FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Today at 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#89156 - 02/28/05 01:02 PM Re: well, I'm in trouble with laf7773 so could anyone tell me about normal ki not "rad"
Anonymous
Unregistered

you can look at it this way although its probably not correct.

Basically the internal martial arts and chi are all based off of taosist meditation. Basically you are meditating: calming your mind, connecting your body, making yourself one. Because its taoist in nature your goal is enlightenment.

The basic chi-gung principles of hsingi, bagwa, and tai chi, along with the mixed internal/external MA's are all taoist meditation techniques. When you practice these and apply them to a martial art you add internal strength what would typically be an external move. External is hard, your tensing your muscles and trying to hit with everything you have. In internal you are soft, relaxed, and moving your body with your mind.

I suspect if your getting crap from some moderators you were talking dragon ball z speak. Please...whatever you do don't think of chi as some magical force you can use to kick peoples ass with or make you some superior human.

many westerners concept of chi is just off the wall magic hokus pokus stuff. get that out of your mind. Find an IMA teacher and start learning why they are called "internal".

[This message has been edited by hardluck (edited 02-28-2005).]

#89157 - 02/28/05 01:31 PM Re: well, I'm in trouble with laf7773 so could anyone tell me about normal ki not "rad"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Leo:

If you just simply transliterate the ideogram for qi, then it does mean "air". However, there is much more to it than that. Perhaps we can dig into the subject later...or I can give you a long list of reference books to can check out for yourself.

Hardluck:

I would have to disagree with you. In only one Chinese internal art was I ever taught meditation and it was not necessarily of the Taoist school. In all my time in Chen Shi Taijiquan, not once was Taoism broached as a major component of the system. Nor was I ever taught meditation. Of all of the Xingyiquan people that I know, Taoism was not an issue at all. With some Baguazhang people it was, but that was very minimal and was more an adjunct to understanding the triagrams of the Bagua.

As a general guideline and rule of thumb, a martial art can be considered to be internal if it is one that teaches (directly or indirectly) methods in which you reduce the amount of li (regualr muscular strength) to perform techniques and increase the amount of jin (internal energy) used to perform techniques. There are other aspects, but in my opinion, they grow off of this one basic premise.

The whole Taoist slant comes from the fables concerning Zhang Sen Feng (Chang Sen Feng). The only problem here is that there are some serious holes in this theory as to when he actually lived and even if he (as a true person) ever actually existed. I would take the whole Taoist issue with a grain of salt and suggest you do some hard personal research into the issue.

Michael

#89158 - 02/28/05 03:38 PM Re: well, I'm in trouble with laf7773 so could anyone tell me about normal ki not "rad"
Anonymous
Unregistered

[QUOTE]Originally posted by meijin:
Leo:

If you just simply transliterate the ideogram for qi, then it does mean "air". However, there is much more to it than that. Perhaps we can dig into the subject later...or I can give you a long list of reference books to can check out for yourself.

Hardluck:

I would have to disagree with you. In only one Chinese internal art was I ever taught meditation and it was not necessarily of the Taoist school. In all my time in Chen Shi Taijiquan, not once was Taoism broached as a major component of the system. Nor was I ever taught meditation. Of all of the Xingyiquan people that I know, Taoism was not an issue at all. With some Baguazhang people it was, but that was very minimal and was more an adjunct to understanding the triagrams of the Bagua.

As a general guideline and rule of thumb, a martial art can be considered to be internal if it is one that teaches (directly or indirectly) methods in which you reduce the amount of li (regualr muscular strength) to perform techniques and increase the amount of jin (internal energy) used to perform techniques. There are other aspects, but in my opinion, they grow off of this one basic premise.

The whole Taoist slant comes from the fables concerning Zhang Sen Feng (Chang Sen Feng). The only problem here is that there are some serious holes in this theory as to when he actually lived and even if he (as a true person) ever actually existed. I would take the whole Taoist issue with a grain of salt and suggest you do some hard personal research into the issue.

Michael
[/QUOTE]

Thank you Michael, I am half Chinese and the concept of Chi has been part of my life for quite a while. While at this point I understand only an oversimplified definition of Chi, I didn't want to let shadowdragon think that his valid request to learn about the accepted form of Chi was in vain. (I do not personally use Chi in my MA)

I would be quite interested to see any material you have about Chi and perhaps how it relates to modern scientific understanding if possible.

#89159 - 02/28/05 03:45 PM Re: well, I'm in trouble with laf7773 so could anyone tell me about normal ki not "rad"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (which is a part of the Natioanl Institutes of Health or NIH) has an interesting website at:
http://nccam.nih.gov/

Using their search feature with words like qi, qigong, acupuncture, etc. will bring up some interesting reading.

If you have anything specific to discuss, I'd be happy to.

Michael

#89160 - 02/28/05 06:43 PM Re: well, I'm in trouble with laf7773 so could anyone tell me about normal ki not "rad"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks a lot man,

It's much appreciated and very interesting. Especially the stuff on putative energy fields.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga