, arthritis in the hips and knees, etc.) . A very sad life >:[[/QUOTE]

Is there a doctor in the house?! I do not know much about physiology (earth-bound or otherwise), but would like to know if that is true!

[QUOTE]Also, I believe that gravity is the source of all the other forces, especialy electromagnetism; because, it is the only force that could possibly be present in the sub-stringular level(I made the strigular word up to help explain what I am trying to say), as it works wherever there is mass[/QUOTE]

That is certainly debatable since gravity can not exist without mass. Perhaps mass (and the other forces) is the source of gravity! (my understanding)

Sub-stringular! Good grief!!! Strings were supposed to be THE SMALLEST!! [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/wink.gif[/IMG]

Gravity wave theory, eh? I am unclear on what causes the waves to begin with. Disturbance by mass? Quantum fluctuation? I know very little about string theory.

[QUOTE]note: There is no light on this level because photons are too big <:O[/QUOTE]

Photons can act like waves as well as particles, as far as I know....so there could be light. But I guess we'll never know.

[QUOTE]Question: If gravity is the weakest force, then why is it the only one that is able to puncuture the phyiscal plane(ex: Black Holes[/QUOTE]

Where are you getting your info that gravity is the weakest force? Wouldn't the weak (atomic) force be the weakest? (I am assuming from the name given to it)

Interesting discussion, though.

#89516 - 02/25/05 01:01 AM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

First I would just like to apologize for the late post I just got back from class it was a 10 hour day in the dojo, very long. I am most impressed in the intelligence of this forum. Its quite amazing to be able to discus physics on a marital arts site. I dont know if I am right but from what I heard no one has even come close to finding out exactly how black holes are created some think it is the last stage of life for a dying star and others say that light can puncture the space time continuum making a black hole. But I really dont know a lot about that stuff, so let me tell you what I do know. The college is uci (University of California Irvine) they are measuring chi with devices used to measure emfs so I could be wrong about chi being an electro magnetic field but thats what they are using to measure them. The college is trying to keep this really hush hush for unknown reasons. The friend I talked to about this thinks its because they are bringing people to the states illegally to test them. Some of the masters of ussd(united studios of self defense, an American school) have been tested as well. I will try to find out more if I can but its really hard to get those people to talk. If anyone can give me some more 411 on this pls help.

#89517 - 02/25/05 06:50 AM Re: Serious training question
nenipp Offline
Veteran

I can't believe that we are discussing QM on an internal arts MA forum! Can't we be shot for this?!

Nope, we've done it before and we're more than likely to do it again (of course you could argue that the fact that we haven't been shot before isn't a guarantee that we wont in the future, but we're all gonna die some day anyhow, so what the heck )

I had some thoughts about the discussion above, but it's friday afternoon and english is just a bit of a struggle for me, so I'll let it be (at least for now)

#89518 - 02/25/05 08:45 AM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

from my last encounter with the string theory my understanding has been that all of the four major forces were at one time the same fource and have since the very moment the universe was created have split into the other four.

the thought that the four forces that govern everything in the universe were once one is no longer that contriversial in part because we have already succeded in combining two or three of the forces, i believe it is two.

someone mentioned the weakness of gravity, the thing about that is that if we take that our universe is made up of only the four dimensions that we know up/down, left/right, forward/backwards, and an extra dimension of time than gravity should be able to be expressed as "Let T be the theoretical magnitude of dark energy.
Let E be the experimental value of dark energy.
If the theorists were right, then T should = E.
Yet T E.
T = E x 10 to the 120.* " this qoute comes from an issue of popular science and if you ould like to read this excellent article you can find it at
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,20967,832497-1,00.html

well i was going to post how big a number that is but it is ten with a hundred and twenty zeros after it anways what this means is that the gravity difference in force has to be explained by other dimensions and that the gravity is spred out through all of the other dimensions and is the only thing that can travle between dimensions.

as for black holes all of the evidence that i have seen points to dieing stars because as they collapse the force that pushes them apart at the atomic level gets over wehlmed and they completely collapse and the gravity goes up as the object gets denser. the density is what makes it heavy. and the material of the star gets so compressed that it puches a hole through and warps the fabric of space time.

hope everyone was able to keep up with that if you have any questions i suggest reading that popsci article first and if that doesnt help i can try to explain whatever i can.

#89519 - 02/25/05 09:25 AM Re: Serious training question
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/everything.html

Someone else mentioned Brian Greene and "Elegant Universe".

PBS' Nova did a really good show on it-hosted by Brian Greene. Highly recommended watching.

#89520 - 02/25/05 11:10 AM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]
And Gravity is not an independant force, it is the result of a mass distorting the space/time continium.

Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE]

Otherway around I think... Gravity distorts space-time, hence all the the theorys of warping space with artificial gravity sources. Space being curved wont make an object change its location on that curve, a force is needed to act on the object.

Well pasted about the mass though, my copy of a brief history of time is burried somewhere in my room.

#89521 - 02/25/05 12:24 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

All this big talk and no one is even answering his question. I'm not exactly sure if it is the same as Goku's 100x earth gravity training, but simply applying weights(ankle weights, wrist weights) to your body is almost the same. The additional weight makes it harder to move, most are at 5kg per weight, so that's two wrist bands(10kg) two ankle weights (10kg) and a weighted shirt(15kg), the pants are 10kg but they'll probably fall off when you get sweaty so forget it. That's 35 kg, and you walk around with that all day, and train with it when you have the time, Once you remove the weights you will feel lighter(Hell I jumped to the roof literally.)My brother who is the real work out man of the house, says that all though it will not cause any health problems, it may stunt your growth and if you have un-even weights there are back pains. The choice is yours, if you want to punch like a motor engine(constant and rapid) and run like a bolt of lighting, apply weights.

As for this gravity thing, I think it's a bit extreme and further more it sounds like it will cost you a million.

#89522 - 02/25/05 12:56 PM Re: Serious training question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote by Shonuff -

[QUOTE]Gravity distorts space-time[/QUOTE]

Full agreement there.

[QUOTE]Space being curved wont make an object change its location on that curve, a force is needed to act on the object.[/QUOTE]

Again, agreed. I assume there must be some kind of inertia or momentum in the first place to set things in motion (big bang?).

Unclear about the properties of gravity in a mass-less enviroment - my understanding is that gravity can not exist without mass, ie; gravity must have something to act ON.

Two objects going away from each other in space will probably never act gravitationally on each other - but as they pass by other objects, the resulting distortion of space/time will cause other objects to be drawn into the depressions(?) or warpages(?). Even light is not immune to that effect, as astronomers are well aware of the effect of backround star's apparent 'movement' relative to high-mass foreground objects.

Ummm...not sure if anyone really knows, though. Sort of a "chicken or egg" thing for now.

Hopefully this post is coherent, as I am currently on enough allergy medecine to drop a rhino.

[This message has been edited by MattJ (edited 02-25-2005).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga